Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience of this?

I know that whatever I do it would be very expensive, but are there any ways of getting funding? Are there any special requirements? Is it any more than a vague possibility?

Obviously I'm in the process of researching this myself, but anything extra you can give me will be enormously appreciated, even if it's "what the hell do you think that will achieve?".

My background;
    Spoiler:
    Show

I have a decent academic background pre-university, but not at university.

GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    9A*, 3A

A-levels
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maths A*
    Further maths A*
    Chemistry A*
    Physics A*
    English Lit A*
    Classical Greek A

Biology AS - A

Other
    Spoiler:
    Show

English AEA - Dist.
    Chemistry Olympiad - Silver
    Maths Challenges - good record, mentoring, summer school etc.
    Salters Chemistry camp

University
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maths at Oxford

Y1 - 2:1
    Y2 - 2:2 (this will be a major problem)
    Y3 - expecting a 1st (genuinely)
    Y4 - expecting a 1st.

Overall: 2:1, plus masters (integrated)

I will not get a good reference from Oxford.

Basically, I'm not sure I did the right subject, or that I want a career with it. If I get a first or a 2:1 in this degree, and I can get some relevant experience, would I have any chance applying for medicine? And at what types of universities? Also, will not having the full biology A-level hold me back?

As a final point, would I be eligible to apply for armed forces funding? I'm 20 currently, and have been very active in my university's URNU. I don't mind a medical armed forces career.

Thank you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You have a very good chance with GEM courses.

You have extremely good GCSE's and A-level grades, as well as a great predicted classification on your degree.

As you have taken Chemistry at A2, it does help. However, you haven't studied any biological topics at either A-level/degree. This may limit your choices of universities.
    Although some universities state that they do not take GCSE/A-level into account.

Where you can apply can be found on the GEM course wiki on TSR

You should also call/email universities to make sure you meet their requirements.

The most important thing you should be looking for, before even applying to a GEM course, is work experience/volunteering.:jive:

This can be anything from a few days/week shadowing a doctor, volunteering for a few months/year in a hospital or care home. As you rightfully said, you don't know whether you made the right choice for your degree and career - undertaking some form of work experience would help to affirm that Medicine is the right career for you.

Funding, UKCAT, and many other things can be found the GEM wiki

Take a look at the GEM applicants thread as well, it should help to discuss applications with other students that are taking the same route: GEM Applicants Society
    (they're a happy folk and should help to answer any questions you have, and not as condescending as the word 'society' may have you believe them to be:ninja:)

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** that is a good academic background. I don't think you'll have too many worries in that department As above, check the course requirements on the GEM Wiki and you'll note you easily match the requirements for most schools. The only further point to make is that you need some good experience of what medicine is really like through shadowing, and if you have any voluntary or care roles that you can undertake, that'll boost your chance significantly.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both very much for your help - I'll keep on researching

Particularly useful to know they put so much emphasis on experience - I'll try to organise it, possibly through my current university. Also, useful to know about the GEM society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.