Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

I have some interviews coming up, planning to take a notepad with me aswell.

my question is...at the end of the interview what questions would be the most appropriate/ best questions to ask the interviewer ? I want him/her to think im very interested in the job etc...

thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What's the talent like in the office?
    How much money will I earn?
    How many holidays do I get?
    What's the name of the Trade Union rep?
    Who do I phone when I need to take a sicky after a raz?
    Are CRB check's compulsory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    What's the talent like in the office?
    How much money will I earn?
    How many holidays do I get?
    What's the name of the Trade Union rep?
    Who do I phone when I need to take a sicky after a raz?
    Are CRB check's compulsory?
    It's not generally a good idea to ask these sorts of questions, since they suggest that you're not so interested in performing the job well, or that you've got something to hide.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the interview, it's always worth asking 'When will I find out if I have been successful?' as this rounds off the interview process quite nicely. If you don't have any questions, don't feel you have to make any up, but if there is something you're not sure about from the job description or that you've seen in the workplace, ask away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    It's not generally a good idea to ask these sorts of questions, since they suggest that you're not so interested in performing the job well, or that you've got something to hide.
    that was probably intended as a troll post. Just saying. Due to all of my years on the internet I can sense these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thaistick)
    hey guys
    I have some interviews coming up, planning to take a notepad with me as well.
    my question is...at the end of the interview what questions would be the most appropriate/ best questions to ask the interviewer ? I want him/her to think im very interested in the job etc...
    thanks
    Job interviews (and med school interviews) are very one-sided - they are making up their minds whether or not to make an offer, not the other way around.

My opinion is that they only ask 'have you got any questions for us' out of politeness, so my med school reply (which I rehearsed) was 'I don't have any questions, thank you. Your website and prospectus were very informative, and the opportunity to talk to current students during the guided tour has given me an excellent insight into what it will be like to study here'.

Obviously, you'd have to adapt that to a job interview situation, but I'd complimented them on the information they provided, I'd shown them I'd done my research, I'd thanked them for their hospitality, and I'd implied that I expected to be made an offer. I think that was well worth passing up the opportunity to ask a question whose answer I should have found out before the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    that was probably intended as a troll post. Just saying. Due to all of my years on the internet I can sense these things.
    I guessed that, but since the OP wasn't sure what to ask, they might not have known that these are not good choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Job interviews (and med school interviews) are very one-sided - they are making up their minds whether or not to make an offer, not the other way around.

My opinion is that they only ask 'have you got any questions for us' out of politeness, so my med school reply (which I rehearsed) was 'I don't have any questions, thank you. Your website and prospectus were very informative, and the opportunity to talk to current students during the guided tour has given me an excellent insight into what it will be like to study here'.

Obviously, you'd have to adapt that to a job interview situation, but I'd complimented them on the information they provided, I'd shown them I'd done my research, I'd thanked them for their hospitality, and I'd implied that I expected to be made an offer. I think that was well worth passing up the opportunity to ask a question whose answer I should have found out before the interview.
    I don't know anything about med school applications, but for job/internship interviews I'd strongly disagree with that.

In a job interview situation, they do expect you to ask questions and do allocate time for that. It's another opportunity for you to distinguish yourself from the other candidates and just saying "no questions, thanks bye" makes you sound disinterested, complacent and poorly prepared in my opinion. Asking questions is a way to make you seem interested and curious, and if you build on the research you've done already, then it's another chance to show off your knowledge.

During my interview for a bank last Tuesday, I said: Given that 2/3 of your employees stay for ten years or longer, I presume the atmosphere is rather positive. Could you please give me further details on whom I would be working with and how the team operates?

Asking something like "What would be the biggest challenge for me in your company?" gives them the chance to outline any potential difficulties, and you can them reassure them that you possess the skills required.

I usually ask who my direct supervisor would be and what their management style is like, how decisions are made. Asking about what your typical day would look like is a good, easy ice breaker question if you can't think of anything else. It's also a good idea to ask what the next steps are and when you can expect to hear back.

ReputationRep:
    Asking questions is a really good opportunity to demonstrate that you've done your research and that you are interested in the company. OP you should spend some time researching them and the industry to think of interesting questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    During my interview for a bank last Tuesday, I said: Given that 2/3 of your employees stay for ten years or longer, I presume the atmosphere is rather positive. Could you please give me further details on whom I would be working with and how the team operates?

Asking something like "What would be the biggest challenge for me in your company?" gives them the chance to outline any potential difficulties, and you can them reassure them that you possess the skills required.

I usually ask who my direct supervisor would be and what their management style is like, how decisions are made. Asking about what your typical day would look like is a good, easy ice breaker question if you can't think of anything else. It's also a good idea to ask what the next steps are and when you can expect to hear back.
    Any of these questions would be good. Read through their website and see what questions spring to mind. Ask about promotion prospects, culture of the organisation, training courses - anything that shows you have done your research, and are interested in staying with them and developing.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Good grief! Some people have no sense of humour.

My post had satire plastered all over it; everything one one really wants to ask but should refrain because it may give the wrong impression - and not too subtle either. Please let me explain:

'What's the talent like in the office?' (Sexist remark but I saw some crackers on the way in.)

'How much money will I earn?' (I haven't got the job yet, but I'd like to count my chickens before they're hatched so I can dream about that 'round-the-world booze cruise.) Renumeration should be discussed only when an offer of employment is made.

'How many holidays do I get?' (Ditto above.)

'Who do I phone when I need to take a sicky after a raz? (We all know what 'duvet-day' is a euphemism for.) Taking a sicky after a raz is not an option and shows a lack of commitment and disrespect to colleagues.

'What's the name of the Trade Union rep?' (If I get into s*** about taking random sickie's, I'd like to know there is a good strong legal team on my side.) Not illegal, but may also indicate you are a militant malcontent.

'Are CRB check's compulsory?' (My ex-girlfriend took out an injunction against me coz I got a little narked after a raz one night.) This question will ring alarm bells. Have you got something bad to hide?

I'm a bad, bad, bad, person for livening up the boards which can be a tad stale sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thaistick)
    hey guys

I have some interviews coming up, planning to take a notepad with me aswell.

thanks
    Asking when you will find out if you have been successful or not is a good one.
    You could also ask things like the working hours, or about the money. Make sure the money question isnt the first question you ask though, as it may seem like all you are interested in is money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.