Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 and intend on doing French at a good university the year after next, and because I will have finished my full A-Level this year (I took my AS a year early) I need something to do based on French next year.... my teacher has told me to do an extended project. I need some ideas on what I could do as I'm completely clueless! thankyouuuu :confused: x

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about doing something on French-language literature? You could look at certain themes in a book originally written in French or something. You can do pretty much anything, a good way to decide what you want to do might be to figure out what you're most interested in in French, such as modules you might want to do at uni, and try to develop a project around that idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe17)
    I'm currently in year 12 and intend on doing French at a good university the year after next, and because I will have finished my full A-Level this year (I took my AS a year early) I need something to do based on French next year.... my teacher has told me to do an extended project. I need some ideas on what I could do as I'm completely clueless! thankyouuuu :confused: x
    I would second the suggestion to do someone literature based, as a lot of the top universities fro French require the study of literature and this would put you in good stead.

If you decide to do something based on French literature, you should start researching authors or periods that look appealing. A good idea might be to pick some famous authors and read a few of their works.

I would personally recommend Racine, Molière, Baudelaire. You could even compare French works to English works as that might provide interesting questions - like the differing approaches to tragedy seen in Racine and Shakespeare.

You could also look at French film as well - there are a lot of interesting films about France in WWII like Au revoir les enfants, Le silence de la Mer, Lucien Lacombe (which could be studied in conjunction with books like Un sac de billes)

There are so many things you could do!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree too that a literature-based extended project would be ideal.

You could take several approaches:

- study several works by a particular author;
    - study a particular genre through different periods - i.e. plays, novels, poetry...
    - study the literature of a particular historic period (WW2 is a good choice as it also provides film)
    - compare and contrast different authors of a similar period (Camus / Sartre for example)

Take the summer to look around - read some French works in translation to begin with to see what you enjoy most.

You're so lucky to have the chance to do this!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.