Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why Do We Have To Accept Ourselves To Be Successful? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hear a lot now, especially on campus, that to be truly successful we have to accept who we are and love ourselves.

We are born into societies which expect people to mature and develop as individuals, pressurising us to be 'the best we can be' in an environment where we are surrounded by perfectionism. The result is that we get a generation of people insecure about how they look, how well they perform, how they measure up in the rest of society, all on the basis of comparison.

When people learn to love and accept themselves, they can find happiness (I'm assuming from all the hype, I wouldn't know personally). And this gives them the confidence to be happy with who they are as well as continue on with being able to accept criticism.

However, many who do not find success in pushing themselves to greater boundaries. It seems contrary to the notion of success to be able to simply be happy with the current - the pusher will continue to strive for the best.

The dilemma for this type of person is that whilst they will probably be successful, they probably will never be happy. And this leads into a greater scope of what it means to be successful, does success need happiness/a sense of fulfilment from the individual succeeding?

I'm still not sure if I can answer that yet. But the main question still stands.

So, do you think we should have to accept who we are to be successful/better than we can be, or is constantly pushing ourselves the best way to reach success?

ReputationRep:
    Striving to excel and not being content with status quo is a major incentive to endeavor as in the case of one's perception that being successful ultimately leads to happiness. I think we should have to accept ourselves in order to be happy, but in order to achieve a higher status of success as society dictates it, we have constantly push ourselves and find motivation in believing that success is a prerequisite for happiness.

ReputationRep:
    There is something to be said with 'being happy with your lot' but it does strike me as a bit of a cop out in justifying why someone has not succeeded in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I hear a lot now, especially on campus, that to be truly successful we have to accept who we are and love ourselves.

We are born into societies which expect people to mature and develop as individuals, pressurising us to be 'the best we can be' in an environment where we are surrounded by perfectionism. The result is that we get a generation of people insecure about how they look, how well they perform, how they measure up in the rest of society, all on the basis of comparison.

When people learn to love and accept themselves, they can find happiness (I'm assuming from all the hype, I wouldn't know personally). And this gives them the confidence to be happy with who they are as well as continue on with being able to accept criticism.

However, many who do not find success in pushing themselves to greater boundaries. It seems contrary to the notion of success to be able to simply be happy with the current - the pusher will continue to strive for the best.

The dilemma for this type of person is that whilst they will probably be successful, they probably will never be happy. And this leads into a greater scope of what it means to be successful, does success need happiness/a sense of fulfilment from the individual succeeding?

I'm still not sure if I can answer that yet. But the main question still stands.

So, do you think we should have to accept who we are to be successful/better than we can be, or is constantly pushing ourselves the best way to reach success?
    It depends how you define success. Personally I don't agree with constantly pushing, I believe if you enjoy yourself and you're happy, you're successful. If you want something than by all means work for it, but there's no need to constantly seek perfection for the sake of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    It depends how you define success. Personally I don't agree with constantly pushing, I believe if you enjoy yourself and you're happy, you're successful. If you want something than by all means work for it, but there's no need to constantly seek perfection for the sake of it
    But pushing yourself suggests a notion of aiming for perfection. You're not going to be satisfied with simply staying in one spot if you want to push yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    But pushing yourself suggests a notion of aiming for perfection. You're not going to be satisfied with simply staying in one spot if you want to push yourself.
    I don't believe that aiming for perfection is success though. I believe success comes from being happy and will vary from person to person

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.