The Student Room Group

Plane of reflection.

Hi,

I need to solve the following:

Mr=r and Nr=r where r is the column matrix x,y,z. To find the axis of rotation and plane of reflection respectively. M is a rotation matrix given by:

M=132313132323231323\begin{vmatrix} \frac{-1}{3} & \frac{-2}{3} &\frac{-1}{3} \\ \frac{1}{3} & \frac{-2}{3} & \frac{-2}{3} \\ \frac{2}{3} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{-2}{3} \end{vmatrix}

and N is a reflection matrix given by:

132323231323232313\begin{vmatrix} \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} &\frac{-2}{3} \\ \frac{2}{3} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} \\ \frac{-2}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & \frac{1}{3} \end{vmatrix}.

I have made a thread on this previously where I did work out the answer to the axis of rotation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2318209&page=3&p=42224810#post42224810

However when I apply a similar method to find the plane of reflection I end up with the matrix:

111000000\begin{vmatrix} 1 & -1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{vmatrix}. Which I'm not too sure how to interpret. I then tried to solve it using eigenvectors, but I think I'm doing something wrong as my answer doesn't come out to be the same as what I got for the axis of rotation in the previous thread which is x=-y=z.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by Music99

Your first matrix isn't M, but rather M-I, which is what you needed at the time.

Assuming you've gone from N to N-I and solved correctly, you're looking for the equation of a plane this time - it won't be the same answer as before, or even the same format.

What happens when you translate that matrix you've created (setting it = 0) into a cartesian equation?

Done!
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Your first matrix isn't M, but rather M-I, which is what you needed at the time.

Assuming you've gone from N to N-I and solved correctly, you're looking for the equation of a plane this time - it won't be the same answer as before, or even the same format.

What happens when you translate that matrix you've created (setting it = 0) into a cartesian equation?

Done!

Yeah I did minus I from it, I was just writing what M and N were before subtracting I. So once I subtract the Identity matrix from N, and did the Gauss Jordan elimination I ended up with the 1 -1 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

Which If translated into the equation of a plane is x=-y=z which is the same as the axis of rotation?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Music99

Which If translated into the equation of a plane is x=-y=z which is the same as the axis of rotation?

Er, no.

What's

1-1 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

times (x,y,z)^T
Reply 4
Er, no.

What's

1-1 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

times (x,y,z)^T

well if by the T you mean the transpose, then the transpose of that above is

1 0 0
-1 0 0
1 0 0
Original post by Music99
well if by the T you mean the transpose, then the transpose of that above is

1 0 0
-1 0 0
1 0 0

T is transpose.

I means multiply the two matrices together.
Reply 6
T is transpose.

I means multiply the two matrices together.

Ah okay so when I do the transpose first and multiply it by the matrix I get

1 -1 1
-1 1 -1
1 -1 1

and if I do the matrix first and multiply by the transpose I get

3 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

So I'm assuming it's the top one that I want. So then we get:

x=-y=z
-x=y=-z
x=-y=z
Original post by Music99
Ah okay so when I do the transpose first and multiply it by the matrix I get

1 -1 1
-1 1 -1
1 -1 1

and if I do the matrix first and multiply by the transpose I get

3 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

So I'm assuming it's the top one that I want. So then we get:

x=-y=z
-x=y=-z
x=-y=z

It's neither. You really do need to look at basic matrix arithmetic.

1-1 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

times (x,y,z)^T

x-y+z for the first co-ordinate, and the other two being 0, and that is equal to 0 from what would be the zero vector on the right of the Ax=0 equation.

So, the equation of your plane is x-y+z=0
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8

1-1 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

times (x,y,z)^T

x-y+z for the first co-ordinate, and the other two being 0, and that is equal to 0 from what would be the zero vector on the right of the Ax=0 equation.

Ah I didn't realise it was the x,z,y matrix, misread what you put. I do get that when I multiply out the matrices though. Thank you.
Reply 9

1-1 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

times (x,y,z)^T

It's weird how the axis of rotation and plane of reflection come out as the same equation more or less :tongue:.
Original post by Music99
It's weird how the axis of rotation and plane of reflection come out as the same equation more or less :tongue:.

Consider, what's a normal to the plane of reflection?
Reply 11
Consider, what's a normal to the plane of reflection?

The origin would work no?
Original post by Music99
The origin would work no?

No.

I think you're missing too much background information, and really need to look up work on the plane in cartesian and vector form.
Reply 13
No.

I think you're missing too much background information, and really need to look up work on the plane in cartesian and vector form.

That's the thing, like If im given a question involving a plane in cartesian form or I'm asked to find the normal of the plane I can do it fine. But when it's in matrix form I get all confused.
Original post by Music99
That's the thing, like If im given a question involving a plane in cartesian form or I'm asked to find the normal of the plane I can do it fine. But when it's in matrix form I get all confused.

Erm, well, x-y+z=0 is in cartesian form.
Reply 15
Erm, well, x-y+z=0 is in cartesian form.

so 1,-1,1
Original post by Music99
so 1,-1,1

Yep.

Quick Reply

Latest