Choosing the right contraception Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm a girl and I'm going to be 18 next month and well... *blushes* (Thank God this is anonymous) I was hoping to finally lose my virginity next month and well... other than the pill, I was wondering what contraception you recommend.

There's so many types of condoms out there. What do you choose? Feel so embarrassed buying them in local boots. What if somebody you know sees you, lol? Like a teacher or your gran? :rolleyes: :p:
Lib
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a girl and I'm going to be 18 next month and well... *blushes* (Thank God this is anonymous) I was hoping to finally lose my virginity next month and well... other than the pill, I was wondering what contraception you recommend.

There's so many types of condoms out there. What do you choose? Feel so embarrassed buying them in local boots. What if somebody you know sees you, lol? Like a teacher or your gran? :rolleyes: :p:
You can get them free from a doctors or family planning clinic, so that saves you the expense of buying them and hopefully your gran wouldn't be at a family planning clinic!! FPCs will often give you a selection of different types of condoms too.

Other choices along the line of the pill are: implant, injection, ring, patch, IUD, mini Pill, diaphagm. You can look them up on the NHS website or any other family planning type site to get an idea what might work for you, and then go to your doctor to discuss it.

Also, sex and contraception are nothing to blush about.
miss_buttercup
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it really depends on who you are and what type of life you lead as to which contraception would be best. There are loads of forms of hormonal contraception such as the pill, the injection, the implant and theres even patches avaliable now and they are all free on prescription. The pill the most popular because its very easy to use, discreet and has added benefits of lighten periods etc. downsides would be side effects such as weight gain and also it doesnt protect against STIs so if you were sleeping with different partners it would be a good idea to use a condom as well/in place of the pill. I would probably suggest you visit your GP or family planning clinic so they can help and advise you about which contraception would suit you best. Dont be worried about buying condoms, at the end of the day sex is a natural normal thing and i think most people would rather you were sensible and bought condoms/used contraception than contracting an STI or becoming pregnant. xxx
hallucination
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In terms of condoms, guys usually have a preference. Some who are well endowed have to get a certain size of condom...same for those who are, erm, less fortunate! Then there are different types i.e. ribbed, flavoured etc. If you don't know what to get Durex Extra Safe is a popular brand.
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you in a long term relationship? If so, I'd recommend a longer term contraceptive. I've got the implant and found it fab, no periods! But I'd try the pill first, just to make sure hormonal contraception agrees with you

If you are not in a long term relationship (ie: aren't sure the bloke is clean, even if he says he is!) always make sure you use condoms!
wendizzle22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Durex Extra Safe? I didn't think they were popular with guys seeing as they are so thick.
Anyway, I agree with the advice on going to a family planning clinic. They will tell you about the options objectively, and can answer any other questions you have at the same time. Some can do STI tests, which would be extremely helpful if your boyfriend has had sex before and you were thinking of using a non-barrier method.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.51%
No - but I will (74)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (462)
47.88%

Watched Threads