Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to their assessment center before?
    And has anyone applied this year or is currently applying?

ReputationRep:
    I applied but failed their stupid numerical test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadwing)
    I applied but failed their stupid numerical test.
    Sorry to hear that. Numerical tests are not my strength, though I blitz through verbal tests (I blame my dyspraxia). I failed the numerical test last year so was instantly rejected. However, I re-applied this year and have been invited to the assessment centre.

Admittedly my score in the numerical test was still below par, but they liked other areas of my application so put me on the "near fail" shortlist.

All I can suggest is practice numerical tests and, if you chose to re-apply, better luck next time.Try and get some more voluntary experience as showing commitment to the charity sector is important and a well rounded application can help to make up for a near fail in the numerical test There is hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Sorry to hear that. Numerical tests are not my strength, though I blitz through verbal tests (I blame my dyspraxia). I failed the numerical test last year so was instantly rejected. However, I re-applied this year and have been invited to the assessment centre.

Admittedly my score in the numerical test was still below par, but they liked other areas of my application so put me on the "near fail" shortlist.

All I can suggest is practice numerical tests and, if you chose to re-apply, better luck next time.Try and get some more voluntary experience as showing commitment to the charity sector is important and a well rounded application can help to make up for a near fail in the numerical test There is hope.
    I spent an hour a day for several weeks practising for the test (I'm still in my final year at uni so I don't have loads of time). I do have quite a lot of voluntary experience already, but that isn't much help if your application doesn't even get read because you failed the test..

ReputationRep:
    I spent an hour a day for several weeks practising for the test (I'm still in my final year at uni so I don't have loads of time). I do have quite a lot of voluntary experience already, but that isn't much help if your application doesn't even get read because you failed the test..
    I know and it's frustrating (and arguably unfair to a great section of people) but this isn't specific to Charity Works and happens across several graduate schemes. It just provides an easy filter for them.

However, the application does still get read. Certainly for those who just narrowly failed the test.

Do you know if you passed the verbal test (if you did it, then got an invitation to the numerical test, I believe this means you passed the verbal)?

All I'm saying is that if you do want to get onto the scheme don't give up hope. It may be worth giving it a try next year as well with even more experience which will give you a greater variety of things to discuss on the application form. People often are rejected but successful in subsequent years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I know and it's frustrating (and arguably unfair to a great section of people) but this isn't specific to Charity Works and happens across several graduate schemes. It just provides an easy filter for them.

However, the application does still get read. Certainly for those who just narrowly failed the test.

Do you know if you passed the verbal test (if you did it, then got an invitation to the numerical test, I believe this means you passed the verbal)?

All I'm saying is that if you do want to get onto the scheme don't give up hope. It may be worth giving it a try next year as well with even more experience which will give you a greater variety of things to discuss on the application form. People often are rejected but successful in subsequent years.
    Great, so either I did exceptionally **** at the test or they think my application is exceptionally ****. It was a pretty fast response after I finished the test though, so I'm still not sure if they did read it.

I had the numerical test first and failed it, so I didn't even make it to the verbal one!

ReputationRep:
    Great, so either I did exceptionally **** at the test or they think my application is exceptionally ****. It was a pretty fast response after I finished the test though, so I'm still not sure if they did read it.

I had the numerical test first and failed it, so I didn't even make it to the verbal one!
    Which is exactly what happened to me last year. I had terrible technical issues with the test, it was stressful, I submitted and then got a quick rejection. It is frustrating when you don't even get the opportunity to take the second test but it's still all experience and gave you the opportunity to practice these tests.

And even if they did read your application it doesn't mean it is "exceptionally ****"). It could have been a reasonable, or even good, application.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Has anyone from last year got any advice about theassessment centre? I've got mine Friday and I'm just interested in whatsinvolved and if anyone can give any pointers? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have mine on either Tuesday or Wednesday, I only just found out! Have you done yours now then? If so I hope it went really well!! Have you got any advice on what's involved? What to expect? I haven't heard anything about it at all so any info would be so appreciated!! Thanks x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.