Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, i know that this is a repetition of another post, but that one wasnt a poll....

The question is Do you believe in God, or that he exists?

ReputationRep:
    I'm agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I'm agnostic.
    I used to be an agnostic. Now I'm not so sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I'm agnostic.
    that is perhaps the scariest avatar i have ever seen!!! oh my god *runs n hides her head under a pillow* :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    50% NOs! the world has gone mad. Have mercy on us all, God.

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea that there were so many athiests. Maybe its only the people at UKL...

ReputationRep:
    I believe in godok say he doesnt exist who made the world etc etc there are examples of creations just by looking out of the window,,,something must have initiated science so what........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradders)
    Do I ‘believe’ in God? Well I most certainly have faith in God…
    im glad to hear that some people havent gone crazy.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    im glad to hear that some people havent gone crazy.......
    What do you mean "crazy"?

Why would it be crazy not to believe in this "God"-person of yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    What do you mean "crazy"?

Why would it be crazy not to believe in this "God"-person of yours?
    ok, maybe, crazy is not the right word.....how about stupid ?

ReputationRep:
    no... im just joking...i just hope you believe before its too late...

ReputationRep:
    ok, maybe, crazy is not the right word.....how about stupid ?
    Why would it be stupid? Have you any reason for people to believe in a god?

ReputationRep:
    i often find myself to believe in god only when i need god. I often forget about god when i am at the happiest times, which i dont think makes me a very good person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i often find myself to believe in god only when i need god. I often forget about god when i am at the happiest times, which i dont think makes me a very good person
    It doesn't make you a bad person. It is natural for people to wish for an irrational way to alter their situation when they have problems.

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be stupid? Have you any reason for people to believe in a god?

as i said... sorry, i was joking(about the stupid part)

If there was a way to show you, like by performing a miracle for example, would you believe?

God works in mysterious ways...he doesnt just make thousands of miracles happen just to prove that he exists. he expects his followers to spread the good news, and those who follow it, will be saved. those who do not, however, may be given a chance to repent, but it is up to them if they believe or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)

dont we all? But at least, when you do need him, and when you are helped, thank God, and apologise for your wrongs.

We often forget about God when we are happy, or having fun, but he will never forget;he will never forget any one of us...

ReputationRep:
    as i said... sorry, i was joking(about the stupid part)

If there was a way to show you, like by performing a miracle for example, would you believe?

God works in mysterious ways...he doesnt just make thousands of miracles happen just to prove that he exists. he expects his followers to spread the good news, and those who follow it, will be saved. those who do not, however, may be given a chance to repent, but it is up to them if they believe or not...
    But then how would you have me choose between you and every other cultist out there whose god will damn me if I don't believe in him? I am not saying that I know for certain that there is no such thing as a god, simply that I see no reason for believing it.

You wouldn't have known about Chrisianity (I presume here that you are a christian) if someone hadn't told you about it, so why do you believe in that instead of, say, Hinduism?

ReputationRep:
    But then how would you have me choose between you and every other cultist out there whose god will damn me if I don't believe in him? I am not saying that I know for certain that there is no such thing as a god, simply that I see no reason for believing it.

You wouldn't have known about Chrisianity (I presume here that you are a christian) if someone hadn't told you about it, so why do you believe in that instead of, say, Hinduism?
    I wouldnt have you to choose. it is your decision-there is no right or wrong. And who gave you the idea that God will damn you if you dont believe in him? I never said that, and nobody should. Gods rules are simply a path to help you on your way to good, and eternal life. it doesnt mean youll go to hell if you dont believe in him.

If i was taught to be a hindu, i would accept it. Hinduism is actually very similar to Christianity, more so than you might think(apart from the matter of Polytheism). There is nothing wrong with any other religion, you are just being taught in a different way. God will always be at your side, no matter what religion you believe in.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt have you to choose. it is your decision-there is no right or wrong. And who gave you the idea that God will damn you if you dont believe in him? I never said that, and nobody should. Gods rules are simply a path to help you on your way to good, and eternal life. it doesnt mean youll go to hell if you dont believe in him.

If i was taught to be a hindu, i would accept it. Hinduism is actually very similar to Christianity, more so than you might think(apart from the matter of Polytheism). There is nothing wrong with any other religion, you are just being taught in a different way. God will always be at your side, no matter what religion you believe in.
    But no two religions are the same. How then do we determine what is true? What does it matter whether or not I believe in anything, if all religions are equally true?

ReputationRep:
    An interesting concept is presented in Dogma. It states that faith is like a glass of water. "When you are little the glass is small and easy to fill up (eg. you are suceptable to ideas and accept impossible things easier.). As you grow up, the glass gets larger and it takes more to fill it." (eg. you learn more about the way the world works, and even if you still believe your belief may not be as strong as you are exposed to more logical ideas). In this case, the more the glass grows (the older and smarter you are) the more you need to be exposed to religion to accept it. These days most people are hardly ever exposed directly to faith unless theirs is already strong (eg in church). So people tend to lose their faith easily. Quite rightly too.

However, in other religions (Islam in particular) people are brought up more strictly in the faith, and taught religious ideals more than science, or at the same time. This leads to stronger faith and the occasional fanatic.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.