Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about Barclays bank and overdraft charges watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, here's my sitution.

If I'm overdrawn by £5 from lets say last monday and I don't top up the account to be in the black until friday, are there any extra charges incurred? I have not made any transactions since then.

Basically over a month ago I had a direct debit coming out on a friday and a payment coming in on the same day. However, the DD happened first (and as a result I was overdrawn) and the payment came in a few hours later yet I was still classed as overdrawn.

I only got the £8 charge on monday, which made me overdrawn again, and didn't notice it until today :mad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Direct Debits are authorised and paid overnight the night before the due date so the payment out is always going to show up before any payment into the account.

That said, it's pretty harsh to charge you. My bank give you until 4.30pm to pay money into your account to avoid charges. They will also text you so you know you need to do it. My bank also do not charge a fee if an overdraft is caused exclusively by another fee. £8 is not a high charge though but maybe if you call them up and ask nicely, they will refund it to you. Do you really not have a spare £10 in your bank account? What money do you use to live off? Running your balance so close to zero means you need to pay constant attention to the account if you want to avoid charges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibee)
    Direct Debits are authorised and paid overnight the night before the due date so the payment out is always going to show up before any payment into the account.

That said, it's pretty harsh to charge you. My bank give you until 4.30pm to pay money into your account to avoid charges. They will also text you so you know you need to do it. My bank also do not charge a fee if an overdraft is caused exclusively by another fee. £8 is not a high charge though but maybe if you call them up and ask nicely, they will refund it to you. Do you really not have a spare £10 in your bank account? What money do you use to live off? Running your balance so close to zero means you need to pay constant attention to the account if you want to avoid charges.
    Cheers for the reply. Yeah I'm going to ring them up because it does seem harsh.

The reason I'm screwed money wise at the moment is because my loan is coming in at the end of the month (thought it was coming in around the 1st of may) and I had to buy a new suit a couple of months ago for job interview etc. So I'm living off a savings account now that I had to draw out of to go back in the black, I'm never normally overdrawn.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.