The Student Room Group

Southampton or Bristol for Mechanical/Aeronautical

I'm currently on my gap year and achieved A*AA last year (the minimum requirement for Bristol and Southampton) but I'm stuck on choosing which on to put as my firm for Aeronautical engineering.

I have always wanted to do engineering and decided upon Aeronautics because i do have a slight fascination with planes but I was never 100% on doing 4 years of aeronautics. So far I know that Bristol is the hub of the aeronautical sector in the UK and a good degree from there would be better for my employability chance with the local industries such as Airbus and Rolls Royce. Overall a degree from Bristol for engineering also seems to more prestige attached to it than say a degree than Southampton, it has always had a reputation as a famous engineering city. The course at Bristol is Aero based from the first day, which I assume makes the bristol course better than Soton for aero but as i'm not 100% on Aero, I worry that a might not actually like it!
Southampton seems to have a good course and the fact that they share a lot of the first year with mechanical engineering, allowing me to really make my mind up, makes it really attractive. The course however seems to be a bit more F1 focused than planes as such, unlike Bristol. I really have no interest in F1 and find it incredibly boring, I wouldn't mind doing a few projects but it seems a lot of people going to Soton for Aero are there to get into F1.
On the universities themselves I liked Soton's campus better. I have visited it several times and I liked the idea of everything being in one place rather than being spread out as in the case of Bristol. On my visit to Bristol on their open day, it was rushed and I just didn't get first good impressions, the never ending Hills and the spread out campus didn't do it for me. I know Bristol has culture flowing out of it but for the life of me I didn't find it welcoming and warm like Soton. I known Bristol has a better nightlife but I'm not a clubbing sort of guy and I'm more interested in opportunities to take part in sports.
The easy choice would be to go to Soton where I know i might be happier and do a course where I can truly make a good decision in the first year about doing aero for the next 3 years. this is at the risk of declining a chance to go to one of the best aero unis in the UK where although I might find it hard initially, i will leave with a far more recognised and valued degree that will leave me in good stead for the thing that really matters ,employment.
I'm sorry for making it so long but I thought I should put all my thoughts down so people know where I stand and can spend their valuable time giving me advice rather than wasting time sending replies back and forth.
thanks
Reply 1
bump...
Reply 2
Where did you end up??
Reply 3
Original post by Omzie
Where did you end up??

I went to Soton, as I believed it was a better fit for me in terms of the inter-disciplinary nature of the course and campus being compact rather than spread out like Bristol. I am glad I made that choice as I had the most amazing time.

My advice to you would be to chose the uni on which you have a gut feeling where you would be happy but also provides you with a scope to grow and challenge yourself. As long as it is within the top 5 Aero departments in the U.K you will be absolutely fine regarding employability, internships and the rest.

Having graduated and worked for major companies through internships, I can honestly tell if you it doesn't matter where you do your undergraduate as long as you shine and absolutely own it.
Original post by hanros
I went to Soton, as I believed it was a better fit for me in terms of the inter-disciplinary nature of the course and campus being compact rather than spread out like Bristol. I am glad I made that choice as I had the most amazing time.

My advice to you would be to chose the uni on which you have a gut feeling where you would be happy but also provides you with a scope to grow and challenge yourself. As long as it is within the top 5 Aero departments in the U.K you will be absolutely fine regarding employability, internships and the rest.

Having graduated and worked for major companies through internships, I can honestly tell if you it doesn't matter where you do your undergraduate as long as you shine and absolutely own it.

could you help me choosing a university ? i received offer letters form both bristol and southampton. i am an international student and for me the campus doesnt matter much but then i need to know about the research opportunities, the course (btw i love space, and i wanted to choose southampton just for its space related modulus) , the placements.
Original post by rishisama0
could you help me choosing a university ? i received offer letters form both bristol and southampton. i am an international student and for me the campus doesnt matter much but then i need to know about the research opportunities, the course (btw i love space, and i wanted to choose southampton just for its space related modulus) , the placements.

I would go to Southampton - their facilities are amazing.
Original post by Muttley79
I would go to Southampton - their facilities are amazing.

where r u studying ?
Original post by rishisama0
where r u studying ?

I'm a maths teacher - the facilities at Southampton were designed for Engineers by Engineers ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending