Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many hours of practice did you take before you took your test/passed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im not the most confident driver, years ago i took about 15 hours of driving where the instructor didnt help me at all but i didnt know how lessons were supposed to go until a friend told me that hes just cheating me.

So some months ago ive started with a better instructor and have been taking lessons, im on my 27th lesson and dont feel ready at all. I make a lot of mistakes and not make decisions quickly enough. Its kind of stressing me out!

How many hours of practice have you taken before you passed or were ready enough for a test?

Edit: I know different people take different times so i hope this thread doesn't put some people down, im just curious to know thats all.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I passed after about 8 actual lessons, but previously had driven around a lot with my father.

ReputationRep:
    I took about 26 lessons (32 hours) and passed first time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 48 hours so far, my test is in less than two weeks time, but the problem is that the enfield test centre has such a back log of test, the waiting list was a month and a half, so it kinda forced me to have lessons really. IF I had an earlier date, I would easily have done sat my test at under 30 hours. He hasn't been pushing me hard. But we have been doing loads of road driving which is extremely useful. The amount of scenarios I've been in is astonishing!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on about 22 hours so far and my instructor said I'll be ready in 3/4 lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    I'm on 48 hours so far, my test is in less than two weeks time, but the problem is that the enfield test centre has such a back log of test, the waiting list was a month and a half, so it kinda forced me to have lessons really. IF I had an earlier date, I would easily have done sat my test at under 30 hours. He hasn't been pushing me hard. But we have been doing loads of road driving which is extremely useful. The amount of scenarios I've been in is astonishing!
    I've booked mine in Wood Green :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    I've booked mine in Wood Green :P
    I was gonna suggest to my examiner that I do my test in the Wood Green one but he told me not to. He said something like they have difficult test routes. Maybe it's because he's used to the Enfield routes? Who knows.

If I had to do my test in Wood Green though, I would be fine, because I used to live there for 11 years (was born there) and I know the streets like the back of my hand to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    I was gonna suggest to my examiner that I do my test in the Wood Green one but he told me not to. He said something like they have difficult test routes. Maybe it's because he's used to the Enfield routes? Who knows.

If I had to do my test in Wood Green though, I would be fine, because I used to live there for 11 years (was born there) and I know the streets like the back of my hand to be honest.
    Yeah, same a lot of my life happened there school, work etc so thats the only reason i chose wood green because id have a better understanding of the routes.

ReputationRep:
    38 hours, no practice outside of the lessons since insurance was not worth it at the time.

Passed first time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 15 hours and I'm having a mock test next week and hopefully booking my test if that goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    Im not the most confident driver, years ago i took about 15 hours of driving where the instructor didnt help me at all but i didnt know how lessons were supposed to go until a friend told me that hes just cheating me.

So some months ago ive started with a better instructor and have been taking lessons, im on my 27th lesson and dont feel ready at all. I make a lot of mistakes and not make decisions quickly enough. Its kind of stressing me out!

How many hours of practice have you taken before you passed or were ready enough for a test?

Edit: I know different people take different times so i hope this thread doesn't put some people down, im just curious to know thats all.

Take the test when you feel you will pass.
    Instructors (im not saying all) have a tendency to milk the cow shall we say. They will prolong their time with you to make as much money as they can. And dont ever switch instructors (unless you really have to), going with a new one will usually lead to even more hours being spent.

I'd say it takes most people around £1K to pass give or take a few hundred either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice_guru)
    Take the test when you feel you will pass.
    Instructors (im not saying all) have a tendency to milk the cow shall we say. They will prolong their time with you to make as much money as they can. And dont ever switch instructors (unless you really have to), going with a new one will usually lead to even more hours being spent.

I'd say it takes most people around £1K to pass give or take a few hundred either way
    I feel my instructor is doing this, but like you said i dont want to change instructors or say anything because he is indeed a good instructor. My one hour lesson actually turns out to be around 40 minutes of actual driving.

ReputationRep:
    35 hours. Passed first time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    probably had close to 40 hours with my instructor (I've lost count) and god knows how much with my dad, probably about 20-25 hours. Passed second time!

ReputationRep:
    Three hours with an instructor but lots of private practice with my dad.

Passed first time (:

ReputationRep:
    An hour.

I also took the test whilst blindfolded and wearing a pair of y fronts made of stinging nettles. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've had about 30 hours (kind of lost count), but I have failed my test 3 times as I get really nervous during a test. But when I drive with my instructor my driving is faultless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    15 Hours manual experience with instructor, 4 hours automatic experience driving my mum around in our mpv, and many hours of Need for speed .

My instructor was really good after the 8th lesson he told me to book the test, and when I first started I wanted to take 2 hour lessons (because some of my friends said that was the best thing to do) he told me there is no need it would be a waste of money, also he charged £18 an hour for students ! Anyone living in north west london who wants his contact details PM me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.