Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad Experiences With Real Estate Agents? ( Haart Lettings ) Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    I have had a couple of bad experiences with different real estate agents over the years. And I have heard bad stories from friends too. So I thought I would start a thread and leave my most recent experience/rant here.

I recently let from Haart Lettings Guildford (~ 6 months ago) - given that they are fairly well known, and that university was starting again soon - so I was desperate - rental properties were going left, right and center.

Signed up to a 6 month contract, and the tenancy period was mostly OK. They came to inspect the flat once. However, on one occasion I received a VERY rude call.

I was staying with my brother in the flat, and this was all known information before the contracts were signed at the beginning. I had said that my brother was going to move out once he found his own place, and that it might be temporary. However, she rudely demanded one day to know where my brother was staying - including the exact location in the flat.

She asked where he was sleeping - in the lounge room, or in the same bedroom as me. Keep in mind that this is a HUGE 1 bedroom flat, and that this was known in the first place. Needless to say, I ended the call, because I didn't want to answer such rude, demanding, and useless personal questions.

Now the landlord is a very wealthy man, who has a very respectable job in the health sector. He also happens to manage countless properties around the area.

Fast forward to the end of the contract, and we are served up with entire PAGES worth of information that is blamed upon us, almost NONE of which was mentioned during checkout.

I can swear to god that I left the property in a better condition that it was in the first place (nothing was cleaned, oven was disgusting etc.); as I am an extremely clean person. (I don't even drink, and also didn't have ANYBODY over during my stay. No parties, nothing whatsoever.) The images that they sent in the check out report was over 5 YEARS old, dating back to 2008.

They even blamed some of the stuff that the previous tenant had caused. Now I happen to have a few photo's of the condition of the flat the day I entered. I threatened the estate agent to go to TDS, telling her of my evidence. So far they have some how wiped off the bulk of the charges, but they are negotiating with me over the last £50 or so for cleaning, despite me having the place professionally cleaned, cleaning it even myself, and offering the invoice for the cleaning. They just don't care.

This is incredible, given that the landlord is extremely wealthy, and works in a "reputable" position. So far they have had my deposit for over 4 weeks and counting, and have ignored countless emails & telephone calls.

TLDR;

So if there are any students looking to rent from Haart Lettings Guildford, AVOID at all costs, especially if you care for the sake of your sanity. Not only do they have non-existent customer service, they are a bunch of thieves. /rant.

Here you go people, it's your turn...
    You were doing so well until your last sentence. You could now be sued for libel.

ReputationRep:
    They are sharks. They are trying it on. Maybe you seem like someone who can be intimidated? As an industry they treat people like crap. Don't let them push you about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If they are refusing to release the deposit it's because the landlord is refusing to release it. They cannot release it without his say so. Nor can they take your money without your agreement in writing. If you believe you have a case take it to TDS who will require the landlord to prove that he is entitled to your deposit not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    You were doing so well until your last sentence. You could now be sued for libel.
    Nope, it's called fair comment.

See:

“The law as to fair comment, so far as is material to the present case, stands as follows: In the first place, comment in order to be justifiable as fair comment must appear as comment and must not be so mixed up with the facts that the reader cannot distinguish between what is report and what is comment: see Andrews v. Chapman. [FN16]
    See also:

In relation to malice in the context of fair comment (which is different from the malice in the context of qualified privilege), Lord Nicholls of Birkenhead NPJ said in Albert Cheng v Tse Wai Chun (2000) 3 HKCFAR 339 at p 360I to 361D:

“My conclusion on the authorities is that, for the most part, the relevant judicial statements are consistent with the views which I have expressed as a matter of principle. To summarise, in my view a comment which falls within the objective limits of the defence of fair comment can lose its immunity only by proof that the defendant did not genuinely hold the view he expressed. Honesty of belief is the touchstone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interino)
    They are sharks. They are trying it on. Maybe you seem like someone who can be intimidated? As an industry they treat people like crap. Don't let them push you about

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your post. I am definitely not someone who can be intimidated, I can assure you.

(Original post by LegsLaBelle)
    If they are refusing to release the deposit it's because the landlord is refusing to release it. They cannot release it without his say so. Nor can they take your money without your agreement in writing. If you believe you have a case take it to TDS who will require the landlord to prove that he is entitled to your deposit not the other way round.
    I don't think it is necessary - given that the time & effort it will take up. Studying for exams at the moment, lots of assignments. Include in the all costs for printing all color photos as evidence + postage as well, and I don't think it is worth it for the amount requested anymore. (Although they were initially going to charge more probably.)

Anyway, has nobody else had any bad experiences? I didn't intend this thread to be all about me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    Incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Thanks for your post. I am definitely not someone who can be intimidated, I can assure you.

I don't think it is necessary - given that the time & effort it will take up. Studying for exams at the moment, lots of assignments. Include in the all costs for printing all color photos as evidence + postage as well, and I don't think it is worth it for the amount requested anymore. (Although they were initially going to charge more probably.)

Anyway, has nobody else had any bad experiences? I didn't intend this thread to be all about me
    I've had some bad experiences with a few different real estate agencies in London.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is one of the many reasons why I've stayed in halls. Find some private halls in September, they will always lower their prices to fill.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.