The Student Room Group

Google dumps news sites that criticize radical Islam.

Search engine giant Google has cut off its news relationship with a number of online news publications that include frank discussions of radical Islam – the New Media Journal becoming the latest termination, as its owner just discovered.

Frank Salvato, who began the agreement with Google News last September, said he received a reply from the company's help desk Friday indicating ....

Continued..... http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50323

What is your view on this?

Scroll to see replies

It goes some way to make up for them selling out to the Evil Empire, I suppose.
Vortigen
What is your view on this?

Quality control is important?
Reply 3
google is a highly respectable company, after the issue of click fraud to their adwords advertising system, i think they are trying to do their best to keep up their credibility and image. Its not fair to criticize any peoples and google is doing a great job to make sure what happened because of denmark doesn't happen again. I love their adsense program :smile:
Reply 4
I suspect money comes into the equation somewhere
Reply 5
Nummer1
google is a highly respectable company, after the issue of click fraud to their adwords advertising system, i think they are trying to do their best to keep up their credibility and image. Its not fair to criticize any peoples and google is doing a great job to make sure what happened because of denmark doesn't happen again. I love their adsense program :smile:

Google is not a highly respectable company. It lost all respectability when it agreed to help censor the internet in China.

There is nothing wrong with criticising people especially when they are doing something worthy of criticism.

If i remember right it was a few stupid Muslim clerics who stirred up the whole Denmark situation by touring Muslim nations distributing the cartoons. The internet was not to blame for the violence that followed it was those Muslims who acted in violent ways. Stopping criticism of groups by censorship is the way to start a war. The best way to stop criticism is for people to behave in a manner for which they cannot be criticised.
Reply 6
I see this as yet another move by Google to stop free speech.
Reply 7
God forbid you be critical of over-zealous fundamentalists! God forbid you be critical of supporters of mass-murder! God forbid you be critical of anti-semites! That would be racist, you dirttty Nazi's! God Forbid people are allowed to look at two points of view and make up their own damn minds, that would be uncompatible with the democratic process!

Pah, I despair :p:
We have to apply our laws of liberalism to work against Muslim fundamentalism that believes to be above the law in order to bring it to it's knees. Not by hatred neither, but by fairness. But defying your own believes controlled by your own fear is an even worse thing to do. Simply pathetic.
Reply 9
Vortigen
Google is not a highly respectable company. It lost all respectability when it agreed to help censor the internet in China.

There is nothing wrong with criticising people especially when they are doing something worthy of criticism.

If i remember right it was a few stupid Muslim clerics who stirred up the whole Denmark situation by touring Muslim nations distributing the cartoons. The internet was not to blame for the violence that followed it was those Muslims who acted in violent ways. Stopping criticism of groups by censorship is the way to start a war. The best way to stop criticism is for people to behave in a manner for which they cannot be criticised.

You usually look at a problem from its roots and the roots of the denmark were the drawings and the president of Denmark not apologising.

You cant just have content violating other peoples rights, im sure if I started a site and criticized the UK and its people and if google didnt ban my site you would be mailing them on a daily basis asking them to do so......this is just an example but im sure you wouldnt like such content to be distributed on the web about your country and ppl...or would you???
Reply 10
Note that this is Google News, not the Google search engine. They used to be much more, er.. diverse, with their syndication in the past, but after complaints, controversial websites like National Vanguard and Hizb ut Tarir have been taken off. Websites, aside from the internet branches of large, reputable media companies, usually aren't a good source of news anyway.
Reply 11
Nummer1
You usually look at a problem from its roots and the roots of the denmark were the drawings and the president of Denmark not apologising.

Why should someone apologise for a cartoon being printed in a newspaper which has a "free press"?
The violence came from the Muslims not the cartoonist or the president of Denmark.
Nummer1

You cant just have content violating other peoples rights, im sure if I started a site and criticized the UK and its people and if google didnt ban my site you would be mailing them on a daily basis asking them to do so......this is just an example but im sure you wouldnt like such content to be distributed on the web about your country and ppl...or would you???

Yes you can. If the criticism was honest i wouldn't care. And even if it wasn't i wouldn't be mailing them at all never mind on a daily basis.
I would be surprised if such a site didn't exist, after all there is plenty to criticise at the moment.
Reply 12
They seem rather extreme: the fact they have both 'Allah takes over Catholic Church' and 'Mohammed takes over Protestant Church' under Religion, describing those open to immigrants or forging links between religions as 'quislings'....

http://www.newmediajournal.us/staff/peck/05102006.htm
Reply 13
Vortigen

Google had no choice but to accept the policies of the Chinese authorities if it wanted to break into the Chinese market. The choice was thus between a restricted freedom of information or non at all. In the same way that we might criticise Nike or Gap for employing cheap labour in the East, we are right to criticise censorship.

However, the likes of Gap and Nike raised standards, because they were among the most generous employees for families who would have otherwised starved. Google will still act as a tool of liberation in China, encouraging Chinese internet users and the flow of unrestricted information into Chinese households.
Google can advertise whatever the hell it wants. If they don't want to advertise the New Media Journal, then good for them.
Reply 15
President_Ben
Quality control is important?

Have you read much on the internet lately?
Reply 16
Lawz-
Have you read much on the internet lately?

Bingo. 99% of the internet is ****. Stick to books and journals.
Reply 17
deedee8
I suspect money comes into the equation somewhere

hm-mm.
A quesion does arise when a company like Google develops a near monopoly on a market and then imposes it's political bias on it's customers. I'm not sure there's a problem yet, but I think that conservatives need to keep an eye out. Libertarians, while allowing that a private enterprise can do what it likes, should also give some consideration to the power and control that a dominant media company can have on the free and open exchange of information.

http://newsbusters.org/node/5477
Vortigen

For God's sakes, it was either that or no Google in China at all. Because they have agreed to help censor their Chinese version, this means it is not nearly as tight as it would be if it was fully Chinese. You can quite easily search banned sites by typing in abbreviations etc., and by showing which sites are banned and which are not the version allows people to see exactly what information is being kept from them.. and hence allows the more curious among them to do further research. Google have done absolutely nothing wrong, and boycotting the Chinese market would have made **** all difference. A few American companies aren't going to change the Communist party's stance on censorship.

Latest

Trending

Trending