The Student Room Group

Losing two stones in two months?

So yeah, title explains mostly what I'm about to say. How realistic is it to lose around two stones in two months? I want to start running or the Insanity dvd (which is supposed to be intense?) and I'm starting to eat more healthily, like not touch fast foods at all and try to stay under 1800 calories per day. What more can I do?

I'm 15, 5' 7" and around 12 and a half stone. Is it quicker to lose weight if your a little fat? aha

Help would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.
Reply 1
Generally it is a lot easier to lose weight when you first start, because some of it is water, so you're naturally losing it as you begin to exercise. Don't over-work yourself on this one, just try and go walking more, if you're not used to running, or haven't done it in a while, train yourself, start off with walking, then steadily increase when you think you're able.
Whilst actively trying to lose weight (without going extreme) people generally lose about 3/4lb's a week, which is a nice amount to aim for (personally I'd aim for free). As there are 14lb's in a stone, 8 weeks in two months (generally). So 3x8=24, which is just under 2 stone!
If you need any other advice, I aren't a professional, but I like to think I know a fair bit about losing weight and getting healthier, send me a message!
Original post by AlexJWise

Whilst actively trying to lose weight (without going extreme) people generally lose about 3/4lb's a week, which is a nice amount to aim for (personally I'd aim for free).

To lose 3-4lbs per week you would be going extreme. It is recommended to lose 1-2lbs per week and this is doable without going extreme.
The simple way to lose weight is more calories used than calories in. You typically lose 1lb with a 3500 calorie deficit. So cut back a bit, but don't starve yourself, and exercise a bit more.
Reply 3
Losing 2 lbs a week is healthy, I would recommend following slimming world. the best diet I have ever followed. It's amazing, on slimming world yes it is realistic. Good luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by SiddGrg_
So yeah, title explains mostly what I'm about to say. How realistic is it to lose around two stones in two months? I want to start running or the Insanity dvd (which is supposed to be intense?) and I'm starting to eat more healthily, like not touch fast foods at all and try to stay under 1800 calories per day. What more can I do?

I'm 15, 5' 7" and around 12 and a half stone. Is it quicker to lose weight if your a little fat? aha

Help would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.

You are going about it the wrong way.

You are fifteen for chrissakes. This is the worst time in your life to crash diet and restrict food. Your body is still growing and needs energy to do so. Losing 2 stone in two months would put way too much stress on your body. Do you want to limit how tall or broad you will be as an adult? You are a little heavy but it is puppy fat. Quit thinking about dropping all that weight in 8 weeks and start thinking about it as something you will grow out of as long as you start to make the right lifestyle choices i.e. eat a normal balanced diet and become active.

The best thing you can do is eat as normally as possible and find sports or active hobbies that you can become passionate about and stick with for the rest of your life.
1 stone is 14 pounds.
1 pound of fat is worth 3500 calories.

to lose 2 stone you need a deficit of 2*14*3500 = 98000 calories. That means to lose it in 8 weeks you need a calorie deficit of 98000/(7*8) = 1750 per day.

A tall order I think. It's possible but you'd have to live on water and mushrooms or something.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest