The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 History

Desperately need help in this. My part a is about Assessing the short term impacts Gustav Stresemann made on Germany's role in Europe.
Not sure where i should start, any pointers in what I should include?
Reply 1
I'm no history expert, but other than him getting Germany into the League of Nations, introducing the rentenmark and signing the locarno pact I think he did a great job. I'm a bit rusty on my History sorry.

My username is half named after him (the double n) because I was fascinated by what he did whilst learning about him in History.

Also cause the username "Dylan" was taken but you know
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
I'm no history expert, but other than him getting Germany into the League of Nations, introducing the rentenmark and signing the locarno pact I think he did a great job. I'm a bit rusty on my History sorry.

My username is half named after him (the double n) because I was fascinated by what he did whilst learning about him in History.

Also cause the username "Dylan" was taken but you know

Yeah I was fascinated by him to, which is why I chose him as the individual leader. It's alright, but thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Heres a paragraph from my part a CW about the treaty of Versailles, focussing on Stresemann, ignore the references to the sources;

Although Sources B, C and E reflect the economic grievances caused by the aftermath of the Treaty of Versailles, they exclude the importance of the economic recovery which was a very significant result. This is portrayed by Source F which documents the achievements of Stresemann during the 1923 economic recovery. ‘Because of his leadership Germany is now prospering and has an important place in the affairs of Europe’. This may allude to the period of reapproachment with the West as the passive resistance in the Ruhr was ended due to Stresemann’s negotiation rather than confrontation with the Allies. However, Source G gives a conflicting view and suggests that ‘Stresemann was no genius… What made the difference were the Dawes Plan, and the economic prosperity that U.S. money created.’ This Dawes plan did lead to reduced reparation payments and a loan from the US government which allowed for heavy investment in the German infrastructure. Linked to this agreement was the introduction of the new Reich bank and the replacement of the old German Mark with the Rentenmark. Therefore, it can be argued that ‘The Dawes Committee’ rather than Stresemann was responsible for Germany’s economic recovery as exclaimed in Source G. However, as shown in Source F his contribution did lead to the easing of tension between the allies which may have ultimately fuelled the Dawes plan and somewhat contradicts Source G. Although Source F was written by the Times after Stresemann’s death so is more likely to praise his efforts out of respect, whereas Source G is by a modern historian who is more likely to have considered all the events at the time, making it more reliable.

I found this website http://www.schoolshistory.org.uk/ASLevel_History/successofgermanrecovery.htm very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending