Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am an international student and I am currently choosing between Durham and King's College London for their business programs. A very important aspect for me in college choice is employability. I believe that King's had got the edge in being in London but perhaps Durham has got the edge on academic prestige. I ultimately want to work in London, but I am confused with which university I should go to that will give me the competitiveness in job applications.

I hope someone can answer my question and I really would really appreciate as much input as possible in other aspects of these two universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know very little about Durham, but I have recently confirmed my offer to Kings and one of the major factor which attracted me was the excellent student support, particularly (according to the student who showed us around on the open day and others) with careers guidance. Generally the employability of King's graduates does seem to to be very good. Also if you're hoping to make business contacts in London then the location really couldn't be better.

However it really does depend largely on the individual courses, I don't really know about business but each course should have different employability figures (stating the obvious I know) and Durham does have a great reputation, as far as I can work out often taking the Oxbridge applicants who didn't quite make it..

Hope that helps a little

ReputationRep:
    They're both equally the same in terms of employability as they're both prestigious University. The main question is: which do you prefer?

Choose which one you love most, or can see yourself at. Durham is a small City surrounded by small villages. Whereas London is a much larger City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tung6393)
    Hi everyone,

I am an international student and I am currently choosing between Durham and King's College London for their business programs. A very important aspect for me in college choice is employability. I believe that King's had got the edge in being in London but perhaps Durham has got the edge on academic prestige. I ultimately want to work in London, but I am confused with which university I should go to that will give me the competitiveness in job applications.

I hope someone can answer my question and I really would really appreciate as much input as possible in other aspects of these two universities.
    Kings. Kings has a greater reputation abroad compared to durham and that should concern you since youre an international student. Kings has the best graduate prospects out of all of the unis in the UK, well thats what ive read in an article. Tbh its quite hard for an international student to work in the UK no matter which uni they attend.

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I do not have much knowledge on this matter. However, my opinion is to look at the Graduate stats in terms of destination and salaries. Do not be fooled by the information, on websites, claiming high percentages. Focus on the destinations such as the big banks and other big corporations.

I do not agree with Nitrogen (no disrespect!) on the statement: Tbh its quite hard for an international student to work in the UK no matter which uni they attend.

I think that the university that anyone attends has an impact on the student's prospects. For example, if an international student graduates with a 1st class from Oxford, Warwick, Cambridge, UCL in Finance or Economics. I doubt that he/she would find it hard to get jobs.

I have a friend that went for an Assurance interview at one of the Big 4 accounting firms (KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and Ernst & Young). He was competing for a place out of 6 positions against 11 other candidates. 3 from Cambridge, 2 from Durham, 3 from Warwick, 2 from Oxford and 1 from LSE. 5 out of the other 11 candidates were all international students from Asia and America. He was also an internal student, but the only one that was not from a Top 10 university. Unfortunately, he did not get the job. I know that this example is not strong enough, but it is something that is relevant.

My own opinion is that you attend Durham. This is because there is more that may be offered such as the Collegiate experience and so on. However, if you are set on working in the City, you should probably choose Kings because it would be closer to the "big guns".

Before you decide, think about what your future plans are (if you have concrete ones) and compare both institutions according to those plans. Also try to contact current students from Durham and Kings. They would be in a better position to discuss their experience.

Good luck with everything and I hope that you make the correct decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MEXING)
    Hello.

I do not have much knowledge on this matter. However, my opinion is to look at the Graduate stats in terms of destination and salaries. Do not be fooled by the information, on websites, claiming high percentages. Focus on the destinations such as the big banks and other big corporations.

I do not agree with Nitrogen (no disrespect!) on the statement: Tbh its quite hard for an international student to work in the UK no matter which uni they attend.

I think that the university that anyone attends has an impact on the student's prospects. For example, if an international student graduates with a 1st class from Oxford, Warwick, Cambridge, UCL in Finance or Economics. I doubt that he/she would find it hard to get jobs.

I have a friend that went for an Assurance interview at one of the Big 4 accounting firms (KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and Ernst & Young). He was competing for a place out of 6 positions against 11 other candidates. 3 from Cambridge, 2 from Durham, 3 from Warwick, 2 from Oxford and 1 from LSE. 5 out of the other 11 candidates were all international students from Asia and America. He was also an internal student, but the only one that was not from a Top 10 university. Unfortunately, he did not get the job. I know that this example is not strong enough, but it is something that is relevant.

My own opinion is that you attend Durham. This is because there is more that may be offered such as the Collegiate experience and so on. However, if you are set on working in the City, you should probably choose Kings because it would be closer to the "big guns".

Before you decide, think about what your future plans are (if you have concrete ones) and compare both institutions according to those plans. Also try to contact current students from Durham and Kings. They would be in a better position to discuss their experience.

Good luck with everything and I hope that you make the correct decision.
    Of course I don't doubt international students' abilities, but the hard thing is gaining permission to work in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitrogen)
    Of course I don't doubt international students' abilities, but the hard thing is gaining permission to work in the UK.

Yes, that is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tung6393)
    Hi everyone,

KCL is better, it has higher starting salary:

http://blog.studylondon.ac.uk/2012/0...uate-salaries/

Regarding employment:

KCL - 76%
    Durham - 74%

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...gue-table-2013

KCL - 79,6%
    Durham - 78,5%

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?o=Prospects

It is also important to mention that KCL does have bigger international reputation and also better exchange possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...?ref=education

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...ic.html?ref=nf

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/roug...ble/9#12446682

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    could any one give advice on the best Uk universities for MA in applied linguistics and TESOL?
    Does it really matter if the name of the MA is applied linguistics for TESOL as in Durham university and applied linguistics and English teaching as in Nottingham and king's college london?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.