Polo Shirts/T-Shirts for Men Watch

grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Peachy_Keen_Jennibean)
They're only the best fit if your body suits the style.

I'm not bitter that I can't afford to buy Ralph Lauren, because I probably could if I wanted to I just choose not to, I'd rather spend my money else where than waste it on a piece of cloth that isn't worth a third of it's price, for example on my holiday that I'm paying for for next year.

I've bought high quality t-shirts that last me a lifetime, they cost far less than ralph lauren, they're more interesting than ralph lauren and I can afford to get bored of them.

Also, notice how it's only the people who work with RL that are sticking up for RL.
erm, actually i don't work with ralph lauren, nor does supernova if you'd read what either of us had said. and we're all entitled to our own opinion about what a 'piece of cloth' is worth.

i note from a previous thread that you mentioned you'd bought some character tee-shirts from newlook...well i work at new look during my holidays and have done for the past four years, and to be honest new look teeshirts are the worst quality imaginable, their teeshirts are awkward shapes and the £8-£12 for which they retail is a serious rip off. even when they're reduced to £3 in the sales that's still far too much to pay for them, considering what bad quality they are and that it costs the company next to nothing to produce them. besides all that, their character tees are hideous. truly hideous (in my opinion, of course). so, you can pay £3 for (what many would consider to be) an ugly peice of crap that will last you a week, by all means, but you can't really tell other people that they're 'wasting' their money for investing in better quality designer clothes (and you cannot say that they aren't better quality; why do you think the brand has lasted so long?! they are reputed for being high quality. end of).

oh, and for the record, i don't own a ralph lauren polo (girls version ) because they don't suit the shape of my breasts/waist. :rolleyes:
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
wooooooooo ***** fight.

Peachy, trust you to be the sort :rolleyes:
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
wooooooooo ***** fight.

Peachy, trust you to be the sort :rolleyes:
lol, i'm not trying to have a ***** fight at all, it just annoys me when certain people get sarky over something about which they have no clue
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace)
lol, i'm not trying to have a ***** fight at all, it just annoys me when certain people get sarky over something about which they have no clue
Well, i'm going to give my opinion on RL They are, quite frankly, a huge rip. i.e. i bought a surprisingly good t-shirt from Marks & Spencers, for £15, approximately 6 years ago. And it's still going strong.

I'm simply not willing to pay £60 or so pounds for what effectively is, nothing particularly special about the design and a ****ing horse or whatever logo it is. That's criminal amount of money to pay. Are you just a logo fag, grace?
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, i'm going to give my opinion on RL They are, quite frankly, a huge rip. i.e. i bought a surprisingly good t-shirt from Marks & Spencers, for £15, approximately 6 years ago. And it's still going strong.

I'm simply not willing to pay £60 or so pounds for what effectively is, nothing particularly special about the design and a ****ing horse or whatever logo it is. That's criminal amount of money to pay. Are you just a logo fag, grace?
not at all, like i said i don't actually own a RL polo but my bf, brother and dad all do and my dad's had one for about 14 years so i think that's probably longer lasting than anything you own .

i like having designer peices because they last for a long time and don't go out of fashion, but i mix and match them with cheap stuff off the high street that will go out of fashion with the changing seasons and i know that you get exactly what you pay for. nothing 'logo faggish' about me, i don't actually think i own anything with an obvious logo, apart from maybe a hermes handbag onto which the logo is subtely embossed into the leather :cool:. oh and a ted baker belt, haha, see i have nothing against cheap stuff either! :p:
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace)
not at all, like i said i don't actually own a RL polo but my bf, brother and dad all do and my dad's had one for about 14 years so i think that's probably longer lasting than anything you own .

i like having designer peices because they last for a long time and don't go out of fashion, but i mix and match them with cheap stuff off the high street that will go out of fashion with the changing seasons and i know that you get exactly what you pay for. nothing 'logo faggish' about me, i don't actually think i own anything with an obvious logo, apart from maybe a hermes handbag onto which the logo is subtely embossed into the leather :cool:. oh and a ted baker belt, haha, see i have nothing against cheap stuff either! :p:
Fool others, but you can't fool me grace

On a serious note, i don't do all this 'following fashion' crap. I'm just not the type of person to be doing that. I just hope there are many women out there likewise because i'm seriously not compatible with a fashion-fag type person. Often, what is deemed 'in' fashion, looks ****ing ridiculous grace. That's fact. I think you folks following fashions so conscientiously, only do so, as you feel rather souless inside and have to buy designer logos et al thus to decorate oneself....

white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
I love Grace :suith:

Thanks for the rep, i frankly do not deserve it I'm guilty occasionally of being cheeky with my messages and language, it's never meant to offend. I just like to wind up every so often. Just to clarify :cool:
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fool others, but you can't fool me grace

On a serious note, i don't do all this 'following fashion' crap. I'm just not the type of person to be doing that. I just hope there are many women out there likewise because i'm seriously not compatible with a fashion-fag type person. Often, what is deemed 'in' fashion, looks ****ing ridiculous grace. That's fact. I think you folks following fashions so conscientiously, only do so, as you feel rather souless inside and have to buy designer logos et al thus to decorate oneself....

agreed. having worked in retail since i was 16 i definitely know how hideous a lot of 'fashionable' stuff is. i'm sure that people who completely overhaul their wardrobes every three months and fill it with the latest 'trendy' garb are 'souless'....just as well that's not me :p:. but there's nothing wrong with a person who has a classic dress sense, with a few expensive peices, purchasing a few cheap items to 'update' their look with the seasons. most of the best dressed people have that attitude to fashion, rather than trying to look like the weekly topshop mannequin.

and for a bit of advice whw, have you tried next? i know they're reputed as being a bit frumpy but they actually get some half decent mens stuff in occassionally...my bf loves next (when he's not being a 'logo fag') lol :suith::suith::suith:
M'Lady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Who said I only buy my t-shirts from new look? Unlike some people I do actually go into *shock horror* more than one shop! I own a total of one t-shirt from new look, the dangermouse one that I mentioned in the previous thread, I wear it for snowboarding.

I don't religiously follow fashion but nor do I spend considerable amounts of money on clothes, my most expensive item of clothing is my snowboarding/skiing jacket. I wear what I feel comfortable in that I consider to be reasonably priced.

Grace, so you're saying that people who waste their money on £55 t-shirts are the only people entitled to an opinion?
I've been told several times since I've visited this website that this particular forum is about opinions, not specifically positive or negative opinions, just opinions. All I've ever shared is MY opinion, but people get arsey when I don't say what they want me to say.

I don't see the point in paying £55 for what is esentially a piece of cloth that covers the upper half of your body, you obviously do, end of.
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love Grace :suith:

Thanks for the rep, i frankly do not deserve it I'm guilty occasionally of being cheeky with my messages and language, it's never meant to offend. I just like to wind up every so often. Just to clarify :cool:
i figured as much :cool: lol
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Who said I only buy my t-shirts from new look? Unlike some people I do actually go into *shock horror* more than one shop! I own a total of one t-shirt from new look, the dangermouse one that I mentioned in the previous thread.

So you're saying that people who waste their money on £55 t-shirts are the only people entitled to an opinion?
i never said you only shop at newlook, nor did i say only those who spend lots of money on their clothes are entitled to their opinion.

you are passing judgement on people who own one, maybe two RL shirts which is exactly the same as me expressing my opinion on your one (although you said you liked the spongebob one as well) new look teeshirt.

you have your opinion, i have mine. i think RL polos look hot on some guys, i think they're good quality and maybe a bit overpriced but not ridiculously so. i also think new look character tees look quite vulgar and KNOW them to be poor quality. just my opinion.
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace)
agreed. having worked in retail since i was 16 i definitely know how hideous a lot of 'fashionable' stuff is. i'm sure that people who completely overhaul their wardrobes every three months and fill it with the latest 'trendy' garb are 'souless'....just as well that's not me :p:. but there's nothing wrong with a person who has a classic dress sense, with a few expensive peices, purchasing a few cheap items to 'update' their look with the seasons. most of the best dressed people have that attitude to fashion, rather than trying to look like the weekly topshop mannequin.

and for a bit of advice whw, have you tried next? i know they're reputed as being a bit frumpy but they actually get some half decent mens stuff in occassionally...my bf loves next (when he's not being a 'logo fag') lol :suith::suith::suith:

Indeed I have tried 'Next' Grace. They served me well in the past, up to a point. Then they ****ed me over with some cool wrist things, an Internet service and their delivery...they eventually refunded me after a certain problem arose (that was 3 years ago now ). I think this is sufficient 'pay back time' and for me to make an appearance in one of their chain stores...
My general philosopy is as follows "Don't provide me with good service, then you can kiss my consumerism goodbye".
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sure people in expensive "cr*p" that looks the same don't look much better.
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
I'm sure people in expensive "cr*p" that looks the same don't look much better.
allegedly not.....

I think it's a lost cause myself peachy. I'm just not one of those people who pays heaps of money for a product. £60 just for one item is ALOT of money to be spending IMO. That's 'footballers wives' type expenditure. Besides, i'm going to get my ass around some charity shops, see what good stuff is out there. There may even be some £5 RL products being sold in the Oxfams of this world

I'll see what my visits around the towns charity shops bears fruit to.
Konstantine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by grace)
the quality isn't nearly as good, you'd have to buy a new one every year due to colour fading, stretching, shrinking etc whereas a RL will last you 10 years. you pay for the quality, not the monogram!
To be honest, I think it's a bit rank to be wandering round in a ten year old shirt, regardless of what brand it is. I'd much rather buy a new, less expensive top every now and then instead.

There's only so much the original quality of a shirt can account for. Ten years of sweat and ariel non-bio is going to take its toll and the top will die very dead indeed at some point.

In response to the original question, definitely try H&M. Their tops ARE good quality, but they're very cheap. And besides, at their prices, you can afford to change it more than once a decade :p:
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Konstantine)
To be honest, I think it's a bit rank to be wandering round in a ten year old shirt, regardless of what brand it is. I'd much rather buy a new, less expensive top every now and then instead.

There's only so much the original quality of a shirt can account for. Ten years of sweat and ariel non-bio is going to take its toll and the top will die very dead indeed at some point.

In response to the original question, definitely try H&M. Their tops ARE good quality, but they're very cheap. And besides, at their prices, you can afford to change it more than once a decade :p:
I'll buy some new products but i will have a look around charity shops...as i've never really done so before.
mbm1087
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah...I know you don't want a label, but if you can visit a Ralph Lauren outlet, the polos are not too overpriced. Plus, they look so hot. (I don't think the outlets have a website, but I would find out if there's one near you.)
LostRiot
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jeff's_dead)
I really like the fit of these shirts, but there is no way I would ever pay £55 for one. You can find similar ones elsewhere for a much better price, but admittedly the ones from places like H&M don't wash well and won't last very long at all. And yeah, the RL brand has certain connotations for me too... I'd feel a bit uncomfortable wearing one.

Here's a pic for anyone wondering what they look like...
Designer labels are so silly, polo shirts like that cost £5 in h&m, same buttons and everything. Ok not the same 'fit' but doesn't just buying a size smaller than you usually would have the same effect.

The most expensive polo shirt I have is an original penguin one that cost £40, still a rip off but at least it's a bit different to most cheaper ones, (although I'm sure you could get something almost exactly the same for £15).

Oh yeah, also, who the hell wears a polo shirt with the collar up?? that immediatley makes me think stuck up private school rugby playing twit .

I'm sure it's not just me who thinks that either.
grace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LostRiot)
Designer labels are so silly, polo shirts like that cost £5 in h&m, same buttons and everything. Ok not the same 'fit' but doesn't just buying a size smaller than you usually would have the same effect.

The most expensive polo shirt I have is an original penguin one that cost £40, still a rip off but at least it's a bit different to most cheaper ones, (although I'm sure you could get something almost exactly the same for £15).

Oh yeah, also, who the hell wears a polo shirt with the collar up?? that immediatley makes me think stuck up private school rugby playing twit .

I'm sure it's not just me who thinks that either.
my bf did go to private school and does play rugby, and is a little stuck up but not a twit. If you fit the bill, nothing wrong with dressing like it!
max_e_muscle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea whats wrong with going to private school and playing Rugby?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads