Simple Core 3 verification wanted - large values of lns -> converge or diverge where? Watch

BigAppleTree
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello, the question I have is "Given f(x) = ln x, sketch on the same diagram the graphs of y = f(x) and y = 4f(x-1). Label the coordinates of the point of intersection of each of the graphs with the x axis. Indicate the behaviour of each of the graphs for large positive and large negative values of y."

Large negative values of the f(x) would converge towards 0, and large negative values of 4f(x-1) would converge towards 1. What would happen to large positive values, though?
div curl F = 0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi,

For large positive values of Y (Y = Ln(x) ----> x = exp(Y) and Y = 4Ln(x-1) ----> x = 1 + exp(Y/4)), X tends to infinity, i.e. the function blows up, however the gradient becomes smaller and smaller until it reaches infinity where the gradient becomes zero. So the function will tend to infinity as X tends to infinity and the gradient will tend to zero as X -----> V.Large.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads