Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a UK citizen. I intend to practise law in the USA, specifically California. My girlfriend is a US Citizen, and we intend to get married and return to the US together. I need to find out if I am better off taking the LLB/GDL courses here in the UK, or rather wait until we return to the USA and do the postgraduate JD degree. Many thanks for your responses in advance.

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of stating the obvious, in order to practice in California, you'll need to pass the bar exam there and only certain people are eligible to sit it.

You can find the rules here: http://rules.calbar.ca.gov/Rules/Tit...Standards.aspx

Essentially, you need to have a law degree and either study for one year at a California Bar Association-accredited law school, or pass the First-Year Law Student exam. My advice is to email the Bar Association or figure it out from the site above! Good luck. You will probably also need a social security number, or have some way of getting an exemption from that criterion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do a similar thing (minus the getting married ). If like me you have an undergraduate degree other than law, I wouldn't bother doing a british law conversion course like the GDL if you intend to apply in the US.

American Law Schools only require a decent undergraduate degree in any subject, they use this (and probably other results such as A-levels too) to calculate your GPA (Grade Point Average). I'm still struggling to work out exactly how to calculate an accurate GPA from British grades though.

The other thing they require is for you to take the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test), which you would still have to take even if you spent £18000 and got a GDL.

If you are really committed to studying law in America would recommend that you take the time you would spend doing a GDL swotting up on the LSAT. American Unis rate a great LSAT score (anywhere between 166-180 out of 180 is awesome) over almost anything else.

You can take LSAT tests in London, there's a link to a mock LSAT test below so you can familiarise yourself. Good Luck!

http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/sampleptjune.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.