Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hotmail has started sending out spam from my account Watch

ReputationRep:
    And unfortunately it's the one I've been using for job applications

Is there any chance my application receivers could have got a spam email? I don't really think they'll hire me if they receive a 'LOOK AT THIS!1!!11' spam link.

How do I stop it doing that? I've changed my password and my security info. I have McAffee anti-virus I think. Is there anything I need to download to remove/check there's nothing on my computer?

ReputationRep:
    It is possible that someone is spoofing your account which basically means they are sending emails that appear to be from you to your contact list however it doesn't actually come from your account. To check have someone who has received a spam email from you check the header to see where it is actually sent from, if it is a spoof that will be different from your usual one.

If that isn't what is happening and someone does have access to your account then personally i would recommend running a program like malwarebytes from safemode, also run the Microsoft windows malicious software removal tool. Also make sure to change your password to something stronger, honestly i would recommend you move away from Hotmail as they are a piece of crap however if you do choose to stay i would maybe look into getting an authenticator attached to your account (although i have no idea if Hotmail has this option available) that basically will generate a random code every so often which is usually only available from an app on your phone, it will make it very very hard for anyone to get onto your account as unless they physically have your mobile and have access to it they won't know the code and it is very very very unlikely they will be able to figure it out as it changes (usually every 60 seconds) and the algorithms used to generate said code are usually super duper secure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.