Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been vegetarian since i was 8 year old (10 years ago) and managed fine with Quorn. However, I've decided i'm going to become vegan starting this summer! I've not lived in Edinburgh long and stay quite central. I've seen vegan/vegetarian diners but i can't afford to keep eating out and am interested in learning to make some quick easy vegan meals I don't know where to find alternatives to cheese though!
    I've seen soya milk, would like to find some hemp, coconut and almond milk though too. maybe rice milk.
    so relieved that the bread i normally buy turned out to be made with soya!! so i don't need to worry about finding bread.
    Anyone know some vegan cheeses and yogurts and where i can find them? oh, and the main thing.. CHOCOLATE!

ReputationRep:
    Make your own cashew cheese there are a lot of recipes on the Internet x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katiiex)
    Make your own cashew cheese there are a lot of recipes on the Internet x
    i don't have much time to be making cheese as well as meals and doing uni work and getting a job do you happen to know any ready-made vegan cheeses?

ReputationRep:
    If you're determined to stay central, I reckon you could probably find good substitutes for yoghurt/cheese in Holland and Barrett (I think a bigger branch just opened on Princes Street), along with Peckham's on South Clerk Street. I've seen vegan cheese in there.

Do you ever shop in Cameron Toll? The big Sainsbury's in there has got loads of vegan alternatives to dairy and meat and such, as does the big ASDA at the Jewel, but you'd have to take the bus for that. I even think the Tesco Metro on Nicolson Street stocks a good deal of Alpro yoghurt/milk.

Also, remember that beans and pulses are amazing sources of protein, and always cheaper than manufactured alternatives. Nuts, as well, if you like them!

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Only been there once (to get pão de queijo), but Real Foods at the top of Broughton Street might have something good along these lines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatPurchase)
    I've been vegetarian since i was 8 year old (10 years ago) and managed fine with Quorn. However, I've decided i'm going to become vegan starting this summer! I've not lived in Edinburgh long and stay quite central. I've seen vegan/vegetarian diners but i can't afford to keep eating out and am interested in learning to make some quick easy vegan meals I don't know where to find alternatives to cheese though!
    I've seen soya milk, would like to find some hemp, coconut and almond milk though too. maybe rice milk.
    so relieved that the bread i normally buy turned out to be made with soya!! so i don't need to worry about finding bread.
    Anyone know some vegan cheeses and yogurts and where i can find them? oh, and the main thing.. CHOCOLATE!
    Not Edinburgh specific but...

Holland and Barrett do vegan cheese, vegan cream cheese, egg replacement, vegan mayo (the garlic one is sooooo good), fake meats - literally everything! In supermarkets you can look in the free from section and can get vegan chocolate. Or look at dark chocolate - sometimes they are vegan. You can get soy yogurts, custard, cream in supermarkets too. Alpro is one of the big brands. Look for some vegan recipe books - they will be a life safer. Basically also learn how to cook tofu, that will be so important to you. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    In my back garden, 2 really cool squirrels are eating and burying the roasted monkey nuts I just handed to them. There are a collection and variety of little birds and wood pigeons pecking away at the broken oatcakes i just sprinkled on my lawn - they all seem to be happy and content on a whole foods, plant based diet.

...and so am I.

I have been a complete vegetarian for a few weeks now, but only just recently decided to improve my health and remove all animal products from my diet.

Today I questioned my motives, then randomly came across a movie called " Earthlings " .. you can find it on you Tube. It is a shocking documentary, it was very upsetting and I found it hard to watch all the way through, but I forced myself to. I can now confirm that I am a vegan and will never abuse animals for my own selfish gain. ( not that I ever have, but I have been part of the problem...the demand for animal products )

I searched my whole house for offending items and threw in the bin - a leather wallet, a pair of nubuck clark shoes, puma trainers, a leather business wallet, 2 lambswool jumpers and another pair of trainers.

I'm disgusted at how we gain these foods and materials from animals and further more disgusted that we think we can use animals in this way.

Removing all animal products from my diet wasn't hard, it was a pleasure and I am already seeing the health benefits.

The truth about how we treat other earthlings is hard to digest, but then digesting animal products is even harder.

" Earthlings " will disgust you, upset you, anger you, the truth is very very horrible and most people are too scared to acknowledge what goes on behind the packaging of their food.

Another great movie here " Forks over Knives "

ReputationRep:
    Real Foods are pretty good for vegan stuff, there's one at the Tollcross end of the meadows and then another somewhere else Think I saw vegan cheese when I nipped in there today. I just found veganoo which is pretty good for reviews and such. Plus there's Hearty Squirrel food co-op (it's a society at Edinburgh Uni, but open to anyone) and they sell lots of stuff quite cheap and you can order things through them.

As for chocolate, what I've tasted of these are pretty nice! And these are just...yum. And there's these, which I think are possibly only American, but they're good anyway!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.