Do You Believe in God? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Powerline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
no problems - i shall await the next two positive reps you have to offer - one to make up the neg - and one for the positive rep that was due
k...will do
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
Your the one that started this argument by saying that God didnt exist in the first place, what was i supposed to do, sit and just let you?
I simply said that I have no reason to believe in the existence of your god. I if you are somehow convinced it exists, then it is up to you to prove it. Otherwise the statement that your god exists is just as empty as saying that the entire world is a figment of my imagination.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
k...will do
cool
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
Can you answer me a few questions?

Do you believe the Omniscience of God and Free Will are compatible? If so, how so?

How do you account for moral and natural evil?

Does the pagan before Jesus etc came to Earth who led a good life still go to heaven?

Thanks.
Yes, the two are compatible. God gives you the free will to choose your own path. it is down to the individual to choose whether to go down the right path, or wrong path.

What do you mean by 'natural evil'?

yes. all who have died before his suffering and death, as well as the people after have the chance of going to heaven.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes, the two are compatible. God gives you the free will to choose your own path. it is down to the individual to choose whether to go down the right path, or wrong path.

What do you mean by 'natural evil'?

yes. all who have died before his suffering and death, as well as the people after have the chance of going to heaven.
By moral evil I mean - murder etc, by natural evil I mean pain/illness/earthquakes etc etc.

God gives us free will...but he knows all, so knows what we will choose so in any possible world with God then we could never make choice X if God knows we will make choice Y - surely that undermines free will?
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
I simply said that I have no reason to believe in the existence of your god. I if you are somehow convinced it exists, then it is up to you to prove it. Otherwise the statement that your god exists is just as empty as saying that the entire world is a figment of my imagination.
ok fine. you dont believe in God. and of the story.
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
By moral evil I mean - murder etc, by natural evil I mean pain/illness/earthquakes etc etc.

God gives us free will...but he knows all, so knows what we will choose so in any possible world with God then we could never make choice X if God knows we will make choice Y - surely that undermines free will?
No... he knows all, but gives us the power to change our paths at any time. God gives us conscience as a guide-it is up to us to follow it. he would know that you may make choice Y , but he also knows there is a possibility of you changing your decision, because of conscience or other reasons.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No... he knows all, but gives us the power to change our paths at any time. God gives us conscience as a guide-it is up to us to follow it. he would know that you may make choice Y , but he also knows there is a possibility of you changing your decision, because of conscience or other reasons.
but then he can't be omniscient
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
but then he can't be omniscient
I would say hes not, or partly omniscient
Powerline
Rep:
?
but the point is that he allows you to make your own decisions.
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am listening, but arguing is the best method to get my point accross. besides what is the point of posting "i dont know and i dont care"?
Get your point across but acknowledge the other view. Like mine. I reckon, god or not, I'm the master of my own destiny. I don't see the practical implications of his existence.
oldthrashbarg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ok fine. you dont believe in God. and of the story.
Yes

All christians eventually ends up with nothing to show for their so-called "faith" but an irrational conviction brought on them by other christians. You can convince each other as much as you want, but in the end religion is just a bunch of people talking to each other.

If you truly believed, you would be content with the knowledge of the existence of your god, but instead you try to convince others of its existence to avoid looking foolish youself. You have never known this god, and your faith is simply a way of avoiding having to face your life.
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
Yes

All christians eventually ends up with nothing to show for their so-called "faith" but an irrational conviction brought on them by other christians. You can convince each other as much as you want, but in the end religion is just a bunch of people talking to each other.

If you truly believed, you would be content with the knowledge of the existence of your god, but instead you try to convince others of its existence to avoid looking foolish youself. You have never known this god, and your faith is simply a way of avoiding having to face your life.

How can beleiving in something be a way of avoiding life? if anything, it makes life more difficult, which is one of the reasons people like YOU decide to not believe, to live an easier life.

Do you know how much you anger me. Your parents, your mum(it) your father (it) do not exist. That is what it feels like. :mad:
Powerline
Rep:
?
(Original post by XTinaA)
Get your point across but acknowledge the other view. Like mine. I reckon, god or not, I'm the master of my own destiny. I don't see the practical implications of his existence.
ok... ill try to see the other persons point of view, but its hard when they get you so ANGRY :mad: !(not you)
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry to offend, powerline, but your faith is groundless. prove it and ill accept your arguments, but if you arent able to, i would like to know why you believe it yourself
oldthrashbarg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How can beleiving in something be a way of avoiding life? if anything, it makes life more difficult, which is one of the reasons people like YOU decide to not believe, to live an easier life.

Do you know how much you anger me. Your parents, your mum(it) your father (it) do not exist. That is what it feels like. :mad:
It is avoiding facing your life, because ultimately you refuse to take responsibility for your actions, and because you delude yourself into thinking that your existence will not end with your death.

I realise that what I write must seem harsh to you, but that is exactly because of your delusions. You would not be angry if we were debating a rational theory, but because I challenge your irrational belief I challenge your view of the world, in a way that you could never challenge mine.

To you it feels as if I was doubting the fact of your parent's existence, but I could never challenge that because it is empirically verifiable. Surely this must tell you something.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what about the evil and suffering around the world?

how can a god omni-potent and the creator of this world allow such things to exist, furthermore create a world in which nature is deadly in the form of natural disasters?
Powerline
Rep:
?
theres no way i can prove to you how i know that God truly exists. Just read the Bible or sumthing, all this anger is not good for me.
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
theres no way i can prove to you how i know that God truly exists. Just read the Bible or sumthing, all this anger is not good for me.
no proof = untrue

im sorry, i cant accpet your belief to be anything more than misguidance. i will say no more unless you want to argue
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I suggest you read the bible, then compare to stories from Ancient Greece and Egypt. The whole Christian religion actually originates from Ancient Egypt.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (212)
12.76%
Excited (148)
8.9%
Worried (302)
18.17%
Terrified (374)
22.5%
Meh (151)
9.09%
Confused (36)
2.17%