Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey. So I thought about sharing my tips about driving with you guys.
    I thought it would be a good idea to share any suggestion, so it will help us with passing our tests.

I'm having my driving test next week, and I'm just trying to remember everything that will help me with passing my test. I had about 20 lessons with my instructor and I have been driving my dad's car since I've turned 16, so I'm pretty confident about my driving.

The only thing that bothers me about my exam is forgetting about observations, missing any road sings and stuff like that. So let me share with you some of my tips, which should be useful for you, and which I found difficult to remember while I'm driving.

First one - When you're braking harshly CHECK YOUR MIRROR! I know this is kind of stupid, because if I'm going to brake rapidly, looking in my middle mirror is not going to change my decision. But my driving instructor tells me that, I should be checking if there's a car behind me, so I'm not causing any hazards to the driver behind me, by braking harshly
    Second one - When there's a pedestrian in front of you, who's crossing the road, always wait for him to cross the whole road. don't just drive away, when he's in the middle, because what if he decides to turn back...
    Third one - when approaching a roundabout or a junction, change your gear on your way instead of stopping before a roundabout and changing it there. You might have a chance of entering a roundabout without stopping, so be prepared before joining in
    Always check what's the speed limit, remember when there's a sign which says the speed limit is 40mph, don't acceralate before the sign. You can only do it after you drove passed it.
    Don't think that driving slower than you should be is good. It slows down other drivers and creates a hazard.
    Don't be scared to change gears, driving on second gear through the whole town is not going to impress your examinator.
    Be prepared to stop for pedestrians, when approaching a pedestrian crossing
    Always use signals, but make sure you don't use them to early, as it might confuse other drivers, and then at the same time, don't signal just before making a turn. This is really important when you're driving on a roundabout or when changing a lane.
    And the most important one - OBSERVATIONS!! Do them, when you're pulling away or during maneuvers, look through your left and right shoulder, then use all three mirrors. When turning right remember to check the middle mirror and then the right one. Do the same when turning left. Make sure your examinator sees you doing it. Don't just 'move' your eyes. Move your head as well.
    REMEMBER that you can never be too careful, but at the same time, don't be a pansy. Show confidence.

So guys, I think that's all what I wanted to point out. You should consider these points because as a learner driver you probably at one point made some of these mistakes, just like me, so remember to work on things which are not your strongest points.
    I can't give you any more tips, as I haven't passed my driving test yet, but these are the most common mistakes, which I have made, therefore I hope you will find them useful.
    Wish me luck on my test guys. I'll come back next week and share my thoughts with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emedie)
    I thought it would be a good idea to share any suggestion, so it will help us with passing our tests.

I'm having my driving test next week, and I'm just trying to remember everything that will help me with passing my test. I had about 20 lessons with my instructor and I have been driving my dad's car since I've turned 16, so I'm pretty confident about my driving.

The only thing that bothers me about my exam is forgetting about observations, missing any road sings and stuff like that. So let me share with you some of my tips, which should be useful for you, and which I found difficult to remember while I'm driving.

First one - When you're braking harshly CHECK YOUR MIRROR! I know this is kind of stupid, because if I'm going to brake rapidly, looking in my middle mirror is not going to change my decision. But my driving instructor tells me that, I should be checking if there's a car behind me, so I'm not causing any hazards to the driver behind me, by braking harshly
    Second one - When there's a pedestrian in front of you, who's crossing the road, always wait for him to cross the whole road. don't just drive away, when he's in the middle, because what if he decides to turn back...
    Third one - when approaching a roundabout or a junction, change your gear on your way instead of stopping before a roundabout and changing it there. You might have a chance of entering a roundabout without stopping, so be prepared before joining in
    Always check what's the speed limit, remember when there's a sign which says the speed limit is 40mph, don't acceralate before the sign. You can only do it after you drove passed it.
    Don't think that driving slower than you should be is good. It slows down other drivers and creates a hazard.
    Don't be scared to change gears, driving on second gear through the whole town is not going to impress your examinator.
    Always use signals, but make sure you don't use them to early, as it might confuse other drivers, and then at the same time, don't signal just before making a turn. This is really important when you're driving on a roundabout or when changing a lane.
    And the most important one - OBSERVATIONS!! Do them, when you're pulling away or during maneuvers, look through your left and right shoulder, then use all three mirrors. When turning right remember to check the middle mirror and then the right one. Do the same when turning left. Make sure your examinator sees you doing it. Don't just 'move' your eyes. Move your head as well.
    REMEMBER that you can never be too careful, but at the same time, don't be a pansy. Show confidence.

So guys, I think that's all what I wanted to point out. You should consider these points because as a learner driver you probably at one point made some of these mistakes, just like me, so remember to work on things which are not your strongest points.
    I can't give you any more tips, as I haven't passed my driving test yet, but these are the most common mistakes, which I have made, therefore I hope you will find them useful.
    Wish me luck on my test guys. I'll come back next week and share my thoughts with you.
    Do everything youve been practising! Chat to the examiner to get them a bit on your side. I should have failed mine but because i was nice to my examiner he was more chilled out about stuff and youll do just fine, be happy!

ReputationRep:

Great tips there, especially the observations. One must always be vigilant because you never know what can happen in the next 3 seconds.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you get in the wrong lane at a roundabout (or anywhere) then if you can't change, go where your lane goes. You won't fail for going the wrong way but you will fail for crashing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    One thing that I discovered from personal experience; I'm a hell of a lot more observant when I know that I've got someone examining my every move and deciding whether or not I should have a driving license.
    Even towards the end of my lessons when I was nearing my first test, I would still sometimes miss silly things like mirror checking here or there, or not notice that my signal had switched off or even forgetting to turn off the signal after signalling to change lanes and stuff like that.
    It took me 3 tests to pass, but over all 3 of my tests I never got a single mirror or signalling fault.

So yeah... my advice is, just do what you've been taught, and try to control your nerves. Being a bit nervous like I said may help your concentration and reactions. It can make you do something silly as well, as I discovered the hard way during my second test. But overall, it kept me alert and focussed.

For anyone that doesn't manage to pass the first time, don't get down; identify what it is you did wrong, and learn from your mistakes. As I said, I may have failed twice, but I never made the same mistake twice over all 3 of my tests.

First test, I was debating whether or not I should pull out. I was behind the give way line, but a lorry-driver waved me to go since he wanted to turn into the road I was in, and it was a pretty narrow road. There was a guy behind the lorry dithering, so I decided to pull out; the guy then saw me pulling out and must have thought, "Hey, I've got right of way here!" and tried to race out. I was already out in the middle of the road, and he had to use his brakes "because of me" so I failed.
    What I should have done is wait and see what he did and told the examiner why I was waiting.

Second time, I'd driven badly the hour before the test anyway due to a complete lack of sleep the night before for no apparent reason. I only ended up with 4 minors during the test, but the moment of failure was hugely significant.
    I was changing from 1st to 2nd coming round a blind bend, not knowing that the road narrowed just after the bend. Just as I get round the bend, I hit the narrow part and a car is filling the gap. In a panick I somehow slipped into 4th rather than 2nd without realising. Now this wouldn't have been a problem has I reacted how I'd normally react; kept the clutch down, put the brake on, then rolled it into 1st. But what I actually decided to do was bring the clutch up, then start to brake. Since the car was in 4th it just kept pulling while I was tickling the brake expecting it to stop. In the panic I wasn't paying much attention to the direction of my car and ended up scraping the door mirror of a car parked on my left. Serious fault there.
    This situation could have been avoided by something any driver should hone as a mantra; expect the unexpected.

On my third and last test, my driving was pretty much perfect. Only one minor fault during my manoeuvre; reverse parallel parking on a very narrow road is something I've never done before, and I scraped the curb on the right as I swang the car out to the right. Could well have come away with 0 minors if I'd gotten a nicer road to do it on.
    It had just started snowing before my test, so by the time I started the test everyone was out panic-buying and the traffic was an absolute nightmare on all of the tightest roads and there was a LOT of "meeting traffic" going on. I remembered what my instructor had taught me about having to give way if there was no gap that oncoming cars could squeeze into when I had a gap myself, and slowing right down when there was an inevitable tight squeeze.
    At the end of the test the examiner used the phrase "flying colours" to describe my pass and said if he didn't know better, the way I was handling the traffic he'd have thought I'd been driving for a good few years already.
    It's very important to take in what the examiner says to you at the end of your test. If they're giving some constructive criticism on your driving, listen to what they're saying and really take it on board to make sure you can identify what you're doing wrong and correct it. If they do compliment you, great, use it as a confidence booster and don't change that particular part of your driving.

ReputationRep:

Certainly useful tips especially the looks we need to do. Good point-make the tester aware that the looks are made.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.