How much can you improve a grade Watch

Serenity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
How much can you improve a grade from AS at A level? For example, say you got a C in something at AS what is the most you could even possibly improve on it - would you be able to turn it into an A or a B? Also, would you have to get a high A on the A level exam to turn a C into a B etc.?
asadtamimi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can improve a lot , not speaking from personal experience but my friend got B,B,C,C at AS level and in the end he got A,A,A without repeating the year just retaking some modules - so as you can see, anyone can improve a lot with plenty of effort
kateykat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well I'm currently attempting to prove that you can improve grades by 2 places...hehe. I got ACD at AS level and by resitting a couple of modules in German in January I raised the grades to ACC. I'm retaking French tomorrow which should hopefully (fingers, toes and every other flexible body part firmly crossed!) raise my grades to about ABC and assuming the 3rd retake I took in German went ok then I may have even raised my grades to ABB.

To begin with it seems impossible, but I think that if you take one module at a time and work hard on each one then it can be done.
frazer_1
Report 12 years ago
well in theory, if you got the highest possible C grade, 209 out of 300 points at AS....you need 480 out of 600 to get to an A, so you would need to get 271 points out of 300 to get an A...which is like 90%. So if you got a C at AS i doubt you will get enough from A2 to push it to an A, but it is possible with resits to do it yes
benisright
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bit of a rubbish question

When you get your AS score its out of 300. So a C would be ... 180/300

To get an A at A2 you would need 480/600

Mathematically therefore you would need to improve 300 marks....i.e. get a perfect score on your three modules.

Of course, you could have got 209/300 and therefore it isnt that much more difficult to get an A.

And with resits...and i hope you have the brains to take resits if your asking this question....you can get anything.

My friend got AAAA at as level and needs something like BBC for his next modules to get AAA at A2
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It all depends on how you generally performed the in the first time you took the examination, if you left the examination feeling as though you answered all the questions to the best of your ability, and still came away with a dissapointing reuslt then perhaps it would be more difficult to expand your knowledge, although you could probally still improve your general examination technique. Whereas, if you left the examination room feeling as though you didnt perform to the best of your ability, then with alot of persistant revision throughout the year you could improve your general knowledge of the subject in question and improve your general result with regards to the "application" and "definition" aspects of your examination questions.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It would depend on high the C was and whether you did any resits. If you got 180/300, the lowest mark for a C, and didn't resit anything, you'd need full marks at A2 to get an overall A, which seems highly unlikely, or 240/300, the lowest mark for an A, to get an overall B, which although more doable still seems unlikely. Obviously if your C was higher and you do 1 or 2 resits, you have a much better chance of boosting your grade to a B or a C. I got a low to mid B (220/300) in AS history the first time, but after 2 resits I bumped it up to 266/300 (mid A). One of my friends went from an E to a C in AS French after 2 resits.
Purple
Report 12 years ago
If you resat modules you could go from EEE to AAA
godfather
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh but you would have to resit a lot of modules of you to go from EEE to AAA and you have to decide whether or not you could manage with all that extra work plus what new material you have to learn...
Troyes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a E in Maths at AS. Did the resits and got an A. I think you find AS level subjects much easier in the second year, because you will be experienced to EVEN more harder modules. For example, when you do C3 and C4 Maths C1 will look like a piece of cake compared to them whereas when you're doing C1 for the first time at AS it will seem like the hardest thing ever.
Will Ko
Report 12 years ago
Well when i did my AS's i asked the teacher if i could resit as i know i could have done better, and he showed me a table he produced for improvements, and 9 out of 10 improved.
Some got from E's to a U ,A to a U in the resit! An a U to an A. So it really depends on how well you prepare yourself, and of course the questions on the day with luck. Heck somebody got an A with 80 marks in a test and decided to resit and got Full marks 100, because A2 tests were harder and he could get more marks in the AS.:eek:
Ninja32
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Will Ko)
Well when i did my AS's i asked the teacher if i could resit as i know i could have done better, and he showed me a table he produced for improvements, and 9 out of 10 improved.
Some got from E's to a U ,A to a U in the resit! An a U to an A. So it really depends on how well you prepare yourself, and of course the questions on the day with luck. Heck somebody got an A with 80 marks in a test and decided to resit and got Full marks 100, because A2 tests were harder and he could get more marks in the AS.:eek:
at Xmas before A2 next yr, our business teacher tolds us he enters every1 for the resit - to resit the AS modules - 1 so that people can maybe pick up a few marks, 2 for the exam practice and 3 so that all the AS concepts are fresh in our head before we sit A2's....

fairly good idea if u ask me, but does cost a bit obv
Serenity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
What policy do most universities have on re-sits though? I've heard some don't accept your grades if you have resit them..
iceman_jondoe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah thats for things like medicine..although i hope a uni accepts me as i'll be retaking physics AS in my gap year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads