This discussion is closed.
Powerline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Surely preaching it and 'changing peoples minds' undermines the whole notion of belief.

Yes, but how would people find out if no one tells them? if no one convinces them, they might not ever know or find out....
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
I dont know if you are a Christian or not... but it is our duty to spread the word of God. So if you dont mind...ill preach online if i want(no offense)
Do you like it when people of other religions and beliefs try to preach to you?

Or do you find it patronising and irritating?

If so why are you breaking the golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you - the commandment that supercedes all others?
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, but how would people find out if no one tells them? if no one convinces them, they might not ever know or find out....
But then why should we believe you rather than someone who denies the existence of your god?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think the idea is to lead by example...you're not setting a very good example by irritating and patronising people.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I'm probably agnostic at the moment.

How many people, while claiming not to believe in God, still believe in a kind of superstition of a higher power, even if not entirely consciously? To clarify, I mean situations like: utter atheists 'willing' their lottery balls to come out as if something could control them, or wishing for some other random event to happen. If there is no higher power, and a person is convinced of that, then they should accept their fate without complaint and not believe in 'luck' and such.
Good point, but that has nothing to do with faith. It has to do with not wanting to feel impotent.

Being agnostic seems to me to be like saying "I don't believe that god exists, but I hope he does in case the good stuff is true and he will give me life eternal and all that stuff." But I say that to much and would rather not make this a three way argument.
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by pal_sch)
I'll make this one the most basic anti-creationist theory I've heard.

Imagine a puddle in a hole in a road. It has been shaped by that hole to fit it perfectly. However from the puddles point of view it would view the hole as being created perfectly for it. Humans have been shaped by evolution to fit this world, it only seems perfectly created for us from our infinatly limited viewpoint.
heres one.

The sun is shining brightly outside. the rays pass through a window of a house, and many of the rays are split up. Different civilisations grow in each beam of light. they grow on their own cultures, and on their own beliefs. Each flake of dust represents a person in that culture. It only sees the way of its own ray of light, its own culture.But, it is only when one flake moves out of its ray, and into another when it realises that that culture has many good and reasonable viewpoints.

You see, you cannot claim the non-existence of God until you have tryed to believe yourself.
oldthrashbarg
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
heres one.

The sun is shining brightly outside. the rays pass through a window of a house, and many of the rays are split up. Different civilisations grow in each beam of light. they grow on their own cultures, and on their own beliefs. Each flake of dust represents a person in that culture. It only sees the way of its own ray of light, its own culture.But, it is only when one flake moves out of its ray, and into another when it realises that that culture has many good and reasonable viewpoints.

You see, you cannot claim the non-existence of God until you have tryed to believe yourself.
We do not claim the non-existence of your god, simply that there is no reason to believe in it.
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Do you like it when people of other religions and beliefs try to preach to you?

Or do you find it patronising and irritating?

If so why are you breaking the golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you - the commandment that supercedes all others?

As a matter of fact, i do not mind it when others preach to me. It is what God sent us all to do, to make non-believers believe.

i find it in no way irritating or patronising..

And another thing.... there is a joint greatest commandment..... 'do unto others as you would have done to you', as you just mentioned, and also, 'love God, with all your strength, all your will, all your power, and all your might.'
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yay for god!
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
We do not claim the non-existence of your god, simply that there is no reason to believe in it.
fair enough. But if you think that there is no reason to believe in God, surely you are saying that you dont believe that he exists?
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
yay for god!
More importantly - yay for Kurdt!
oldthrashbarg
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
fair enough. But if you think that there is no reason to believe in God, surely you are saying that you dont believe that he exists?
Yes, I don't believe that your god exists, but that is very different from saying that I believe he does not exist.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
More importantly - yay for Kurdt!
hey man how are you? working hard?
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hey man how are you? working hard?
haha, not at all if you check my comment! Was an absoultly great time
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
Yes, I don't believe that your god exists, but that is very different from saying that I believe he does not exist.
isnt that the same thing??? :confused:
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
would the individual who neg repped me care to leave a name - i would like to discuss why he/she felt so impassioned to do such a thing
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
haha, not at all if you check my comment! Was an absoultly great time
lol - sounds great man - lucky guy going down to CAmbs for a piss-up
Powerline
Rep:
?
would the individual who neg repped me care to leave a name - i would like to discuss why he/she felt so impassioned to do such a thing
i gave u a positive reputation. what did it say for the reason?
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol - sounds great man - lucky guy going down to CAmbs for a piss-up
I learnt something too, I promise!
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
I learnt something too, I promise!
can you please keep to the point of this thread?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads