The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Morgsie
There is a problem with all of these changes today, people with visual impairments using this site. In other words compliance with disability/equality legislation.

I do sympathise with people who are struggling to read the new font, but I'd be surprised if there's a legislative reason against the use of 10pt Arial on websites.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
the up-and-down thumbs in the rep box - look really childish to me

Original post by kidomo
God! This is ****ing childish! We're not children for gods sake!

Original post by ANONYM00SE
it has also become a little childish as others have mentioned.

Original post by DaveSmith99
It's really bad, looks really child-like.

Original post by CJKay
I wasn't aware TSR catered to primary school children.

All of the above :smile:

I'm guessing that either some gawdawful branding agency persuaded TSR with buzzwords like "brand refresh" to spend loads on making it looks childish, or they let someone's 8 year old have a go a graphics for fun. Either way, I preferred it before.
People always try and resist change whatever it looks like to start with, and some of the aspects are decent - however:

The font before was more suited then this new one & to me it's looks like the neg button is highlighted for everyone. I'm not against change, but only if it improves what is clearly a very good site .
33 out of 36 posts asking questions on the front page of the Maths forum are tagged as "Sixth Form", "Undergraduate" or "Postgraduate". The site design, however, would be more suited to "Primary School". Quite the mismatch.

The "latest discussions" widget also includes such titles as "big breasts problems" and "most comfortable lingerie".
Reply 104
Original post by Potally_Tissed
I do sympathise with people who are struggling to read the new font, but I'd be surprised if there's a legislative reason against the use of 10pt Arial on websites.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Mods should know all equality legislation
One word - teletubies!
Original post by Morgsie
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Mods should know all equality legislation

:rofl:
Personally I think you should make it so that those who don't want this style can revert back to the old design. That way everybody is happy.

I don't like it, seems way too bright and childish. It gets annoying looking at the site for longer than 5 minutes.
It's quite hard to look at for any length of time - it seems faded and confusing to the eye - the colours look washed out even on Mac and in an effort to have a fun, friendly feeling the designer has overlooked the need for the solid little blocks of sharp colour and contrast needed for effective functionality.

I don't like the way the text is indented automatically now - it is odd having to move the eye across to look at each piece of text.

This seems to happen to a lot of sites. Only so many things work well on the web and site owners have to accept the fact that, within limits, sites are going to look a little more boring than they would like. This is not a game or an art show.
I think I'll stick to using TSR on my mobile
Original post by MetropolisBoy
One word - teletubies!

Teletubbies have had a huge cultural impact in all sorts of ways, it isn't surprising that TSR have finally succumbed.

Mods will soon be known as Tinky Winky, Sloppydoos, etc.
Reply 111
It seems ok. Not too keen on the rep bars and as others have said the neg button is far too prominent compared to pos.
It would be useful to have an App for Chrome that re-renders the site into the old colour scheme, if someone can supply please.
Original post by Morgsie

That one act alone is 180 pages. It's pretty unreasonable to expect the entire mod team to have a comprehensive knowledge of discrimination and equality law, to say the least, even more so as it's not the mod team who design and implement these changes.

TSR now uses the same font as the BBC website. As I said in my previous post, I really can't see that there's a legal case against using Arial :nah:
(edited 10 years ago)
I HAVE A THEORY!!!

They made the site look this way so most of us get discouraged to come on and then we end up paying more attention studying for our upcoming exams than on TSR. Timing is right. :clap2:

This is actually working for me. I will be studying more.

TSR now uses the same font as the BBC website. As I said in my previous post, I really can't see that there's a legal case against using Arial :nah:

The BBC text is embedded in a page containing adult themes, such as block headlines and black text.
Reply 116
That one act alone is 180 pages. It's pretty unreasonable to expect the entire mod team to have a comprehensive knowledge of discrimination and equality law, to say the least, even more so as it's not the mod team who design and implement these changes.

It is not just the font but the brightness, it is far too bright which is what I am trying to get accross.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The BBC text is embedded in a page containing adult themes, such as block headlines and black text.

I was referring specifically to the font they use for subtitle/body text, not the look and feel of the site in general :smile:
I quite like the new design.
Relax, the new site design was tested with a focus group.

Children-play-with-sand-a-001.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending