Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Thought I'll start blogging myself even through I haven't started uni yet. Fresher 2013.

Just a bit of background, am 24 been in work for over five years. Lets just say I haven't really made any ground with getting a career which I enjoy. So I been on and off employed. So I decided to do something about this. My only job I enjoy was working as a sports coach with primary school children. I taught after school clubs and PE lessons. But there isn't much work is this area. So I thought what could I do to get myself a career with decent salary. I then thought of becoming a PE teacher. So I decided to do a degree in physical education.

So I applied for 3 unis but 5 course in November. I applied to two course at university of Bedfordshire and university if Brighton. I also applied to university of Greenwich. I didn't have much luck at first. Was rejected within fours of application by university of Greenwich. Things pick up a week later when I got an email. From university of Bedfordshire for course sport and physical education. Asking me to send copies of my certificates other by post or fax. So got my mum to fax them for me. Later that day I got my first unconditional offer was chuffed. First choice uni but not first choice course. But things went downhill from there by Christmas I was rejected for both course at Brighton and my first choice at Bedfordshire. So I had a choice to make either go and do sport and physical education course or find something else when extra opens. In the end, I decided to take the offer, as I can still get where I want with this course and really liked the uni. It was my first choice uni, so I was happy.

So am moving from Kent to Bedford in September and I can't wait.

More to come soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, we'll since firming my offer. I have sorted out my student finance out. So that's sorted. Applied for accommodation at uni, just waiting for confirmation of room offer as my offer unconditional so should know soon. Whether I got into the halls i want.

So am pretty much sorted on that front, got a few things to sort nearer time. Like parking permit and student account.

Just saving loads, at moment from job. But it's also a nightmare I keep thinking of things I need to but for uni which keeps moving the price up of money I need to save for things I need for start of uni.

Haven't started buying anything yet for uni but will soon. So much to get.

Just so looking forward to freshers in September.

Stay tuned more too come

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys

Just so looking forward to going to uni in September. Already getting myself sorted. Money, list of stuff I need to get which keeps getting bigger and more expensive. My budget also keeps going up as well, which kind of sucks, as I keep thinking of things that I should budget for. I don't think I had an idea of how much stuff I would have to get. Hopefully I'll be getting new laptop, new printer which is also scanner and copier.

I have brought anything yet, but will be starting soon hopefully. As I don't want a mad panic in the week before, getting everything I need.

Can't wait to start my course in sport and physical education, finally going to be doing something am passionate about.

Stay tuned guys.

ReputationRep:
    The weekend always goes so quick. I don't where it goes at times and then all of sudden it's Monday morning and am back in work which sucks. So looking forward to uni. No sodding 6am wakes ups.

I had a very jammed packed weekend. It all started Friday night, with ice hockey training at 11pm. I didn't get home till 1:30am. I got up late Saturday morning and had paperwork to sort out. Recently moved house. Spend a little time chilling, then it's time to get ready to go play in an ice hockey game. It was suppose to be a league game but end up friendly as other team fortified due to lack of players but still turned up to play. So the friendly end up with the other team boring four of our players. It was a good game through we dominated it. Final score was 7-1 to us. I played a lot more than I normally do. Got my first goal for team, after playing for team for four seasons. Plus my second player of game award. So was totally chuffed, plus so glad I didn't mess it up. As I have had chance before and have gone for the park and completely missed the puck. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1366617522.089109.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  150.4 KB

So Saturday was a tiring day, yet Sunday wasn't a rest either.

I was up at 8am, breakfasted and dressed and out by 8:30. I had a army cadet testing day. Am a adult instructor so volunteer my time to help. Was a really busy day getting the cadets tested in varies subjects. By time I got home it was half past four. Few hours chill time, then sort out for work next day.

It was a really good weekend, just wish it hadn't been so busy.

Stay tuned for more updates

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Just so looking forward to uni, yet it's still five months away. My job doesn't help, uni the one thing keeping me positive and focused. I need the money for uni, so know I just got to stick with it for time being. Uni will come around quicker than I will realise. I'll know it's getting near. When I go away with the army cadets, for two weeks in August. Where I intend to give my work. More notice then needed. Plus leave week before uni, so I can get sorted and just have a little break before starting uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The emotion hit me this evening, after email from an ice hockey team mate. Regarding that I was leaving the team. It really hit me, the season almost over. One away game left that's it, my end of time with invicta dynamics. After playing four years for the team. I had my first gut retching feeling and felt upset. I suppose I hadn't really thought about how I felt about leaving. Last game was my best game. I realise I really am going to miss the team.

It's how I been feeling about my volunteering with cadets. Am going to be leaving adults I worked with for almost two and half years. Plus cadets that I have seen achieve and grow. Am worried about having to start all over afresh in a new Acf county. Going to have to make new bonds with adults and new cadets. Again I feel sad about going.

Am trying to make most of time I got left here in Kent. But I also tell myself, that I need to do this to get myself somewhere. That's is why am doing this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

Just a regular boring day in my full time job at moment. Can't wait to leave in september and start on my journey towards a career I really value.

Am at my job, 12 hours a day, five days a week and don't feel like I have much a life during the week. I spend half a day, five days a week at work. Which is a lot in a job where am undervalued and underpaid. My social life has been impacted by the hours I do. Leaving me with limited time to do things outside of work.

I feel like am wasting my time, is this job. Am sat here each day with little to do at times. But expected to be at my post for pretty much my whole shift. I have my lunch while I have to continue dealing with my job when it comes up. I don't ever get the chance to take a break away from the job, due to how they want it here. Which isn't right or legal. I work 60 hours a week, with little choice. As am able to get down my hours due to company rule where I have to work five days a week. I never sign the opt out for working time directive and I been working 60 hours most weeks since August. This again is illegal. Yet there nothing I can do, as if I push about this, am likely to loss my job. Which I need right now to save enough for uni in september. It's one reason why I keep going, otherwise I'll have quit a long time ago.

This job, has given me the push to get where I want. As I do not want to be doing this work and similar work, for the rest of my working life.

Uni my chance to really make something of myself. I

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni, is a dream come true. As I never thought I would be able to go. I left secondary and I didn't think I'll ever be going to uni. But I am, I just didn't think I would be able to get in uni.

I had teachers who think I wouldn't get gcses but I proved them wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today, was first day where I doubted my decision to go to uni. I keep saying to myself, am I making the right decision.

I'll be giving up a full time job, for uni. Admittedly it's a job I hate and want out. But I do question myself, is this the right decision to do.

Am I doing this for wrong reasons, as I do want out of my job. Uni a way out.

With the money I put away, I could afford to move out of home. Live with my boyfriend.

But I say to myself, am doing this because I want a better career and a job I enjoy. As I don't want to waste my life doing a job I hate. What's the point of doing a job you don't like for years.

Me going to uni is my chance to get a job I enjoy. Am passionate about working with children and sport. So hopefully doing this sport and physical education degree is pushing me in right direction to be a pe teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzielizzie)
    It's how I been feeling about my volunteering with cadets. Am going to be leaving adults I worked with for almost two and half years. Plus cadets that I have seen achieve and grow. Am worried about having to start all over afresh in a new Acf county. Going to have to make new bonds with adults and new cadets. Again I feel sad about going.
    FYI I am an instructor in Beds & Herts ACF. Let me know if you need any assistance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I may need some help at some point. My company in Kent already aware that am leaving and have said they will help me with my transfer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please proof read. Too many unexpected and unnecessary full stops dotted about. IMO this would be far better to put in a blog site rather than TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well it might be better on a blog site. But I have posted in the blog section on TSR. As have others, who are also blogging. You don't have to read my post, and I don't see why you had to post on it to make a comment about proof reading and full stops. It's a student blog.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I may need some help at some point. My company in Kent already aware that am leaving and have said they will help me with my transfer.
    If you do, email me. I sometimes forget this forum exists...

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited Bedford yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yea twice, I went once by myself for open day and second time for applicant day where I also brought my boyfriend. Wanted to show the boyfriend where I was going to be studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yea twice, I went once by myself for open day and second time for applicant day where I also brought my boyfriend. Wanted to show the boyfriend where I was going to be studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you had a look round the town? What are your first impressions? Bedford's my hometown and I'm always interested to see what other people think of the place.

ReputationRep:
    I had a brief looking around town, after one visit. Just glad it's got a cineworld, as am an unlimited member. Plus I enjoy going to cinema quite a lot. I liked what I saw. But only had a brief look, could of had more of look. But didn't have much time as I had to get home back to Kent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Sorry not updated for a while, am always busy, mainly with work. I think my main big stress at the moment is will I have enough to get by this year when I start uni. Sometimes I ask myself why am I worrying when I will have saved enough to cover myself without my loan this year. Plus likely to have some more money from salary put away, how much depends on whether this cover continues till I leave for uni or not. Which I don't that out of my hands. I keep asking myself, have I set enough for this and that. Which for everything bar sports outside of uni. I think are about right or slightly over estimated.

My sports outside fund is 200 pounds, so about 20 a month. Which isn't much, the two sports I want to continue doing at uni, are both a bit away from uni which is fine as am taking my car. But one cost a lot more than the other. They are ice hockey which I been doing a lot currently but cost a lot and doubt I can really afford it at uni, through I don't want to quit. Through I know I won't be able to take my kit straight away with me. The other is karate where I have my black belt, I haven't trained a lot in this due to my current location where my association is not based. This is a lot cheaper, 26 pounds for licence, about five pounds per lesson. Other cost are course and gradings but won't be attending a lot of those.

I want to get back into karate so that a something I will be doing. A couple of times a month.

Ice hockey is more difficult, something am going to have too see about. I think it's a case of putting some extra money away. Just incase I feel I got the time and money that am able to.

Sports mean a lot to me, am doing a sport and physical education degree. I want to be a pe teacher. Which is why am looking forward to uni, being able to take part in some sports.

I got a free weekend this weekend and house to myself. So am going to have a chilled weekend, cinema for a movie and just general relaxing. Got odd thing to do but not much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Things are going well finally everything coming together for September. When I head of to uni.

Got my accommodation sorted for when I start end of September. Which is great had offer through yesterday. Got halls and room I wanted. I got a deluxe en-suite room with double bed. Just glad everything sorted with this. Had been waiting too find out for weeks.

The other success I had recently was getting a parking permit for uni car park. Am living on campus but don't have any other help getting to uni and have quite a bit of stuff too get too uni. So really need a permit which I have got. Plus then it's easier for me too get home and I can go to places further a field while at uni.

Only a few things too sort now out now such as stuff I need, student bank account, writing notice to work.

But I got a lot going on in next few months. Am working up till a week before I go to uni. Which kind of sucks but more money I have the better.

I got a cadet weekend coming up and annual camp for two weeks in August. So it's not all work, through camp going to be just as tiring. Oh well it's extra money in my pocket. As I get some of my camp money cash in hand which is good. That money going to my freshers fund, so I get money for being on camp plus getting paid for my annual leave. .

Just can't wait too start, not so long now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.