Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Not posted a thread before but need your advice.

Currently just about to finish my second year of a Primary ICT degree at uni, which at this point will leave me with a Diploma in Education.

I've been having doubts about my course for a while now, not because I don't want to achieve this degree but because it's not living up to my expectations.
    I don't enjoy it anymore, and am always stressed about library charges, deadlines, lack of communications, and how little contact time we actually get with our lecturers.

I'm beginning to struggle with passing my assignments, I HAVE to work part time to pay my rent, and the rest of my time I spend either studying or out with my friends.

But there's a problem, my course no longer exists. They've changed new entries to a 3 year course and so if I leave and decide to come back I will have to change course. On the other hand, I don't want to spend another 2 years of my life hating every second and adding to the debt because of it.

I've been looking at jobs or apprenticeships in nurseries, where in a year I could be earning £20,000 if I pass. Do I earn £2.70 an hour to get a NVQ Level 3 or do I stay in uni and hope not to fail?

Literally at my wits end with it, I really need help.

ReputationRep:
    What's your part time job doing? It might be worth doing something part time in a nursery if you don't do so already, to get a feel for what it's like.

I don't understand your point about your course not existing being a problem. If you leave, it doesn't sound like you would be back in a hurry to do the same course.

Don't just look at jobs as an excuse to leave. Be honest with yourself.

It might be worth talking with a lecturer and voicing your opinions about how little contact time you're getting. Say you want more feedback and communication. Yes, they should be doing it, but some intellectuals have little/no body language or emotional intelligence capabilities.

You're about to finish your second year. If you left now, 'after a year you could be earning £20,000'. Couldn't you be doing the same with the course you're currently on?

ReputationRep:
    I work in an ice rink, but I cannot rely on this as full time work as promotion aspects are few and far between.

I just mean if in a few years time I decide to finish my teaching degree, I have to enter a different course and I'm not sure it will look good on my CV.

My course has another 2 years remaining, but if I'm struggling now, what hope is there for me for the next 2 years?

Im not the only one unhappy with the contact time, but there is little we can do about it. Our course reps have fed back multiple times to say we are unhappy and they cannot offer anymore because there are so many students per year group.

thanks for your help so far.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at some part time or maybe some volunteer work at a nursery, even if it's for half a day when you're free. You might do it, see where others have got to and think this isn't for me. One the best things I've found from working short term in places is the difference that people makes. Some jobs I thought I would hate, but they seem to attract a nice, friendly type of person. Other, well paid jobs I've done I've ended up hating as no one helps one another and it's all putting others down.

Don't worry about your CV, most people are sympathetic to a change of direction. If you're really worried, you can always leave it out (particularly if it isn't relevant to the direction you are wanting to go in).

Try to focus on the end goal. Do you hate the course and the potential job at the end of it, or just the course?

Submit reply
Updated: April 19, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.