Hey everyone :smile:

I know this exam is the one where there are 6 options to choose from:

Tectonic activity and hazards

Cold environments: landscapes and change

Life on the margins: the food supply problem

The world of cultural diversity

Pollution and human health risk

Consuming the rural landscape: leisure and tourism

Everyone is going to be having to find numerous case studies, for whichever option you've chosen, so I thought we could share them here :smile:
I'm personally doing Option 1: Tectonic activity and hazards, so if anyone has case studies for that, please feel free to send them my way :P

But yeah, sharing might make all this just a little easier :smile:

Kat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im doing the world and cultural diversity
Reply 2
Post any case studies you have, it might help others :smile: I'm just finding all mine for tectonic hazards
Reply 3
I'm doing tectonic hazards :smile: It's a retake because i got a low D... My teacher is away though and I'm getting no help, do you know when the release date is?
Reply 4
The release date for the pre-release? It's friday next week I believe

Do you have any good case studies?
Reply 5
Okay thank you, I have no teacher at the moment so I'm going to have to write my report without any guidance... extremely stressed, especially with unit 3 as well

I haven't even started revising for this report, but when I took the paper in January I used Haiti earthquake, Boxing Day tsunami, Merapi and Hawaiian volcanoes as my case studies. They will probably depend a lot on the pre-release though
Reply 6
Well if I'm right about the pre-release being next friday, then we'll soon know :smile:

thanks

If you need any help, just let me know. Also, good text book if you haven't already got it:
edexcel unit 4 student guide
its brilliant, has EVERYTHING in it (the same book but unit 3 is also brilliant). Look on amazon :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah :smile: Thank you so much, I'll probably come back to this thread once we know the pre-release and maybe then we could share ideas or help each other to prepare the report together or something

Okay thanks, I will probably order it because it does look so good :smile:
Reply 8
That sounds brilliant :smile: if you'd rather add me on fb I'll pm you a link to my fb?

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend both those text books, they're by far better than any textbook I've ever used, everything is so easy to understand and laid out really well. And as my teacher is pretty crap, I've basically taught myself from those books.
Reply 9
Okay sure, I don't mind whichever way :smile:

Yeah, I've looked through the unit 3 one as my school library has it, and it's so helpful the few times I've used it. Haha same with me, it's barely worth even going to the lessons!
Reply 10
I'm doing cultural diversity! Feel free to message me if you're doing the same and want to discuss ideas.
Original post by kat_allen
Hey everyone :smile:

I know this exam is the one where there are 6 options to choose from:

Tectonic activity and hazards

Cold environments: landscapes and change

Life on the margins: the food supply problem

The world of cultural diversity

Pollution and human health risk

Consuming the rural landscape: leisure and tourism

Everyone is going to be having to find numerous case studies, for whichever option you've chosen, so I thought we could share them here :smile:
I'm personally doing Option 1: Tectonic activity and hazards, so if anyone has case studies for that, please feel free to send them my way :P

But yeah, sharing might make all this just a little easier :smile:

Kat

I have japan tsunami, Haiti earthquake, Sichuan earthquake, boxing day tsunami, Iceland volcano and then there's some others, PM me if you want more haha
And then I have Isle of Arran for dykes for intrusive and extrusive rocks
Reply 12
Original post by gemmatovey
I have japan tsunami, Haiti earthquake, Sichuan earthquake, boxing day tsunami, Iceland volcano and then there's some others, PM me if you want more haha
And then I have Isle of Arran for dykes for intrusive and extrusive rocks

Wow that would brilliant if I could borrow those case studies off you! I am terrible at case studies and I've been concentrating so much on content that my case study collection is empty!

I'll PM you :smile:
Original post by kat_allen
Wow that would brilliant if I could borrow those case studies off you! I am terrible at case studies and I've been concentrating so much on content that my case study collection is empty!

I'll PM you :smile:

Yeah of course! I don't have mass amount of detail but what I need is there and then I'm waiting for the pre-release to see if I need any more info :smile:
Okay! I won't be on my laptop until tomorrow after work (around 6) so I'll reply to the PM then :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by gemmatovey
Yeah of course! I don't have mass amount of detail but what I need is there and then I'm waiting for the pre-release to see if I need any more info :smile:
Okay! I won't be on my laptop until tomorrow after work (around 6) so I'll reply to the PM then :smile:

Brilliant thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 15
Is anyone doing Life on the Margins?
Reply 16
Original post by Morning95

Yup! Hows your research going? Im finding it difficult to focus the pre release.
Original post by Morning95
Original post by sachinshah
Yup! Hows your research going? Im finding it difficult to focus the pre release.

What case studies are you guys planning to use? I'm completely undecided. I'm struggling on the 'varying effectiveness' part..
Reply 18
Original post by sachinshah

I know exactly what you mean about the focus. Initially, I thought my framework would be based on scale (from local to national to international), because the pre-release material said to use a 'range' of initiatives. But, I'm unsure as to whether I should instead base my framework on effectiveness, so maybe use a range of examples, some of which have been effective and some of which haven't been particularly effective.

What case studies have you decided on so far? I'm planning on doing some detailed research soon.

Original post by chubbycharms
What case studies are you guys planning to use? I'm completely undecided. I'm struggling on the 'varying effectiveness' part..

Why is it you're struggling with the 'varying effectiveness' bit?

Of the top of my head, the case studies that I'm thinking of using are the EU CAP scheme, Fairtrade, GM crops etc.? What case studies have you decided on so far?
OPTION 2: Cold Environments Landscapes and Change

•Explore the range and nature of geomorphological processes operating in glacial environments.

•Research a range of distinctive glacial landforms found in contrasting glacial environments.

Is anyone doing this? It seems rather simple... perhaps too simple.

Quick Reply