Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a student from the Uk who has done my high schooling in the USA, therefore I don't have A-Levels. I was wondering firstly how long does it take to do the full AS economics? Is it possible over 2 months summer? Also which is the easiest exam board to score an A?
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    I can't compare too much, but I can give you the low down on AS Economics on the AQA Exam board:
    - 2 papers: ECON1 (Micro), ECON2 (Macro)
    - Both papers have the same style: 1 hour 15mins
    Section A: 25 multiple choice question
    Section B: 5, 8, 12, 25 mark questions

I'd say its a pretty straight forward exam board that covers all aspects of the foundations of economics in reasonable detail, if you have a strong interest for the subject you should find AS Economics logical and straight forward.

In my opinion, there is only one book you need for an A in Economics and that is the Nelson Thornes AQA AS Economics book.

Personally, I would say two months is a bit tight to learn AQA Economics - the multiple choice takes some time getting use too and people find Unit 1 a little harder.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people say that OCR is easier? Is it really true?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faye_m)
    Why do people say that OCR is easier? Is it really true?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I'm unsure, you'll have to ask someone who does OCR.

Or alternatively, compare OCR/AQA/Edexcel past papers.

But don't forget, harder/easier papers will be weighed with lower/higher grade boundaries respectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faye_m)
    Hi,
    I am a student from the Uk who has done my high schooling in the USA, therefore I don't have A-Levels. I was wondering firstly how long does it take to do the full AS economics? Is it possible over 2 months summer? Also which is the easiest exam board to score an A?
    thanx
    Why not take the Economics AP? Just curious? My son is a US student who will be reading PPE starting this fall, and so he applied based solely on test scores from the US, - AP, SAT ,SAT II'S, ACT, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usmom)
    Why not take the Economics AP? Just curious? My son is a US student who will be reading PPE starting this fall, and so he applied based solely on test scores from the US, - AP, SAT ,SAT II'S, ACT, etc.
    Because I'm back in the UK now. Either way I've scrapped that idea and will be doing further Maths instead as its more important for my course. But if I was in USA I would for sure do AP's they are way easier than A levels. I got 5's on all

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.