Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer from both Lancaster and York for Social work but have no idea which to firm.

They've both got their perks and the teaching is good across both.

The main draws for York (for me) are the city itself being more lively, being a part of the russell group and opportunity to get involved in research. It was also my first choice initially as I just liked the atmosphere it gave off more.

Lancaster ranks higher on the league tables (number 1 for the course) but I think the employment is skewed by the number of people who go on to work locally there. I plan to move back to London for work afterwards.
    The head of the department is basically at the head of the profession, currently running a regulatory body.
    I know that I'll probably study harder at Lancs but there's no way to know till you start right?

Does anyone have any ideas or comments on how you chose your unis?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've just looked them up and both have very good graduate prospects so getting a job after graduating from either shouldn't be too hard, so that shouldn't be a huge deciding factor. Both are top 10 universities. However, in the end I would probably go for where you think you would enjoy more, I have a friend at York (studying politics) and she loves the place and everything about it. I know no one at Lancaster though.

In the end it will have to be your decision and no one here can decide for you, by the sounds of it you like York for the social life more but Lancaster for the prestigiousness. Lancaster will also have a very good social life I'm sure so that shouldn't put you off.

If it were my decision I would choose Lancaster, but as I said, only you can decide

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you like York more so go York. League tables change every year and you're the one who is really going to get you employed, not your university.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot judge at all for the course, but I have offers from both of these unis for PPE and have visited both. For me, although Lancaster is marginally higher on league tables, the campus didn't do masses for me. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing that stood out for me. York's on the other hand, was beautiful, and the whole University just felt like a brighter place to spend three years of your life. There's more going on in the city of York than in Lancaster too.
    At the end of the day it's up to you, and the course is a huge factor. But if I was faced with the same choice, i'd go with york.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.