Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I previously studied 1 year at university, but dropped out after that year for whatever reason. Since dropping out i have completed a access course in engineering, with the hope of going back to uni after the course finishes. I received full student finance for the year i had done, including an over payment of £500 which i still owe to student finance.
    I have received offers from 4 uni's, 2 of them are to do a 3 year computer science course(Manchester met and salford), and the other 2 are to do foundation years, with the hope of progressing onto 3 year computer science degrees(Manchester and Southampton).
    3 questions:
    1) If i choose to go to Manchester Met or salford, what student finance will i be eligible to receive? not taking into account bursaries or whatever, just what tuition fee's will get paid, and for how long?
    2)What about if i choose Manchester or Southampton?
    3)What about if i choose to do a 4 year Masters?

I have phoned student finance but to be frank they don't understand how to answer questions..
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by andy07070)
    I previously studied 1 year at university, but dropped out after that year for whatever reason. Since dropping out i have completed a access course in engineering, with the hope of going back to uni after the course finishes. I received full student finance for the year i had done, including an over payment of £500 which i still owe to student finance.
    I have received offers from 4 uni's, 2 of them are to do a 3 year computer science course(Manchester met and salford), and the other 2 are to do foundation years, with the hope of progressing onto 3 year computer science degrees(Manchester and Southampton).
    3 questions:
    1) If i choose to go to Manchester Met or salford, what student finance will i be eligible to receive? not taking into account bursaries or whatever, just what tuition fee's will get paid, and for how long?
    2)What about if i choose Manchester or Southampton?
    3)What about if i choose to do a 4 year Masters?

I have phoned student finance but to be frank they don't understand how to answer questions..
    Hi andy07070,

Student Finance allow you to take 1 year of student finance without it affecting your future entitlements to loan.

If you do a 3 year course you will be allowed 3 years of funding for tuition and living costs.

If its a 4 year course (3 years + 1 year foundation) you would get 4 years worth of funding.

If you choose to do a combined masters course where the course lasts for 4 years, you would get funding for all four years. However if you choose to do a Bachelors degree then at a later point opt to do a Masters this would not count as a combined course and you would have to self fund this element.

You will need to check with Student Finance how they deal with your overpayment. It maybe that your future loans will be reduced or you may have to repay it via another route.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your studies

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the thorough response. Let me just make sure i got this right. I am edging towards a foundation year at Manchester Uni, and then going on to do a 4 year computer science combined masters (http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/under...es/cs/cs-meng/)
    So would i be eligible for 1 years foundation plus 4 year combined masters?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the thorough response. Let me just make sure i got this right. I am edging towards Manchester Uni, doing 1 years foundation course, and then a 4 year computer science combined masters. Would i be eligible for 1 year foundation + 4 years masters?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by andy07070)
    Thanks for the thorough response. Let me just make sure i got this right. I am edging towards Manchester Uni, doing 1 years foundation course, and then a 4 year computer science combined masters. Would i be eligible for 1 year foundation + 4 years masters?
    Hi andy07070,

Yes, you would get funding for all 5 years.

Student finance allows you the length of your course, plus 1 year less any previous study. So in your case, its a 5 year course, so 5+1 = 6, less the 1 year you have already done, leaving you with funding for all 5 years.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    That is darn excellent news, thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.