Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will tuition fees be lowered again when Labour comes to power again? (2015) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course, we don't know whether Labour will win the next election but I have to say they are the lesser evil (in a race against Tories, UKIP and Lib Dems - I don't think the Green Party has a chance although I would vote for them if I could).

So let's presume it will be Labour again. Do you think they would lower the tuition fees again?

I have the feeling that neither Tories nor UKIP would change the tuition fees - the Tories would probably just raise them again (in accordance to inflation).

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so - they're all just Tories at heart anyway :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, everything will be free and the streets will be paved with gold! Until we become bankrupt again because eventually we will run out of other people's money

Then those nasty Tories will have to come in and tell us we can't afford all that. *******s!

ReputationRep:
    They won't change them. Although it would be rather comical if Labour had a manifesto promise to reduce tuition fees and the Lib Dems didn't.

ReputationRep:
    The party that commenced fees and then tripled them? I think most people here think that life only began in 2010.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppcc)
    Of course, we don't know whether Labour will win the next election but I have to say they are the lesser evil (in a race against Tories, UKIP and Lib Dems - I don't think the Green Party has a chance although I would vote for them if I could).

So let's presume it will be Labour again. Do you think they would lower the tuition fees again?

I have the feeling that neither Tories nor UKIP would change the tuition fees - the Tories would probably just raise them again (in accordance to inflation).

What do you think?
    I think they would probably would lower them a bit but not too the same degree as what they originally were.

This BBC article from 2011 quotes £6000 tuition fees. Although things have changed since then.

I couldn't see Conservative raising the tuition fees again. It took this long for them to raised this far.

ReputationRep:
    They certainly won't. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in fees to £15-20,000 within a decade for the top institutions.

However, if you're already at university now, you should welcome a future rise in tuition fees, as it narrows the pool of graduates meaning your degree gains value.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they wont, well, maybe a year before the next election if they win :rolleyes:

Just like income tax. 11 years at a 40% rate, a year or so before they get ousted they knock it up to 50% and then scream about 'those damned Tories!' lowering it to 45%. And of course the public will lap it up.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think they would. People forget that they introduced tuition fees in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    Even if they did...

... what about current students who have enrolled with £9000 tuition fees, would they get a refund or their debt reduced ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Even if they did...

... what about current students who have enrolled with £9000 tuition fees, would they get a refund or their debt reduced ?
    Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they would lower them, but I can't see the benefit of raising them either. There must be a cut-off point where raising the fees too high just means they're never paid off at all. I wouldn't care if the fees were raised to £100,000 per year tomorrow afternoon - I still wouldn't ever be able to pay it back, so there's no point in charging that much. It's the repayment rate which really affects graduates. 9% over £21k of income is not a lot, but there will come a point where people just simply cannot repay that within the 30 year stretch and the repayments would be dropped anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Yes, everything will be free and the streets will be paved with gold! Until we become bankrupt again because eventually we will run out of other people's money

Then those nasty Tories will have to come in and tell us we can't afford all that. *******s!

(Not meant in a partisan way, btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    The party that commenced fees and then tripled them? I think most people here think that life only began in 2010.
    Sorry, I've only been here since 2010 but I'm very open to learn more about British politics before that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppcc)

It was Labour (Blair's government) who introduced tuition fees in the late 90s, then top up fees in the mid 00s. Although these were introduced after a recommendation by the Dearing Report, which was institgated by the Major (Tory) government. Then Mandelson announced a further review in 2009 which in all likelihood would have paved the way for increasing tuition fees.

So, no I don't, particularly if the economy hasn't improved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)

The irony being that tripling tuition fees costs the government more in the short term because they have to find three times the money to loan to everybody studying at university :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    The irony being that tripling tuition fees costs the government more in the short term because they have to find three times the money to loan to everybody studying at university :rolleyes:
    Well, had top up fees not been introduced Universities UK (The lobbying group) would have probably pushed for further funding anyway (which doesn't mean this additional funding wouldn't have been grated, I think they were still after almost £9 billion with top up fees).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    You are aware that that money would have otherwise gone straight to the institution? So instead of it going straight to the institution they "loan" it to the students who give it to the institution.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they will, and they will pay for it with fairy dust and gumdrop smiles YAY! go LABOUR !

ReputationRep:
    The Green Party?!?!?....How can you vote for a party led by a woman?

and dont tell me women can be leaders too...Thatcher doesnt count, she was a man born in a woman's body.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.