Has anyone ever tried homeopathy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does it work?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No and no it does not work

ReputationRep:
    No.

It has absolutely no scientific basis. In fact, it's basic tenets are at odds with the laws of physics and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    No, there is no evidence that they work and the concept itself goes against established science.

Please stick to proper modern medicine, for your own sake.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing what people will pay for plain ol' water.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    At best ineffective, and at worst dangerous (see the 'homeopathic malaria vaccine'... :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Yeah, I use it for anxiety. Works better than SSRIs in my opinion. *braces for flame war*
    Really? I suffer from anxiety.

Do you mind going into more detail please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Really? I suffer from anxiety.

Do you mind going into more detail please?
    Sure, I use Bach Flowers. I use White Chestnut myself, just drop it into my drink if I feel stressed. There are others though, and you can mix them. I like them because if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, it's not going to give me a ****load of effects like SSRIs. And I can take it when I feel stressed as opposed to an ongoing thing. And for me it seems to work. It's not a popular opinion, but different strokes for different folks

ReputationRep:
    I've also tried witchcraft.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let the homeopathy bashing get out of control! Its basically herbs coming from plants, just like how most drugs are developed. Just a different method of packaging

Now before you all start yelling at me - I have used it, and it helps Not to cure me of various ailments but to soothe :P - but this is because my family is from india (the poorer parts) and being that allopethic medicines were incredibly expensive/fake/virtually non-existant my family depended heavily on homeopathic remedies going back several generations.

A lot of the time yeah for some people they work, but other times they don't. My advice -> try it maybe once or twice (try to find a good seller and do some research to not get a dodgy seller) and see if it helps. If it does, awesome, get some more if you want. If it doesnt work -> then no worries. Stick to paracetamol/drugs.

General gist of it -> it has a low success rate. YES. But its not completely useless and can be helpful for those who react badly to the allopathic drugs with loads of side effects. (dont bash me pwease)

ReputationRep:
    Does it work?
    Thanks.
    No it doesn't work. Many homeopathic remedies are so dilute that they do not contain a single molecule of the alleged active substance. In other words, they are pure water. The only benefit is that you would be better hydrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalilsp)
    Don't let the homeopathy bashing get out of control! Its basically herbs coming from plants, just like how most drugs are developed. Just a different method of packaging

Now before you all start yelling at me - I have used it, and it helps Not to cure me of various ailments but to soothe :P - but this is because my family is from india (the poorer parts) and being that allopethic medicines were incredibly expensive/fake/virtually non-existant my family depended heavily on homeopathic remedies going back several generations.

A lot of the time yeah for some people they work, but other times they don't. My advice -> try it maybe once or twice (try to find a good seller and do some research to not get a dodgy seller) and see if it helps. If it does, awesome, get some more if you want. If it doesnt work -> then no worries. Stick to paracetamol/drugs.

General gist of it -> it has a low success rate. YES. But its not completely useless and can be helpful for those who react badly to the allopathic drugs with loads of side effects. (dont bash me pwease)
    lol

ReputationRep:
    No, and definitely not. Although it probably has a placebo effect on some people.

ReputationRep:
    Does it work?

Thanks.
    No, please don't risk your health by using this if you have any medical issues (though I hear it's quite effective against dehydration)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I drink water everyday.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dalilsp)

Except it's not 'just herbs', it's been diluted practically out of existence. You're lucky to have a single molecule of your original extract, yet supposedly the more diluted the remedy is the more effective, due to an effect which would require us to bin the laws of physics. I hope you can see why I'm sceptical.
    As a complementary remedy, it's largely harmless. However, when it causes people to delay or avoid seeking actual medical treatment, it is dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Sure, I use Bach Flowers. I use White Chestnut myself, just drop it into my drink if I feel stressed. There are others though, and you can mix them. I like them because if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, it's not going to give me a ****load of effects like SSRIs. And I can take it when I feel stressed as opposed to an ongoing thing. And for me it seems to work. It's not a popular opinion, but different strokes for different folks
    I wasn't under the impression that Bach's remedy etc in some water was homeopathy...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I wasn't under the impression that Bach's remedy etc in some water was homeopathy...?
    I was told it was classed as homeopathy, is this wrong? Was told this by someone who practices homeopathy and recommended it to me :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach_flower_remedies

Not exactly homoeopathy but pretty damn close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    Except it's not 'just herbs', it's been diluted practically out of existence. You're lucky to have a single molecule of your original extract, yet supposedly the more diluted the remedy is the more effective, due to an effect which would require us to bin the laws of physics. I hope you can see why I'm sceptical.
    As a complementary remedy, it's largely harmless. However, when it causes people to delay or avoid seeking actual medical treatment, it is dangerous.
    There are several different levels of dilusions. 12/30/60/200/3x are a couple I can remember. But why the negs? Never did I say that they were to be used as an alternative to modern medical treatment - which would be idiocracy - but it has been scientifically proven that the more often you take drugs/painkillers/etc, the more accustomed viruses become and soon these drugs can become redundant as the virus/bacteria mutate to become resistant.

You can see that an alternative to the simplest ailments may be needed that doesnt entirely depend on stronger painkillers.

But to help alleviate the least urgent (but bloody annoying) ailments that pretty much all of us have from time to time. Like the common cold, my head feels like crap at times when I'm ill, I take a few drops of "magic juice" water, and I feel just better enough to go to sleep.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.