Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just read this article - http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3409311

Wondered, A) if it will happen? and B) is it the right move?

Personally I think it's going to happen, but I think that Apple does benefit a lot from Intel processors, both on a performance and a branding level.

Thoughts?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Just read this article - http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3409311

Wondered, A) if it will happen? and B) is it the right move?

Personally I think it's going to happen, but I think that Apple does benefit a lot from Intel processors, both on a performance and a branding level.

Thoughts?

Tom
    Maybe in the very long term they may - but as it stands not a chance. Intel make the best chips around and it would be silly for them to move away - plus the intel brand is a household name so there's that too.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be the first time Apple have changed processor. 10 years ago they weren't using Intel, they had PowerPC processors and it took several years for a lot of the software to change to Intel code rather than having to run through an emulation layer.

I think a lot might depend on which way computers go. For general processing needs (Internet, videos, word processing) then ARM might be a good choice to go. Even some gaming might be possible with a decent graphics chip.

For high performance CPU's I think it's still with Intel at the moment. Unless you want high numbers of CPU's in a single chassis in which case you might be looking at one of the more traditional Unix systems (such as Sparc)

ReputationRep:
    No.

Putting ARM chips in desktops is stupid, they're good for low power devices like smartphones but not where performance is more important than power use.

ARM is not compatible with x86 (Intel), they would lose compatibility with all current mac apps and Windows in boot camp without emulation.

ReputationRep:
    "This is a geek technical issue, but the ultimate question is could Apple keep up with what Intel is doing in terms of speed and graphics?" said Creative Strategies analyst Tim Bajarin. "At this moment, I'm not sure."

I agree with this statement.

ReputationRep:
    Never happening.
    I.e- they may abandon Intel for AMD, but they won't abandon x86 platform. So far- there is no faster processors than x86 (even ARM's processors are loosing against low-power Atoms). AMD's APUs are promising (especially the upcoming 3rd generation bulldozer), but in terms of real CPU-horsepower they are still behind Intel (although, APUs are more than just CPUs)
    Anyway- Apple has got plenty of experience with changing platforms (M68k --> PowerPC --> PC)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.