Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(anon please, my dignity is low enough)

Okay, so I met this girl at a party last friday. We really got along, I grew a pair and got her number. We were texting really well, and I got a date with her *high five* which she's been actively telling people about.

However I was talking to one of her best friends, she said she only values me as a friend, nothing more *noooo!*. However i'm not giving in just yet. We're off to the same party tonight, i'm always pretty physical anyway and she was with me (when we had a photo, she put her hand on my thigh, serious stuff I know). But I digress, what do I do, give her space and let her approach/text me first? And on the date, do would it be a good plan of action to play my hand, reveal how I feel, or should I just back off now the dreaded friendzone/rejection is looming?

Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    Act on people's actions not on their words.

If she goes on a date with you and is displaying physical interest, disregard anything she says about being friends - it means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    She might just be telling her friends to play it cool around you.
    You can't always judge how much a person likes you through what her friends say.
    Just approach her at the party and start chatting and flirting. She took your number and agreed to the date, she's at least considering whether she likes you or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    (anon please, my dignity is low enough)

Okay, so I met this girl at a party last friday. We really got along, I grew a pair and got her number. We were texting really well, and I got a date with her *high five* which she's been actively telling people about.

However I was talking to one of her best friends, she said she only values me as a friend, nothing more *noooo!*. However i'm not giving in just yet. We're off to the same party tonight, i'm always pretty physical anyway and she was with me (when we had a photo, she put her hand on my thigh, serious stuff I know). But I digress, what do I do, give her space and let her approach/text me first? And on the date, do would it be a good plan of action to play my hand, reveal how I feel, or should I just back off now the dreaded friendzone/rejection is looming?

Thanks all.
    a lot of girls will often say 'i like them only as a friend' in case nothing happens. She wouldn't be texting you if she didnt like you, and even if she didn't she would be leading you on which is just harsh from her point. Anyway, what i'm really saying is, is that she may want you to do the running to prove that you actually like her so she doesn't get let down.

girls' minds are great you see...

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes if I go on a first date with a guy (I assume you're a guy?) I tell my friends its just a friendly, casual drink or something - girls get so nosy sometimes haha, and if you don't know how it's gonna work out sometimes its better to just be cautious and not raise your friends' expectations.

She wouldn't be going out with you with just the two of you after getting touchy feely at a party if she wasn't interested in more than friendship, you're definitely not in the friendzone.

I know this is really immature and stupid, but I hate texting guys first (fear of seeming clingy and annoying haha). Don't stop texting her if she's texting back happily.

As for letting her know how you feel, just compliment her on her hair/eyes/general appearance subtly, and I'd recommend insisting on paying for the food/drink/movie/whatever (I know, I know, it's not the Victorian era any more but this is a decent way of making it clear that you're treating it as a date, not just a friendly catch up).

ReputationRep:
    Just see how the date goes. If she gave you her number, messages you and wants to go on a date, chances are she likes you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.