Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I graduated Uni in 2012 from Derby with a 2:1 in Accounting and Finance, which gives me 8 exemptions from ACCA/CIMA.

I took part in the Camp America programme straight from University until October, when I took up a role at an SME as an Accounts Assistant. This role was temporary and finished today after 6 months. I managed to gain good exposure to different areas in Management Accounting and Purchase Ledger and also learnt SAGE 200, which is always a bonus!

Since the role began I have been applying for jobs to try and secure permanent employment, but with no success!!

I really want a role that provides study support to complete ACCA/CIMA exams.

However, if I don't secure a role that provides this, I am considering completing a postgraduate degree in either ACCA or CIMA, which will mean that I will complete all examinations required to qualify as an Accountant and I will only need the work experience.

What do you think to this? Would it make employers view me as more of an option if they don't have to provide support for exams? Or will they overlook me as they want a trainee who hasn't completed the examinations?

I know that you might not have specific knowledge, but any ideas that you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Also, my A Levels are poor, C in IT, D in Business and AS grade D in statistical mathematics. But I hope that the experience I have gained my previous role, may make employers overlook this!

ReputationRep:
    ACA feels left out of your post

ReputationRep:
    Haha! My A-Level grades unfortunately restrict me from the ACA!

If it was going to really affect me I would re-sit my A-Levels to get the required grades to complete ACA, but from what I have heard from colleagues at work and friends who have secured ACA contracts, ACCA is not far behind and it is only a small minority who would place preference on an ACA over an ACCA once qualified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowarth)
    Hi,

I graduated Uni in 2012 from Derby with a 2:1 in Accounting and Finance, which gives me 8 exemptions from ACCA/CIMA.

I took part in the Camp America programme straight from University until October, when I took up a role at an SME as an Accounts Assistant. This role was temporary and finished today after 6 months. I managed to gain good exposure to different areas in Management Accounting and Purchase Ledger and also learnt SAGE 200, which is always a bonus!

Since the role began I have been applying for jobs to try and secure permanent employment, but with no success!!

I really want a role that provides study support to complete ACCA/CIMA exams.

However, if I don't secure a role that provides this, I am considering completing a postgraduate degree in either ACCA or CIMA, which will mean that I will complete all examinations required to qualify as an Accountant and I will only need the work experience.

What do you think to this? Would it make employers view me as more of an option if they don't have to provide support for exams? Or will they overlook me as they want a trainee who hasn't completed the examinations?

I know that you might not have specific knowledge, but any ideas that you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Also, my A Levels are poor, C in IT, D in Business and AS grade D in statistical mathematics. But I hope that the experience I have gained my previous role, may make employers overlook this!
    I don't think there is a post graduate degree that gives you all the exemptions, plus you need 3 years experience! As far as I know all the professional papers need to be attempted, and there's no exemption from them

ReputationRep:
    Hey just as a question, why did you choose to study Accounting and Finance at uni over getting an apprenticeship ?

ReputationRep:
    I believed at the time that getting a degree would be a fast track route over an apprenticeship!

ReputationRep:
    Any feedback on your rejections? Possibly your CV may need some work? You certainly sound like someone worth taking a chance on. I would only do a postgrad as a last resort really, they're quite expensive and may not even help your situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowarth)
    I believed at the time that getting a degree would be a fast track route over an apprenticeship!
    So you don't regret going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. To be honest, your academic record isn’t going to get you very far. You have clearly got your act together to have graduated with a 2.1, but it still makes you much more of a risk than all the other candidates with consistent academic records who have got 2.1 / 1st from “better” universities or who went down the school leaver /AAT route. You’re going to have to rely on gaining experience, showing commitment and proving you can tackle the exams.

Do you want to work in industry or practice? If you see your future in industry I think you need to carry on down the temping route and study for ACCA on your own. As a minimum you are getting relevant experience and an income, and it gives you the opportunity to impress employers which may lead to a longer term position. If you see yourself in practice, you are going to have to sell yourself to smaller firms. Do you have practical experience of accounts preparation or bookkeeping to help you get a foot in the door?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.