why are french young people thinner than english/irish? Watch

saoirse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
ok so dont flame me for making a sweeping statement :p: but it seems like all the french students swarming round my town-and spanish too come to that- are REALLY slim! i dont mean unhealthily so though

When ive been to france, stayin with different families, and my friends have done the same and agree, i dont remember their diets being fantastically healthy, just pretty normal, and chocolatey things for breakfast were normal- talk about refined suger!!!

Plus its the done thing to eat dinner later on the continent, which is meant to be bad for weightgain?:confused:

Is it just that we tend to eat bigger portions here??
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, French people are thinner. They tend not to snack as much and they eat real food as opposed to processed crap. Plus I think it has a lot to do with their genes.
Makky_Legend
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They smoke like chimneys...
global_warning
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lots of balance in the diet- fresh fruit, vegetables, maybe more sit down meals of quality food than snacks on the run.
boop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've lived in France and worked in a French school and I can assure you that there are plenty of obese children in France. I think the main difference though that probably makes those that are slim more slim than over here is the fact that at lunch time they take their time and almost everyone goes for either a proper meal. So they have two full meals a day properly spaced out, but with no real snacks in between.

I've just come back from work experience in a big French business, and adults would much prefer a cigarette and an expresso, whilst I would have much preferred a cup of tea and a stack of biscuits! It's a culture thing mainly.

Oh and finally, French supermarkets are rubbish for snack foods. Fancy a packet of crisps? Choose from bolognaise flavour or plain. The snack food is really unimaginative, so whilst we would have crisps and chocolate, they tend to go for nuts which are naturally good for you (I for one can eat far more crisps than I can nuts) or something like melba toasts.

I know that when I lived over there, I craved cheese and onion crisps, bacon, sausages, cheddar, white bread .... Naturally, I'm 9 1/2 stone and 5'8". In France, I always end up losing between half a stone and a stone in weight!
mypaperheart
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by boop)
they tend to go for nuts which are naturally good for you
I thought nuts were really fattening?:confused:
Doodahdoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nuts are FULL of protein, yes they have fats, but good fats.

The French (as a general) eat much healthier - as in they have a much more balanced attitude to food. They don't worry about calories/fats/weight as much, they don''t snack - crisps are in big packets, rather than individual packets. They don't snack as much, but meals&snacks are meant to be enjoyed.

They tend to enjoy their food a lot more.

x x
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with what others have said. I don't think it's necessarily genetic but I can tell you what I've observed in my boyfriend's family (they're French).

a) They eat very little processed food. It's basically all-natural stuff.

b) They have very regular mealtimes. Three meals a day, plus gouter time at 4pm where they'll have something to drink (either coffee or fruit juice) and a little cake or biscuits.

c) They take their time when they eat. There's no rush. They have a very relaxed and unworried attitude towards food too, and I'm sure this helps.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Also, the older men (dads, uncles, brothers-in-law) are much more vocal in calling women fat etc.
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Also, the older men (dads, uncles, brothers-in-law) are much more vocal in calling women fat etc.
good for them. I think there is a definite attitude of denial about weight here. "oh i'm just big boned" etc..

people in the UK seem less willing to accept their shortcomings and are therefore less likely to do anything about it. - even willing to blame other people for their own problems.

And think about the number of fat people who know that they're fat.. but do **** all about it. "oh i should really go to the gym", " i should really diet". Not many say "RIGHT. time to take control of MY life, i'm going to "TRY" to diet, i'm GOING to diet, i'm not going to "TRY" to do more excercise, I'm GOING to exercise.

ramble ramble ramble
Marie05
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by saoirse)
ok so dont flame me for making a sweeping statement :p: but it seems like all the french students swarming round my town-and spanish too come to that- are REALLY slim! i dont mean unhealthily so though

When ive been to france, stayin with different families, and my friends have done the same and agree, i dont remember their diets being fantastically healthy, just pretty normal, and chocolatey things for breakfast were normal- talk about refined suger!!!

Plus its the done thing to eat dinner later on the continent, which is meant to be bad for weightgain?:confused:

Is it just that we tend to eat bigger portions here??

there's a book written about why french women are thinner than the british! Sorry i cant remmeber the title, but the author came on Richard&Judy! :rolleyes:

She said that french women probably eat as much as us, but they do much more exercise. One of the key points she makes is that they have a slower pace of life and engage more in activities like walking and cycling as means of transport. Also they spend more time cooking/eating and enjoy their food more apparently!
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Makky_Legend)
They smoke like chimneys...
thats all good though

but yeah europeans tend to eat better than we do
G.A.K
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When I went to Paris last month, I noticed many different things about their way of life. Firstly, the French appear to really enjoy their food. I notice in my college people skip lunch etc, so that when they do eat, their body is not as used to digesting it yadaya. In Paris, you see many people walking around eating baguettes/food (which is generally much more healthy). I mean you don't see fish & chip shops:rolleyes: & they, in general eat when they should, and respect their bodies. If they are hungry, they eat, and so do not fill up on junk. Additionally, I noticed they had really lovely restaurants. One I went into was Paradis Du Fruit, and basically everything was fresh and vegetables/Fruit and then lovely meat. No processed rubbish! They seem to take pride in their food, not to say there aren't junk food places, even McDonalds was on the Champs D'Elysees (gah!).

Fair enough, they enjoy their pastries and cakes, but because their main meals seem to be a lot healthier then it seems feasible that they can eat these sorts of things. Though, I noticed that the French in general, smoke far too much! Yuk.

Another thing I noticed were policemen on skates/more people on bikes etc. This just shows how much more active they are, in comparison to the English!
crema
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
they drink less alcohol. compared to average french the amount british people down in bars and pubs seems pretty huge. not to say that french can't party hard if they want to, they just seem to do it less often.
ChanandlerBong
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I made a thread about this recently. I don't think it's genetic, it's just that French people have a much healthier attitude to food. However, it is becoming more 'Americanised' like the US and the UK with microwave meals over freshly prepared meals, etc...
ChanandlerBong
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by crema)
they drink less alcohol. compared to average french the amount british people down in bars and pubs seems pretty huge. not to say that french can't party hard if they want to, they just seem to do it less often.
Traditionally, they drink red wine in moderation (i.e. one glass per night) which is in fact beneficial to the heart according to many studies, whereas getting bladdered and crawling home on a Friday night has the adverse affect of course.
ladygrey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I had a french exchange student... she was really thin but not muscular at all. She ate very small portions.
S-J
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm living in Paris at the moment. I think that generally the people go out for a big meal at lunch and then work of the fat at work after lunch. In the UK we can't do that, as we don't get 2 hrs off for lunch, so we have a big meal when we get home and just sit down after it.

I also believe it's a genes thing, because I see so many people eating really fattening food here. Lots of cakes, crepes etc. and baguettes filled with cheese and meat are very fattening. And very fattening things for breakfast are avaliable and eaten by the French. So I think that there are definitely very fattening foods avaliable.

I think the main thing that makes us brits fatter is our culture (the times of the day we eat) and foods such as fish 'n' chips. But I think that generally we eat healthly and it shouldn't be the case that we are fatter, but it's just the way we are made. Also the French eat very regularly... I know that I tend to starve myself all day and then eat quite a bit at night (and then sit down all evening).

Takeaway food is definitely as avaliable here... lots of McDonalds, Quick etc. but they are very expensive. These sorts of foods including fish 'n' chips are really cheap in the UK, so it's easy for a parent to send a kid out to get a bag of chips if they're feeling a bit poor. Whereas here it's a baguette... definitely less fattening.

I think in schools UK meals tend to me quite fattening, French school meals are pretty healthy.

As someone else said, the fact that they all smoke is a big factor. When my mum smoked she was really really thin and now she's not exactly fat, but quite a lot bigger than she was, so food has replaced her smoking habits in a lot of ways. It's probably better to be slightly overweight than smoke your whole life.

I have also seen lots and lots of fat French people, so don't worry too much!

Also I've put on quite a bit of weight since I've been in France! Too much bread, cheese and meats!
S-J
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Also perhaps it's the fact that they work less hours and have more holidays, so are less stressed and don't turn to comfort eating like a lot of Brits...?
S-J
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Gamma)
Traditionally, they drink red wine in moderation (i.e. one glass per night) which is in fact beneficial to the heart according to many studies, whereas getting bladdered and crawling home on a Friday night has the adverse affect of course.
One glass a night hehehe. Not the French I've met.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (468)
38.08%
No - but I will (95)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.11%

Watched Threads