why are french young people thinner than english/irish? Watch

Sanja
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Marie05)
there's a book written about why french women are thinner than the british! Sorry i cant remmeber the title, but the author came on Richard&Judy! :rolleyes:

She said that french women probably eat as much as us, but they do much more exercise. One of the key points she makes is that they have a slower pace of life and engage more in activities like walking and cycling as means of transport. Also they spend more time cooking/eating and enjoy their food more apparently!
hey, I was their aupair last year! "Two lipsticks and a lover" by Helena Firth-Powell

when I lived with them we ate lots of nice, healthy unprocessed food and they did walk a lot

over 6 months I lost 7kg, and I was absolutely not trying to lose weight!
benisright
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The French are thinner because they dont work. Their economy is rubbish and they are in a shambles. When people have less money, they do more exercise. Britain is doing well economically so we stay inside, ride in our cars, play our computers etc.

Otherwise, the Labour Party of the 1960s 70s not liking sporting competition followed by the Conservative Party of the 1980s selling playing fields in the schools...hasnt helped our obesity levels.
pendragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rosalily)
I thought nuts were really fattening?:confused:
Nuts do have fats, but they are very good for you and they fill you up. The fat in nuts and avocado isnt really likely to make you put on weight, it makes you feel less hungry for all those artificial sugary snacks that are much higher in calories. Some nuts can also lower you cholesterol. So overall despite containing some fat nuts are excellent as appetite-supressing healthy snacks. :p:

The French are generally thinner because they eat smaller portions and less processed food. French girls are known to eat whatever they like, healthy or unhealthy, but eat a smaller amount of it. If you ask me that is the perfect and most satisfying kind of diet which does not lead to being overwieght.
Twaffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I went on a french exchange in February and there was almost nothing to eat as I can't eat fats. The family kept on telling me to eat but I really couldn't or I would have been up all night. My teacher then told me she was worried about me :rolleyes: In the city I was in they had more pedestrain areas so they walk a lot more. But they had quite a few fast food resaurants. As there were strikes in the school we were visiting we only went there for lunch and although some of it is healthy they did also have chips and fried stuff. I was quite hungry by the end
_EMMA_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Marie05)
there's a book written about why french women are thinner than the british! Sorry i cant remmeber the title, but the author came on Richard&Judy! :rolleyes:
She said that french women probably eat as much as us, but they do much more exercise. One of the key points she makes is that they have a slower pace of life and engage more in activities like walking and cycling as means of transport. Also they spend more time cooking/eating and enjoy their food more apparently!
French women don't get fat by Mireille Guiliano
for those of you haven't read it i recommend it. it isn't an ordinary book about diet, more about appreciate food and don't see it as a bad thing.

i think that their genes play a smaller part and that their way of life is the reason to why they are so slim. they have a lot of unhealthy things as well, but they don't eat it everyday. basically everything with moderation. and also excercise regurlarly even though it only means a short walk to school and back.
kateykat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DaintyDuck!)
When I went to Paris last month, I noticed many different things about their way of life. Firstly, the French appear to really enjoy their food. I notice in my college people skip lunch etc, so that when they do eat, their body is not as used to digesting it yadaya. In Paris, you see many people walking around eating baguettes/food (which is generally much more healthy). I mean you don't see fish & chip shops:rolleyes: & they, in general eat when they should, and respect their bodies. If they are hungry, they eat, and so do not fill up on junk. Additionally, I noticed they had really lovely restaurants. One I went into was Paradis Du Fruit, and basically everything was fresh and vegetables/Fruit and then lovely meat. No processed rubbish! They seem to take pride in their food, not to say there aren't junk food places, even McDonalds was on the Champs D'Elysees (gah!).

Fair enough, they enjoy their pastries and cakes, but because their main meals seem to be a lot healthier then it seems feasible that they can eat these sorts of things. Though, I noticed that the French in general, smoke far too much! Yuk.

Another thing I noticed were policemen on skates/more people on bikes etc. This just shows how much more active they are, in comparison to the English!
It's just such a shame that they ruin all this good work by smoking so much! When I was over in France the majority of people smoked loads of cigarettes a day and had really bad hacking coughs as a result of this...I have to say, I do think the amount of smoking they do does contribute to keeping the weight off.
drakonis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
diet+exercise
matchu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Because they are poor.
icedout
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by elbow_fan)
It's just such a shame that they ruin all this good work by smoking so much! When I was over in France the majority of people smoked loads of cigarettes a day and had really bad hacking coughs as a result of this...I have to say, I do think the amount of smoking they do does contribute to keeping the weight off.
*books flight to France*...
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Straas)
Because they are poor.
and there aren't poor people in UK?
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Straas)
Because they are poor.
In the Uk the cheapest food to buy is processed stuff, fattening, nasty, chemical filled stuff...

If you open your eyes.. poorer people are generally fatter.
S-J
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by HagerVor)
In the Uk the cheapest food to buy is processed stuff, fattening, nasty, chemical filled stuff...

If you open your eyes.. poorer people are generally fatter.
Yes, that's what I wanted to say, but didn't want to offend!

All fattening foods are really cheap, everything that you're supposed to eat is really fattening, fresh veg. & fruit for example.

Rich people do tend to me thin and healthy. They can afford organic foods etc. and can afford to have a wide range of veg. and fruit. And can also afford the gym!

Poor people shop were the food isn't good quality and buy everything in bulk, like lots of cheap tins, all food that have special offers on them like cakes, buiscuits, sweets etc.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by saoirse)
ok so dont flame me for making a sweeping statement :p: but it seems like all the french students swarming round my town-and spanish too come to that- are REALLY slim! i dont mean unhealthily so though

When ive been to france, stayin with different families, and my friends have done the same and agree, i dont remember their diets being fantastically healthy, just pretty normal, and chocolatey things for breakfast were normal- talk about refined suger!!!

Plus its the done thing to eat dinner later on the continent, which is meant to be bad for weightgain?:confused:

Is it just that we tend to eat bigger portions here??
French people drink a lot less alcohol to the British. They also do a lot of excercise, and tend to walk a lot more.
global_warning
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They also pause over their food and take time to eat it, consequently, they tend to over eat less.
Just some guy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well all that rioting must be pretty physically demanding. And if your car has been burnt to the ground you have to walk a lot more.

Ok, I'll stop now.
jellybones
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's a combination of eating healthily and getting lots of excersise. Yeah they eat fatty foods, but it's good fat. Unlike the processed, saturated stuff we eat here. They also take excersising a lot more seriously which is something we desperately need to do over here.
jellybones
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
French people drink a lot less alcohol to the British. They also do a lot of excercise, and tend to walk a lot more.
Hmmm... maybe not. They drink lots and lots of wine, but it's often and in relatively small quatites rather than drinking loads in one go as us brits tend to do.
pendragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Drinking small ammounts of red wine frequently is known to be good for you, binge drinking beer and spirits is known to be bad for you.
Blue!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But don't worry, they not have as many fatties as us, but they have a chronic alcoholics problem
Leisure17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
thats all good though

but yeah europeans tend to eat better than we do
I thought the UK was European as well..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.8%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (700)
47.43%

Watched Threads