Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

is bham expensive? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    since i visited bham last year i fell in love with it hence i did an application for an msc this year. Anyway... the last few days lots of people come and say don't go there is expensive etc. I heard that from 2-3 people these days... Is it really as expensive they say or they just say it cause they re stupid? Can someone enlighten us?

Mind u, i don't have an offer yet... i 'd love to go there... i m still waiting for an offer since the 27th of february... maybe i m on a waiting list or something.. don't know... I contacted them last week and the admission tutor said i saw like 25 applications last week so in a few days u'll get ur answer... She sounded a bit like "c'mon, why all these students call and ask, i'm fed up", kind of...and she wanted to hang up...so I felt shy and didn't ask more questions... she only asked for my name anyway so I didn't get a chance for a hint or smthing.

oh man...fingers crossed... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In my experience the further north you go the cheaper it gets and having lived in birmingham, London and now Manchester that is the only advice I can give without knowing where you are currently based. Whether birmingham is expensive or not depends on what your current city is and your current costs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah... thats what i thought as well.... besides, everywhere u go prices are almost the same as shops and caffes are chains...

:rolleyes:

thanks for the information!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see it as any more expensive than any other English city. Housing costs seem higher to me but I'm from semi rural Scotland so in a very cheap area housing wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danniitb)
    In my experience the further north you go the cheaper it gets and having lived in birmingham, London and now Manchester that is the only advice I can give without knowing where you are currently based. Whether birmingham is expensive or not depends on what your current city is and your current costs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've lived in Manchester and Birmingham and both were expensive. I now live in Lancaster (north of Manchester) and that's even more expensive. Everywhere is expensive, they don't put the price down because they think there's more poor people in certain areas (as is the stereotype of the north). There's loads of poor people in London and the south and that's supposed to be even more expensive (although haven't live there so couldn't say from experience). One advantage of living in Birmingham was that the intra-city train was quite cheap compared to other forms of travel, although I'm sure the price went up since.

I had the same problem and got a decision straight after emailing the head of the course. Maybe try that. If that doesn't work, might be better to focus on a different master as they might not be very serious.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the replies.

Eubacterium, the person i called is the course tutor...i also think she's the admission tutor for that specific MSc... i don't know how these things work at unis anyway...

Well, i really wanna be accepted to that uni so the only thing i can do is wait... i also applied to a 2nd course at the same uni just in case... i mean, they didn't reject me straight away..and having second thoughts means i have a slight possibility...hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eubacterium)
    I've lived in Manchester and Birmingham and both were expensive. I now live in Lancaster (north of Manchester) and that's even more expensive. Everywhere is expensive, they don't put the price down because they think there's more poor people in certain areas (as is the stereotype of the north). There's loads of poor people in London and the south and that's supposed to be even more expensive (although haven't live there so couldn't say from experience). One advantage of living in Birmingham was that the intra-city train was quite cheap compared to other forms of travel, although I'm sure the price went up since.
    I was talking more in terms of accommodation and transport. I can't speak for Lancaster but Manchester just had their bus fares reduced whereas birmingham as London are having theirs increased annually. Accommodation and housing costs also increase the further north you get. What you would possibly spend on a studio or bedsit in London, could get you a 1-2 bed flat in birmingham and maybe a 1-3 bed flat or house in Manchester (depending on area and proximity to city centre). As for your daily costs of food and leisure, that really depends on how frivolous you are with spending and how prudent you are with budgeting

But of course there are poor people everywhere and prices are not reduced because of how many are in certain areas, prices (especially for housing) are just cheaper the further away from the capital you get

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.