The Student Room Group

What has been the longest relationship you've had? How long was it for?

What has been the longest relationship you've had?

- With whom
- How did you meet that person
- How long has it been
- Were you serious about them

Let's start with me:

- My first boyfriend (I am still with him)
- I know this may sound like a typical teenage behavior but we just happened to walk down a street and his friend said "my friend likes you", at that point I had no idea I would love that guy so much as I do now
- 3 years, and I am currently 16
- I wasn't at all, I just wanted a boyfriend to be honest, but at 1 year I started loving him, and now look where we are

Share yours :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
- Like you, my longest relationship is with my very first boyfriend who I met when I was 17 and he was 16.

- I was repeating my AS year at college and he just suddenly turned up in my group of friends. Instantly caught my attention as we're really into the same things and got on immensely well (plus he's absolutely gorgeous), it was as if we'd been friends for years :smile: we actually got together only 3 weeks after meeting each other but it just felt so right.

- We're still together. It's been a year and a half now, I'm 19 and he's 18 next month. Can't wait to celebrate our 2 year anniversary in October! :biggrin:

- It is serious. We're fully committed to each other. He's the love of my life, my best friend, my everything. We'll be going through some difficult times come September due to us going to different universities but we'll get past it. We've talked about marriage and kids and both of us know that we want this. I'm so lucky to have him :')

And congrats to you OP for hitting 3 years! :biggrin:
Reply 2
My longest relationship is with my boyfriend now and he's my third boyfriend :smile:

We met playing badminton and I was rubbish and I kept on calling him because he was giving me hard shots

I've been with him 3 years and he was the first boyfriend I told my parents about so it felt different from the start :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
First girlfriend

At her work. She works at a bar and I was new to the area, lost, and she followed me round when I didn't have a clue where I was going (she was behind me and i couldn't see her and she was basically laughing at me) then I happened to quickly turn around and she managed to turn around as if she never noticed me. Then I sat down where she was working, and basically just chatted with me and we had a few drinks together. Nothing more than that. She said I looked identical to her friend and showed me a picture on fb, and I genuinely completely accidentally clicked 'add' on her profile. Next day chatted to her on facebook, planned to meet up. We did, things got more and more close and personal. She was all of a sudden my girlfriend and we travelled to the other side of the country for 4/5 days.

Due to difficult circumstance, we were only together for 1 month, but during that 1 month we saw each other the whole time. We would wake up together, spend all of the day together, sleep together and so on. Always in each others company. We are miles and miles apart now so it is kind of a long distance relationship but it just wasn't working due to the distance separating us so I broke up with her, but we both still have loads of feelings for each other and love each other to bits.

Yes I guess so, but you never know what you have until its gone. As soon as we were miles apart, then I suddenly realised I like her a lot more than I thought and same applies for her!
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
First girlfriend

At her work. She works at a bar and I was new to the area, lost, and she followed me round when I didn't have a clue where I was going (she was behind me and i couldn't see her and she was basically laughing at me) then I happened to quickly turn around and she managed to turn around as if she never noticed me. Then I sat down where she was working, and basically just chatted with me and we had a few drinks together. Nothing more than that. She said I looked identical to her friend and showed me a picture on fb, and I genuinely completely accidentally clicked 'add' on her profile. Next day chatted to her on facebook, planned to meet up. We did, things got more and more close and personal. She was all of a sudden my girlfriend and we travelled to the other side of the country for 4/5 days.

Due to difficult circumstance, we were only together for 1 month, but during that 1 month we saw each other the whole time. We would wake up together, spend all of the day together, sleep together and so on. Always in each others company. We are miles and miles apart now so it is kind of a long distance relationship but it just wasn't working due to the distance separating us so I broke up with her, but we both still have loads of feelings for each other and love each other to bits.

Yes I guess so, but you never know what you have until its gone. As soon as we were miles apart, then I suddenly realised I like her a lot more than I thought and same applies for her!

And that was your longest relationship?
Three years is my longest to date, ended up marrying them met her at a friends birthday party, sitting in the kitchen arguing theology with another friend for about an hour straight, while she just sat there..blankly staring into space and dipping strawberry's into the chocolate sauce.

Weather this was an subtle sexual gesture..I have never known, all I know is I bumped into her the following week at a University quiz night and she must have decided mind-numbing debates about religion were a turn on, because we hooked up that night and were an item a few days later.
My longest was 4 years, almost 5.
We met due to having mutual friends and met at a house party when I was 15 years old.
We broke up due to being more like friends who kissed occassionally rather than a serious relationship. I had also spent a year in university without him and it made us grow apart.

Looking back it probably was the best relationship I had been in, we never ever argued..

Hopefully I find another relationship like that and I'd be more grown up to not let go of it!
Reply 7

The longest relationship I've had was with my first girlfriend, Amy.

We met through a friend, she knew him and I knew him (obviously) and we just began talking over Facebook, our first conversation was over Facebook comments, and we literally hit it off from the beginning, I've never began to like someone so quickly as I did then, it was amazing.

I was with Amy for about 14 months in total

We were really serious about each other and the relationship. It was a great relationship for the first few months, but then she became paranoid, as I've always had a lot of female friends, and I wouldn't like to guess what she thought I was doing behind her back, as it was nothing at all. On the 14th month, I just had to end it, we had good times and could always talk about anything, but the paranoia (which really escalated, to the point in which she'd look through my conversation histories without my permission) was too much, and I ended it.

After that, she got with a guy about 2 weeks after I broke up with her, and she's been with him ever since, for about two years, and I regret my decision every day, but I don't think I should. I suppose, I'm still in love with her, as I think about her every day, treasure a particular present she gave me on our first valentines day and such, and knowing she got over me so quickly and got with another guy, well, that changed me. That's my story.

Reply 8
- With my first boyfriend, Ross :smile: He was 19 when we got together and I was 18.
- Well, we met through a friend at first who used to have us all over for drinks or to watch DVDs but we didn't actually get together till we kissed at a nightclub :P
- It's been a year and a half, we're still together now and he proposed to me in February :biggrin:
- Yeah, I know he's the man I want to be with for the rest of my life.
One month. With a delightful young lady. I am a very difficult man.
2 years with a guy I met at work. He moved in with me and eventually proposed to me in Rome. We grew apart and split up.
Reply 11
My only official `relationship`, we met aged 11 because we were in the same form and dated for 7 months when I was 16. We broke up because we were basically just friends who kissed and stuff, but we're still best friends. It's actually a bit weird to consider that we were actually romantic before, he's become like my brother :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest