Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned on another thread that this whole scenario is just surreal.

It's like a Web 2.0 Lindbergh Kidnapping (an early 1930s crime that was considered the sensation of the century.... at the time, at least)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindbergh_kidnapping

What is most interesting is the way the public is interacting in this whole scenario, it's an absolutely fascinating development in the way society and people relate to one another, the way hundreds of thousands were listening to the Boston Police scanner online, that they've managed to find and publish new photos of the bombers escaping the bombing just afterwards, and so on.

This moment is, for better or for worse, the shape of things to come. What’s new and incredible is the scale and speed of this machine. It seems like there will never be another event like the Boston bombing that isn’t endlessly teased apart and put back together again in this way. Thanks to the ubiquity of inexpensive, powerful digital-imaging devices creating unimaginable amounts of data, and the emergence of highly populated, highly distributed Internet communities like Reddit and 4chan, it will happen this way every single time.
    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...y-machine.html

Wow. This is as much an amazing development in the history of the internet, far outweighing the actual terrorist incident and manhunt in terms of the profundity of its implications.

Edit: For example, this incredible image of Suspect 2 fleeing the scene, just on the left. It was discovered by reddit users

http://i.imgur.com/NFPlOCI.jpg

Also known to the Chinese as the Human Flesh Search Engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_flesh_search_engine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)
    I mentioned on another thread that this whole scenario is just surreal.

It's like a Web 2.0 Lindbergh Kidnapping (an early 1930s crime that was considered the sensation of the century.... at the time, at least)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindbergh_kidnapping

What is most interesting is the way the public is interacting in this whole scenario, it's an absolutely fascinating development in the way society and people relate to one another, the way hundreds of thousands were listening to the Boston Police scanner online, that they've managed to find and publish new photos of the bombers escaping the bombing just afterwards, and so on.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...y-machine.html

Wow. This is as much an amazing development in the history of the internet, far outweighing the actual terrorist incident and manhunt in terms of the profundity of its implications.

Edit: For example, this incredible image of Suspect 2 fleeing the scene, just on the left. It was discovered by reddit users

http://i.imgur.com/NFPlOCI.jpg

Are you not aware of the ongoing situation? I've made an entire thread on this - the first Boston Marathon bombings suspect is dead. The second is at large. They are both brothers.

EDIT: Erroneous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Are you not aware of the ongoing situation? I've made an entire thread on this - the first Boston Marathon bombings suspect is dead. The second is at large. They are both brothers.
    I'm aware of that, if you'd bothered to read my comments on the main thread.

You seem confused. You should re-read my post.

Oh, and I'm sorry for taking away attention from you. That seems to bother you, and for that, I apologise unreservedly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of that, if you'd bothered to read my comments on the main thread.

You seem confused. You should re-read my post.

Oh, and I'm sorry for taking away attention from you. That seems to bother you, and for that, I apologise unreservedly.
    My apologies. Your OP is indeed interesting +1. I must have not read it - I haven't slept much sorry.

Yes, indeed, certainly the internet has played a big role in this - you can watch live news, you can listen in live on emergency services/police scanners and you can follow tweets and whatnot to find out events as and when they happen (especially www.breakingnews.com). Certainly, it's developed the way in which citizens interact with ongoing situations and emergencies. Citizens are even doing their own pictorial investigations on line and that may have led to the successful identification of the BM suspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    My apologies. Your OP is indeed interesting +1. I must have not read it - I haven't slept much sorry.

Yes, indeed, certainly the internet has played a big role in this - you can watch live news, you can listen in live on emergency services/police scanners and you can follow tweets and whatnot to find out events as and when they happen (especially www.breakingnews.com). Certainly, it's developed the way in which citizens interact with ongoing situations and emergencies. Citizens are even doing their own pictorial investigations on line and that may have led to the successful identification of the BM suspects.
    Thanks for the gracious comment and apology; I take my hat off as that is indeed rare on the interwebz (admittedly even from me).

It is, I think, as the article said a sign of things to come; few or no future terrorist attacks (or major crimes) where the perpetrator is physically present would go unsolved.

I think what people often forget is that what humanity is doing right now is all new. None of this, in terms of these innovations in communications and social organisation, has ever been done before in the history of the human race. Maybe 1000 years from now, internet archaeologists will even dig down and find this conversation as evidence of attitudes at around the dawn of the information technology revolution.

Personally, I believe the development of a world internet and something resembling a planetary consciousness, the ability to transfer data and images and audio almost instantaneously, the fact that the way we interact in our daily lives is completely different than it was even ten years ago (when Facebook and YouTube did not exist).... I suspect this will rate up there with the Rise of Agriculture in terms of being epochal in human societal evolution

ReputationRep:
    What is this thread for exactly? It's nothing like the Lindbergh kidnapping in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    What is this thread for exactly? It's nothing like the Lindbergh kidnapping in any way.
    Read, my dear. Read the first post.

Sometimes analogies are made based on systemic issues, or technological or social ones, not "Oh this one's a kidnapping, that one's a bombing". This is known as the "material", rather than "particular", facts.

By the way, did you read the first post?

ReputationRep:
    Read, my dear. Read the first post.

Sometimes analogies are made based on systemic issues, or technological or social ones, not "Oh this one's a kidnapping, that one's a bombing". This is known as the "material", rather than "particular", facts.

By the way, did you read the first post?
    The only similarity is that they both involved the cops and a lot of media coverage. Close thread please, Mods.

ReputationRep:
    The only similarity is that they both involved the cops and a lot of media coverage. Close thread please, Mods.
    Sorry, did I brush past that chip on your shoulder?

Another commenter saw value in it, and saw the parallels I did.

But hey, fullofsurprises doesn't like it and has thrown her toys out of the pram. Better shut up shop; the dictator has spoken.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.