Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Both the unis I want to go to (Durham and Birmingham) have given me the same offers (AAB) which is a bit of a bummer. I know Birmingham can be very accommodating if you miss your offer, but I was wondering, would there be any point in putting Durham as my firm and Bham as my insurance? Do you reckon Bham would still consider me if i missed my offer, or does that only apply if they are your firm?

Sorry if that's confusing!

Kate

ReputationRep:
    it works for some people doesnt it?!...i suppose its just ya luck on the day!!! i guess one solution is work hard and get the grades haha nah but if any of the other offers u hold dont appeal to you then yeah id say go for it?! ya head can always do some real sweet talk and see what happens?! if ya aint gonna be happy at your other offers then there's no point in acceptin and then dropping out if ya get me drift?! what course have ya applied for...i suppose ya also need to take into account the demand for the course as well. say if they over accomadated ie gave offers to more people, as they do, but had more people accepting their uni and obtainin the grades, than expected then the chances of u getting in is less?! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyboo)
    it works for some people doesnt it?!...i suppose its just ya luck on the day!!! i guess one solution is work hard and get the grades haha nah but if any of the other offers u hold dont appeal to you then yeah id say go for it?! ya head can always do some real sweet talk and see what happens?! if ya aint gonna be happy at your other offers then there's no point in acceptin and then dropping out if ya get me drift?! what course have ya applied for...i suppose ya also need to take into account the demand for the course as well. say if they over accomadated ie gave offers to more people, as they do, but had more people accepting their uni and obtainin the grades, than expected then the chances of u getting in is less?! x
    English, which is soooo oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    English, which is soooo oversubscribed.
    i thought it might be that. yeah esp for birmingham! we went there a couple of years ago for an open day and hasnt b'ham got like one of the best eng departments in the country?! where else have u had offers from!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Average *Intake* A levels for 2001 entry for English

Durham: 27.9
    Birmingham: 24.4

So you'd have far more chance of getting into Birmingham with a few dropped grades than Durham - they'd make a good insurance. They took in 2001 as many students with BBC as they did students with ABB (or as many with BCC as with AAB).

The trick is if you miss a grade is to get Durham to decide either way quickly - if it takes Durham over a week to decide if they will take you with ABB and then they decide no Birmingham might have filled up all their places with ABB students from clearing. If Durham make up their mind quickly then you have a much greater chance of getting into Birmingham - they'd rather take someone who chose them as their insurance (ie demonstrated a definite preference) than someone who hasn't even considered them until clearing.
    Thanks. The only thing is Bham doesn't go in for clearing for English, they're soo oversubscribed. Hmm, decisions decisions...

Babyboo - I also applied for York, Nottingham, Southampton and Warwick, and was accepted by Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. The only thing is Bham doesn't go in for clearing for English, they're soo oversubscribed. Hmm, decisions decisions...

Babyboo - I also applied for York, Nottingham, Southampton and Warwick, and was accepted by Southampton.
    ah i see1whats ya offer at southampton.... i think u should go for it n accept manc then birm!!!! what are ur predicted grades....gawd im being dead nosey as usual sorry!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyboo)
    ah i see1whats ya offer at southampton.... i think u should go for it n accept manc then birm!!!! what are ur predicted grades....gawd im being dead nosey as usual sorry!x
    Southampton - 370 points, I think- the equivalent of ABB anyway. I didn't apply to Manchester... :confused:
    I'm predicted AAAA.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks PQ, sound advice

ReputationRep:
    Southampton - 370 points, I think- the equivalent of ABB anyway. I didn't apply to Manchester... :confused:
    I'm predicted AAAA.
    haha sorry mean durham!!! ya know what i meant, half asleep.... :rolleyes: well then looks like u have no reason to worry im sure u will get the grades if ya keep up the work! x

ReputationRep:
    i have the same problem but posted in another thread :s

ReputationRep:
    i'm in same position for Bath and Warwick, for management. they're both asking for AAB. is it worth putting warwick as 1st and bath as insurance? because bath said they may still consider if u miss grades, whereas warwick said they wouldn't. but i'm worried cos bath has already lowered their offer for me.....dunno whether they'd still want me if i dropped another grade. if not, nottingham will be my insurance at ABB

ReputationRep:
    I was quite decisive in making my firm and insurance luckily.

ReputationRep:
    Both the unis I want to go to (Durham and Birmingham) have given me the same offers (AAB) which is a bit of a bummer. I know Birmingham can be very accommodating if you miss your offer, but I was wondering, would there be any point in putting Durham as my firm and Bham as my insurance? Do you reckon Bham would still consider me if i missed my offer, or does that only apply if they are your firm?

Sorry if that's confusing!

Kate
    It only applies if they are your firm. Its to reward your initial commitment to them

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.