Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I may have it. One of my parents had it and I am experiencing a few of the symptoms. I'm starting a full time job in about 3/4 of a month, and i'm worried I may end up being diagnosed with it and having to take time off a job that i've only just started.

If I go to the doctors, and it is Crohn's Disease, is it likely I will have to have operations or anything straight away, or will they just give me some medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think I may have it. One of my parents had it and I am experiencing a few of the symptoms. I'm starting a full time job in about 3/4 of a month, and i'm worried I may end up being diagnosed with it and having to take time off a job that i've only just started.

If I go to the doctors, and it is Crohn's Disease, is it likely I will have to have operations or anything straight away, or will they just give me some medicine?
    I would get yourself to the doctors and get yourself checked out asap - if it turns out to be Crohn's, then you can get treated as quick as possible and hugely reduce the risk of complications; if it turns out you don't, then bonus!

You only need surgery for Crohn's as a result of complications such as bowel obstructions and fistulae, which unless you are suddenly very sick, are unlikely if you are experiencing some less severe symptoms.

So - early treatments = less likely that you'll need surgery at some point, and the less problems you may develop.

I hope that answers your questions and good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.