Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    'A simple salt bridge can be made out of a strip of filter paper soaked in an aqueous solution of an ionic compound that does not react with either of the half cell solutions. Usually aqueous KNO3(aq) or NH4NO3(aq) is used'. But what's the purpose of soaking the filter paper in an ionic compound solution? Why can't it just be soaked in plain water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazmaniac97)
    'A simple salt bridge can be made out of a strip of filter paper soaked in an aqueous solution of an ionic compound that does not react with either of the half cell solutions. Usually aqueous KNO3(aq) or NH4NO3(aq) is used'. But what's the purpose of soaking the filter paper in an ionic compound solution? Why can't it just be soaked in plain water?
    I believe that the ions aid conduction of electricity...

EDIT: I could be wrong, I'm not too sure. But I think it is correct...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Booyah)

You are right man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Booyah)

Oh I see, so the water allows transfer of ions, but the ions allow transfer of electricity.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tazmaniac97)
    Oh I see, so the water allows transfer of ions, but the ions allow transfer of electricity.
    The ions flow both ways in the salt bridge to prevent charge building up in the two half cells which would prevent current flow.

Once even one electron is lost from an oxidation at the electrode the solution would then be positive.

This is prevented by the motion of a negative ion from the salt bridge ions in the direction of that half cell.

Simultaneously a positive ion goes the other way to compensate for a reduction at the other electrode ...

... and so on ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.