Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (ii) Explain with the aid of equations, why ammonia NH3 is considered a weak base while potassium hydroxide is a strong base under aqueous conditions. (3 marks)

not sure how to tackle this question for 3 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    (ii) Explain with the aid of equations, why ammonia NH3 is considered a weak base while potassium hydroxide is a strong base under aqueous conditions. (3 marks)

NH3 partially ionizes whilst the NaOH completely dissociates. So for the question I would write out the equations to show this.

I would write it out the equations but it is kind of hard doing it on my phone

ReputationRep:

weak bases are a bit like weak acids, there is only partial dissociation of the acid. In this example of NH3 it is dissolved in water. The acid is the H20

NH3+ H20 <---> NH4+ + OH-

Strong bases like KOH dissociate fully, like strong acids

KOH-----> K+ + OH-

Any questions?

EDIT: The weak base will produce significantly less OH- ions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freetown)
    NH3 partially dissociates whilst the NaOH completely dissociates. So for the question I would write out the equations to show this.

but the idea of partially and completely comes from weak and strong acids right?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    but the idea of partially and completely comes from weak and strong acids right?
    You can apply that logic to bases too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Booyah)
    weak bases are a bit like weak acids, there is only partial dissociation of the acid. In this example of NH3 it is dissolved in water. The acid is the H20

NH3+ H20 <---> NH4+ + OH-

Strong bases like KOH dissociate fully, like strong acids

KOH-----> K+ + OH-

Any questions?

EDIT: The weak base will produce significantly less OH- ions
    so for 3 marks

should i state NH3 is a weak base as it partially dissociates to give OH- and KOH is strong base because completely dissociates to form OH-

and for equations should i give the example with NH3 reacting with water to give NH4+ and OH-

and the KOH dissociating to give K+ + OH-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    You can apply that logic to bases too
    Thank you, where have u been for so long
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you, where have u been for so long
    I've been around

But I got banned twice, loooooooool

ReputationRep:
    Write the equation for a weak base as an equilibrium and for a strong base as going to completion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freetown)
    NH3 partially dissociates whilst the NaOH completely dissociates. So for the question I would write out the equations to show this.

NH3 does not dissociate!! (Well it does, but there is one molecule of NH2- for every ~1035 molecules of NH3)

NH3 is a weak base because the equilibrium for the following equation lies towards the left.

NH3 + H2O <--> NH4+ + HO-

NaOH dissociates fully into Na+ ions and HO- ions

HO- is a strong base because the equilibrium for the following reaction is in the middle. (well I don't like this wording but I guess A levels want bases put into the context of formation of HO- ions rather than pKa)

HO- + H2O <--> H2O + HO-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    NH3 does not dissociate!! (Well it does, but there is one molecule of NH2- for every ~1035 molecules of NH3)

NH3 is a weak base because the equilibrium for the following equation lies towards the left.

NH3 + H2O <--> NH4+ + HO-
    would it be more accurate to say "NH3 partially ionizes" instead?

ReputationRep:
    so for 3 marks

should i state NH3 is a weak base as it partially dissociates to give OH- and KOH is strong base because completely dissociates to form OH-

and for equations should i give the example with NH3 reacting with water to give NH4+ and OH-

and the KOH dissociating to give K+ + OH-
    Sorry I meant to say that ammonia associates, but yeah pretty much all that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.