Turn on thread page Beta

Do You Believe in God? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    An interesting concept is presented in Dogma. It states that faith is like a glass of water. "When you are little the glass is small and easy to fill up (eg. you are suceptable to ideas and accept impossible things easier.). As you grow up, the glass gets larger and it takes more to fill it." (eg. you learn more about the way the world works, and even if you still believe your belief may not be as strong as you are exposed to more logical ideas). In this case, the more the glass grows (the older and smarter you are) the more you need to be exposed to religion to accept it. These days most people are hardly ever exposed directly to faith unless theirs is already strong (eg in church). So people tend to lose their faith easily. Quite rightly too.

However, in other religions (Islam in particular) people are brought up more strictly in the faith, and taught religious ideals more than science, or at the same time. This leads to stronger faith and the occasional fanatic.
    Yeah. The longer people have been living with their "faith", the more water there is in the glass, and so it takes longer to empty when they are finally confronted with logic.

Quite a lot of christians starting threads like this one aren't there? It seems as if they feel a constant need for reaffirmation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    But no two religions are the same. How then do we determine what is true? What does it matter whether or not I believe in anything, if all religions are equally true?
    Thats the question i cant answer....youll have to ask God. all i can say, is you cant really determine which is true, but you can go for the one you think is right, and at least you believe in something.

It matters a lot if you believe. God loves us all-he wants us all to love him back-just as a parent would to his/her child. We are all his children, and he wants us to believe, so that we can share eternal life with him.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. The longer people have been living with their "faith", the more water there is in the glass, and so it takes longer to empty when they are finally confronted with logic.
    Not a bad metaphor eh? Especialy as it was used for a sex joke. Then next line was, "So you think I need filling?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    Thats the question i cant answer....youll have to ask God. all i can say, is you cant really determine which is true, but you can go for the one you think is right, and at least you believe in something.

It matters a lot if you believe. God loves us all-he wants us all to love him back-just as a parent would to his/her child. We are all his children, and he wants us to believe, so that we can share eternal life with him.
    So what you are saying is that I should simply choose a religion, in case it turns out to be the right one?

But choosing a religion simply so that "at least I believe in something" wouldn't be faith would it?

What, incidentally, do you mean by "share eternal life with him"?

ReputationRep:

Quite a lot of christians starting threads like this one aren't there? It seems as if they feel a constant need for reaffirmation.
    Who is it that will have a full glass at the end? Christians.(and hindus, muslims jews etc.)
    logic? what is logic... can you explain.

It is amazing how such a high tech satellite was just 'found' floating in space, in its orbit around the world.

the reasons christians start threads like this is because it is the job of all christians to spread the word of God...

ReputationRep:
    the reasons christians start threads like this is because it is the job of all christians to spread the word of God...
    But all you are doing is telling us about this god of yours, and saying that we should believe in him.

Why should we believe in your god? You give no reason other than your own so-called faith.

ReputationRep:
    So what you are saying is that I should simply choose a religion, in case it turns out to be the right one?

But choosing a religion simply so that "at least I believe in something" wouldn't be faith would it?

What, incidentally, do you mean by "share eternal life with him"?
    Youve somehow missed the point. i was trying to say that it doesnt matter what religion you believe in, as long as you have faith in God

And i basically mean you go to heaven...

ReputationRep:
    But all you are doing is telling us about this god of yours, and saying that we should believe in him.

Why should we believe in your god? You give no reason other than your own so-called faith.

THATS THE WHOLE POINT!

ok... ill tell you how i know God exists. I can feel him. i cant see him, but i can feel him.

Ok..logic. How do you know wind exists?(other than because you can feel it)

ReputationRep:
    THATS THE WHOLE POINT!

ok... ill tell you how i know God exists. I can feel him. i cant see him, but i can feel him.

Ok..logic. How do you know wind exists?(other than because you can feel it)
    I believe wind exists because I feel it.

How do you "feel" your god?

ReputationRep:
    Who is it that will have a full glass at the end? Christians.(and hindus, muslims jews etc.)
    logic? what is logic... can you explain.

It is amazing how such a high tech satellite was just 'found' floating in space, in its orbit around the world.

Er, yeessss... What the hell are you on. The whole point of the glass idea is to show that faith exists only when it is constantly confermed. Logicaly we should all ignore outside ideals and form our own ideas, the argue like this to see whos was right. I tried this and came out Athiest.

Is the second part refering to the "perfect" earth? A planet that spends only 10000 years at a time habitable, and can be sterilised in an instant by radiation, or a day by an asteroid.

ReputationRep:

I feel his presence. How do you feel 'love' or 'hate' or 'anger'? it is an emotion. i am not saying that God is an emotion, but i am saying that i can feel him like i can feel love or hate.

ReputationRep:

Look, you cannot prove the existence or non-existence of God, and even if you could, you then have to prove all these properties exist within him.

Also, assuming God exists he will be 'Just' (hopefully) and non-believers who lead a good life will not be punished, and those who don't won't have eternal damnation was that is not justice (nothing can deserve eternal damnation) so its all good.

Irrational to believe either way, have your faith privatly rather than preaching on here. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Er, yeessss... What the hell are you on. The whole point of the glass idea is to show that faith exists only when it is constantly confermed. Logicaly we should all ignore outside ideals and form our own ideas, the argue like this to see whos was right. I tried this and came out Athiest.

Is the second part refering to the "perfect" earth? A planet that spends only 10000 years at a time habitable, and can be sterilised in an instant by radiation, or a day by an asteroid.
    I would expect that from someone like you.

You dont know what you are talking about... God created the world.

ReputationRep:
    I feel his presence. How do you feel 'love' or 'hate' or 'anger'? it is an emotion. i am not saying that God is an emotion, but i am saying that i can feel him like i can feel love or hate.
    How do you know it is god? How do you know it is the Christian god? How do you know what an intangable creature feels like? I believe that there is life on other planets, but there is evidence for that (not UFO's, maybe not even inteligent aliens, but extra terestrial life of some kind). There is far more scientific, statistical and logical evidence for aliens than for god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Look, you cannot prove the existence or non-existence of God, and even if you could, you then have to prove all these properties exist within him.

Also, assuming God exists he will be 'Just' (hopefully) and non-believers who lead a good life will not be punished, and those who don't won't have eternal damnation was that is not justice (nothing can deserve eternal damnation) so its all good.

Irrational to believe either way, have your faith privatly rather than preaching on here. Thanks.
    I dont know if you are a Christian or not... but it is our duty to spread the word of God. So if you dont mind...ill preach online if i want(no offense)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    God will always be at your side, no matter what religion you believe in.
    Even Satanism?

ReputationRep:
    When I feel wind, I believe I feel impulses caused by air-pressure touching my nerves. When I feel love or hate I believe it is chemicals and hormones affecting my body. When you "feel" your god, you simply interpret similar conditions as coming from this metaphysical entity that you have constructed for yourself.

There is no difference, except that I have better evidence of my convictions. That is to say, I form rational conclusions from sensory perceptions.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if you are a Christian or not... but it is our duty to spread the word of God. So if you dont mind...ill preach online if i want(no offense)
    Surely preaching it and 'changing peoples minds' undermines the whole notion of belief.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know it is god? How do you know it is the Christian god? How do you know what an intangable creature feels like? I believe that there is life on other planets, but there is evidence for that (not UFO's, maybe not even inteligent aliens, but extra terestrial life of some kind). There is far more scientific, statistical and logical evidence for aliens than for god.

You cant prove any 'alien' ilfe form existing any more than i can prove that God exists. so could you leave that out of the conversation. Aliens are another matter, even if you can prove that they exist with your evidence, that is another story to God.

ReputationRep:
    I would expect that from someone like you.

You dont know what you are talking about... God created the world.
    I'll make this one the most basic anti-creationist theory I've heard.

Imagine a puddle in a hole in a road. It has been shaped by that hole to fit it perfectly. However from the puddles point of view it would view the hole as being created perfectly for it. Humans have been shaped by evolution to fit this world, it only seems perfectly created for us from our infinatly limited viewpoint.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.