Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got my driving test booked for in a couple of weeks, but I wondered if anyone knew anywhere where I can get a list of whta counts as majors, minors etc.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi^3)
    I've got my driving test booked for in a couple of weeks, but I wondered if anyone knew anywhere where I can get a list of whta counts as majors, minors etc.
    Thanks.
    Common sense tells me that things like not checking your mirrors regularly is fairly minor and stalling when approaching a roundabout is quite major. However, I stalled on my test and it went down as a minor because it was during a reverse park, wasn't perceived as dangerous as it was an empty road, and I didn't panic... I wouldn't have thought that there's a set list of major/minors because it depends on how you deal with the situation at the time and if others are put in danger. Good luck for your test...
    (Sorry if this wasn't very helpful! :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi^3)
    Thanks.
    Mounting the kerb is pretty major! Can't remember what else now. If you ask your instructor he will go over everything with you and set your mind at rest. He should also tell you what your weaknesses are so you can practise and build your confidence before the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi^3)
    Thanks.
    This site's pretty good: http://www.2pass.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    THanks for that, I just wanted an idea about what goes down as being what, if you know what I mean! I think I'm ok and most things, just struggle with the reverse round the corner, I can get the car roundbut then can't straiten it up that well, but I think I'm ok on most of the other things.
    Does any one know if there are set test routes or are they used ranfom routes that the examainer picks. If there are set routes should my instructor know what they are and be able to show me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi^3)
    THanks for that, I just wanted an idea about what goes down as being what, if you know what I mean! I think I'm ok and most things, just struggle with the reverse round the corner, I can get the car roundbut then can't straiten it up that well, but I think I'm ok on most of the other things.
    Does any one know if there are set test routes or are they used ranfom routes that the examainer picks. If there are set routes should my instructor know what they are and be able to show me?
    My test centre has set test routes and my driving instructor supposedly took me down all of them. Oh, except for the one that my test was on it seems!

ReputationRep:
    I believe hitting a pedestrian counts against you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I believe hitting a pedestrian counts against you.
    In the pre-test, when they ask you to "read out the registration plate on that car", I was always tempted to say "what car?!"

That might have been a bad idea.

They do have set routes, but there are quite a few of them. Again, ask your instructor. He should at least take you out on the worst ones if you haven't done them already.

Don't worry about your manoevres - I did my best ones ever on my test! The test forces you to concentrate more, and most people fail on a collection of minors rather than this bit.

Check your mirrors a lot, and stay alert and calm. You'll be fine.

don't be too hesitant, give them a nice safe drive ( defensive driving )
    am i saying this yet i havent passed yet heh

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't say "N-O V-A-T" when they ask you to read the reg plate, that ad is sooooo annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just one more question. What is this new bit the 'show and tell' type thing. Panicking slightly now as I hardely even now how to open the bonnet let alone check brake fluid, oil etc. Help....

(Original post by Pi^3)
    Sorry, just one more question. What is this new bit the 'show and tell' type thing. Panicking slightly now as I hardely even now how to open the bonnet let alone check brake fluid, oil etc. Help....
    they ask you one show me and one tell me
    if you mess either one up it goes down as one minor.....
    i.e. tell me how you would check to see if the parking brakes are working of you are on your own:
    make use of reflections on the garage/windows and mirrors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi^3)
    Get your instructor to go through it with you. Fortunately I didn't have to suffer that ordeal as by some miracle I passed first time. :confused:

I think there is a list of failable faults on the DSA website, but I'm not sure. Remember that if you commit any minor fault more than three times, it becomes a major. Just look in your mirrors every time you're about to do something, and lots of times in between

i have failed my driving test 3 times ( but i had to change instructor cuz he wasnt teaching me right )

this is what i failed for:

hesistant ( when it was my right of way )
    poor lane discipline on a round about
    going too fast between parked cars
    moving off safely ( 4 minors )

and a couple of others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi^3)
    Thanks.
    Basically the sheet the examiners use has the following on, and you can be marked for a major or minor on any of them, except eyesight, which is only a major:

1a)Eyesight
    b)Highway Code (Categories F/G/H)
    2)Precautions
    3)Control : - accelerator, clutch, gears, footbrake, handbrake, steering
    4)Move Away : - safely, under contol
    5)Emergency Stop: - promptness, contol
    6)Reverse to Left or Right : - control, observation
    7)Turn in the Road: - control, observation
    8)Reverse Parking : - road/carpark, control, observation
    9)Use of Mirrors Well Before: - signalling, changing direction, changing speed
    10)Give Appropriate Aignals : - where necessary, correctly, properly timed
    11)Response to Signs and Signals : - traffic signs, road markings, traffic lights, traffic controllers, other road users
    12)Use of speed
    13)Following distance
    14)Maintain Progress By : - driving at an appropriate speed, avoiding undue hesitation
    15)Junctions : - approach speed, observation, turning right, turning left, cutting corners
    16)Judgement when : - overtaking, meeting traffic, crossing traffic
    17)Positioning : - normal driving, lane discipline
    18)Clearance to Obstructions
    19)Pedestrain Crossings
    20)Position for Normal Stops
    21)Awareness and Planning
    22)Ancillary controls

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi^3)
    Mine was to show where I would put washer fluid (in the plastic tank with a picture of windscreen washers on...) and to show how I'd test the horn (just press it...but make sure the ignition's on otherwise it won't work...)

ReputationRep:
    Quite glad I passed before all this show and tell stuff, sounds crazy!

Doing something like stalling the car isn't necessarily a major, it depends how you get out of it. If you put the hand brake on,check you mirrors etc and move away safely you won't get anything more than a minor. I failed one time for being in the wrong lane at a round about because I didn't do anything about it, then another time I only got a minor because I'd realised my mistake and corrected it safely.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.