Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this good for a career objective on my CV if im looking for a career in IT (not hands on technical)

CAREER OBJECTIVE
    Physics Graduate with a wealth of experience within business roles looking to attain a graduate position that utilities my technical and business capabilities and fulfills my passion for Technology at a leading international company.

EDIT:

This is my new version:

CAREER OBJECTIVE
    Physics Graduate with a passion in technology looking to attain a career that utilises my technical and business capabilities at a leading international company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeurmind)
    Is this good for a career objective on my CV if im looking for a career in IT (not hands on technical)

CAREER OBJECTIVE
    Physics Graduate with a wealth of experience within business roles looking to attain a graduate position that utilities my technical and business capabilities and fulfills my passion for Technology at a leading international company.

EDIT:

This is my new version:

CAREER OBJECTIVE
    Physics Graduate with a passion in technology looking to attain a career that utilises my technical and business capabilities at a leading international company.
    I think lose the capital 'G' in Graduate.

I always prefer plain English - why say 'utilise' rather than 'use'? It's a bit management-speaky for my tastes but perhaps that is the norm in the kind of work you are looking for.

I'd go for something like:

Physics graduate with a passion for technology, looking to bring technical and business skills to a career with a leading international company.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of it. Those 'career objective' paragraphs look silly and serve no purpose.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd say this is not particularly necessary. Either you're applying for a job which presumably does that, in which case it's redundant, or you're applying for a job unrelated which would just put a huge sign saying "I won't stay in this job for long" to the employer.

You want your C.V. to be simple, effective, and easily understood. If you're applying for jobs such as this, then it's understood that you want them. Your C.V. highlights your skill set, abilities and experience. This gets you to interview. You can let your enthusiasm for the job and the career come through if you get an interview (and indeed should!) but I wouldn't put this on a C.V. if I were you.

Of course, it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Get rid of it. Those 'career objective' paragraphs look silly and serve no purpose.
    Here we can see Tokyoround got there before me because their post was a lot more short, sweet and effectively to the point. There's a lesson to be learned in there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    Here we can see Tokyoround got there before me because their post was a lot more short, sweet and effectively to the point. There's a lesson to be learned in there...
    (Original post by Tokyoround)

Its because I'm doing a completely unrelated degree and you know how HR and others may not know that my degree fits with this

ReputationRep:
    Its because I'm doing a completely unrelated degree and you know how HR and others may not know that my degree fits with this
    Doesn't matter, one look at a paragraph and your CV is in the bin. Your entire CV should short, sharp and to the point. Do your explaining about your degree etc. at the interview stage.

(Original post by Schichtoe)

ReputationRep:
    Irrellevent, honestly.

Not technical IT, I'm going to assume some sort of IT consulting/sales at a Big 4, Accenture, IBM type application.

Physics is not completely unrelated, it's a solid scientific degree which is more than enough.

edit - Source: I've been in big 4 consulting for 4 years, I'm at a grade wear I mark assessment centres and do first round interviews. Frankly, I don't give a **** what degree you have aslong as you meet the academic requirements, everything else we can teach you if you're switched on and willing to learn.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

Get rid. Most employers use them as a tool to get rid of applications. They are looking to hire people that want to do the job they are offering, not who begin their pitch by describing what they want to be doing in x years time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.