GRRRR pedestrians >< Watch

Caribou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
so i'm reversing out of a dead end section out of a car park because theres no space to turn around, swing to the left at the end of it to turn around and head out of the car park, as i'm turning this pedestrian comes from nowhere round the back of my CLEARLY reversing car.. so i jam on the breaks.. less than a meter between her and the back of my car. She starts screaming "what the ****" etc.. i just put it into first, finish my turn and drive out of the carpark with her just standing there starign at my car.

Was I in the wrong to drive off even though my car didnt even touch her?
Can she maKe some kind of official complaint if she remembered my registration?

Where do i stand?

Hmmm.. or am i just being paranoid?
mbm1087
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry...I don't think she'd call or anything. I mean, as long as you were being careful, looking behind you where the car was going, and driving slowly, then I don't think you could do much else. Just be careful near the pedestrians, though- even if you do everything right and they do everything wrong, an accident with one would be a disaster, as they don't have a car or anything to protect them!
asar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The same thing happened to me twice the same day on a shopping mall, I had the brilliant idea of parking right next to the door and people believe you'll just have some kind of extrasensorial capability to detect them. They walked really really close to my car and didn't let me know I was getting close to them. I had to jam my brake pedal twice.
Navajo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When your driving just think "everyone is stupid and are going to do something stupid" and anticipate the stupidness.

That's a seriously good tip if your learning to drive.
-- Dan --
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Navajo)
When your driving just think "everyone is stupid and are going to do something stupid" and anticipate the stupidness.

That's a seriously good tip if your learning to drive.
Yeah, spot on. When you start to learn to drive you realise just how many people out there are actually really bad drivers.

I had a close call once, not with a pedestrian but just a stupid driver. I was sat waiting at a roundabout, a car came round and indicated well in advance to turn down the road i was coming out of. I saw him and set off cos there would have been a gap after he turned. He didn't turn, slammed on his breaks and missed me by a whisker, and then went round the roundabout again and back where he'd come from!
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by -- Dan --)
When you start to learn to drive you realise just how many people out there are actually really bad drivers.
You don't even have to learn to drive to know the amount of pathetic drivers they are as in my case.
siwi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, I wish pedestrians and especially cyclists! would realise that they have a responsability for safety as well, not just those of us who actually have to be qualified to be out there on our own...although there are just as many morons in cars as well
*soph*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cjmcnair)
the worst are old ppl and mums with kids grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I suppose old people have valid reason if they can't see or hear properly but mums with kids... the day after I passed, there was a woman with a child who was pushing a doll's buggy along waiting to cross the road. She let the child run into the middle of the road with the buggy and waited on the pavement! That was only the 3rd time I'd been out alone and really shook me up.
mbm1087
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by siwi)
Yeh, I wish pedestrians and especially cyclists! would realise that they have a responsability for safety as well, not just those of us who actually have to be qualified to be out there on our own...although there are just as many morons in cars as well
Agreed! I hate it when cyclists think that they're cars. I always come home from school on this really narrow bridge, and there's a sidewalk, but the cyclists never seem to use it. It makes me so mad...rrrrr.... I hate driving 5mph behind them until I can pass them!
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In the UK it is illegal to ride on the pavement unless markings suggest otherwise, so in the UK that would be expected and we would have to put up with it.
mbm1087
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Really? That's annoying. I just hate having to drive really slowly behind them, though passing them makes me quite nervous as well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed